Monday, October 30, 2006

Last week was a bit of a rough week. I had a yucky cold. Our landlord forgot to come over to fix the leaking bathroom faucet. The Tigers lost the World Series (wah!). I had to confront someone at work and I hate confrontation (though happily, I felt quite empowered afterwards. Yay me.)

On Saturday I was feeling much better so we drove down to my friend's Halloween party. We had a pretty fun time and G. was even voted best costume for his hilarious Bob Ross getup, which was a big hit.

I thought this week was starting off on the right foot. Then I came home today to find out that the landlord had dismantled the leaky faucet and then just left it there, unusable. I swear he had better come and fix it tomorrow...I assume he needed to get a part or something, but at least make it usable before you just take off for the day! Of course this is the same guy who has his own airplane, waterfront property, etc but still can't scrounge up a few hundred bucks to replace the 1960's-era energy hog refrigerator in our kitchen. [/gripe]

Well, at least I finished up the convertible mittens which were becoming another thorn in my side.G. was so happy to have them that he even showed me his spirit fingers!

As I've mentioned previously, these are based on the Broadstreet Mittens pattern from Knitty, but I made them double-knit rather than single knit. It took me a lot of rip outs and re-do's to get all of the sizing right, due to the fact that I was just winging it when it came to figuring out how to make them in G's size and make them double knit. As a result, they are a bit shoddy. For example the finger lengths are different on the two mittens and the i-cord loop for the buttons are a bit big. But G wore them for work today and they got the stamp of approval, so I guess they'll do!
I was particulary happy with this tubular cast on for double rib, which I followed from Montse Stanley's "Knitter's Handbook." It really blends right in!
Pattern notes:
Double Knit Convertible Mittens, based on the Broadstreet Mittens pattern from Knitty.
Knit with 2 skeins of Gems Quartz merino yarn in color "Finch" (discontinued color)

I am glad that I took copious notes as I altered the pattern, which will make it much easier to knit next time. The pattern is a bit challenging since (a) it is only in one size and (b) it is one of those infamous "make second mitten, reversing all shaping" type of patterns. But I muddled through it and managed to tailor it to my own ideas to boot. See, things are looking up already. Hope your week is looking up too!


Thursday, October 19, 2006

I must apologize for my extended absence from the blog...but I really didn't want to post until I had something completed! And what a "something" I finally finished...
Yes, Flirty Ruffles is knit, blocked, and ready to rock 'n' roll (or at least float 'n' flutter)!
Pattern specs: "Flirty Ruffles Shawl" from Fiddlesticks Knitting.
Yarn: Zephyr wool-silk laceweight in color Black (almost 3 complete skeins used), knit with size 5 needles

Nice pattern with wonderful, large charts. Didn't have any problems the whole time. This did seem to take forever to knit, especially for a slowpoke like me (started Memorial day weekend, so it took about 4.5 months)! I really couldn't be any happier with how it came out.

Now, time to take a deep breath before starting my next big project (which is most assuredly not a lace shawl).


Monday, October 02, 2006

I just loved reading all of your comments about your funny celebrity crushes! Isn't it great to look back and laugh at the utter silliness that is adolescence? Though of course when you're going through it, everything is deadly serious!

I discovered that I was um, a wee bit optimistic thinking that I might be done Flirty Ruffles by this past weekend. I still have 7 or 8 rows, so at the pace I've been going at I might be done sometime next week, unless Columbus Day weekend turns out a bit less busy than I was planning. Like if it rains all weekend or something. Don't worry though, you all will be the first to know when I'm finished! (You'll probably here a loud "WA-HOOOOO!" echoing from the north Maine woods.)

At least I managed to get some fingers onto G's convertible mittens:They look a bit funny on my small hands, but you get the idea. I tried doing the fingers in double knitting but it was way too bulky and uncomfortable, so I re-knit them in single. The thumb is still double-knit though. I've started the second mitten before doing the flap top part, so that I can make sure I have enough yarn to make those in double knit fabric as well.

My knitting time has been cut back a bit because I'm trying to finish canning two big paper bags of apples that we bought. Here's some of my apple butter:I also made apple chutney (which came out kind of eh) and apple jelly (not really worth the effort...I got three measly half pints out of a lot of work). So I think I'll be making apple butter out of the rest, cause it's yummy and easy.

Here's a couple more fall photos for you to enjoy.

Labels: ,