Monday, October 30, 2006

Last week was a bit of a rough week. I had a yucky cold. Our landlord forgot to come over to fix the leaking bathroom faucet. The Tigers lost the World Series (wah!). I had to confront someone at work and I hate confrontation (though happily, I felt quite empowered afterwards. Yay me.)

On Saturday I was feeling much better so we drove down to my friend's Halloween party. We had a pretty fun time and G. was even voted best costume for his hilarious Bob Ross getup, which was a big hit.

I thought this week was starting off on the right foot. Then I came home today to find out that the landlord had dismantled the leaky faucet and then just left it there, unusable. I swear he had better come and fix it tomorrow...I assume he needed to get a part or something, but at least make it usable before you just take off for the day! Of course this is the same guy who has his own airplane, waterfront property, etc but still can't scrounge up a few hundred bucks to replace the 1960's-era energy hog refrigerator in our kitchen. [/gripe]

Well, at least I finished up the convertible mittens which were becoming another thorn in my side.G. was so happy to have them that he even showed me his spirit fingers!

As I've mentioned previously, these are based on the Broadstreet Mittens pattern from Knitty, but I made them double-knit rather than single knit. It took me a lot of rip outs and re-do's to get all of the sizing right, due to the fact that I was just winging it when it came to figuring out how to make them in G's size and make them double knit. As a result, they are a bit shoddy. For example the finger lengths are different on the two mittens and the i-cord loop for the buttons are a bit big. But G wore them for work today and they got the stamp of approval, so I guess they'll do!
I was particulary happy with this tubular cast on for double rib, which I followed from Montse Stanley's "Knitter's Handbook." It really blends right in!
Pattern notes:
Double Knit Convertible Mittens, based on the Broadstreet Mittens pattern from Knitty.
Knit with 2 skeins of Gems Quartz merino yarn in color "Finch" (discontinued color)

I am glad that I took copious notes as I altered the pattern, which will make it much easier to knit next time. The pattern is a bit challenging since (a) it is only in one size and (b) it is one of those infamous "make second mitten, reversing all shaping" type of patterns. But I muddled through it and managed to tailor it to my own ideas to boot. See, things are looking up already. Hope your week is looking up too!

Labels:

8 Comments:

At October 31, 2006 3:39 AM, Blogger Opal said...

Those mittens are gorgeous! I love the colour of the yarn. Yay you for confronting your co-workier! Yay you for conquering the complex patterning of the double knit convertible mittens! Goooo Lobstah! (Okay so it's a little late here and I'm a little punchy. The sentiment is all there!)

 
At October 31, 2006 5:10 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Wow - The mittens are great! They look wonderful - not wonky at all. Hope you have an easier week (and that your landlord fixes your faucet!)

 
At October 31, 2006 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What great mittens, event hough they may have caused you grief, they turned out great.

Glad your feeling better.

 
At November 01, 2006 1:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice! I like the idea of holding the cover back with a button. Did the double knit make them very thick? They look very comfy, and I'd like to try a pair. But I've never knit double-knit, and was looking at the pattern in the September Magknits.

 
At November 01, 2006 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, I need to see pics of the bob ross costume! Hilarious!

The gloves came out awesome! You've really outfitted G's hands very well between these and the fair isle mittens from last winter. I guess proper hand attire is a requirement up in the north woods.

Now, when are you guys coming to CT? :) Are you guys going to boston for that big pub crawl reunion? We're on the fence.

 
At November 01, 2006 11:29 AM, Blogger JustApril said...

IMPRESSIVE! I need to learn that tubular thing. They look very very precise. The color is perfect. All your hard work paid off, BABY - They. Are. AWESOME! Sometimes the projects that irk one the most become the most proud moments when finished.

 
At November 04, 2006 8:31 AM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

Glad you are feeling better. I think we all have yucky weeks when everything seems pressing at the same time. I hope by the time you read this your landlord has a nice new faucet (or repaired old one) for you.

Love the convertable mittens! I don't think I would know how to do them! They look so complicated!!!

 
At November 05, 2006 11:12 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Wow, those are awesome! I know you're glad they are done! Love the yarn color too! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home