Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Sadly, I have a couple of knit-tragedies to report...it all started the day I went skiing and I was frantically trying to find my Panta, which is my go-to winter head wear. I finally remembered that I had last used it a couple days previously on some outdoor site visits for my work. No problem, I thought, I'll just swing by my office and pick it up.

Several minutes later, I ran through the eerie, darkened office (isn't being at your work on a weekend the strangest thing?) to my lovely cube...and...no Panta. I even made a desperate dash outside to the work vehicle that I had used that day...nothin'. I grumpily wore another hat for skiing, and I still haven't found the Panta. I'm starting to think I must have dropped it somewhere on my site visits and it's probably long-gone. So expect to see some sort of head-band type object being knitted up soon...a Calorimetry, perhaps?

Then, an even greater knit tragedy hit...One of G's Stinky Sox somehow ended up with a big, unraveled hole! Eeeks! We were sitting on the couch and G happened to sort of rub his ankle and said "What the...?" Looked down and there was this hole! It looks like the yarn broke, so I wondered if it had gotten caught on something but G said he doesn't remember anything like that. I figured it was sort of a freak thing until I looked at the other one a couple days later, and:The yarn broke along the cuff of the other sock.

After mulling it over, I wonder if I weakened them by machine washing (I did line dry)? I thought Cascade Fixation was machine washable but the Cascade website says to hand-wash. Anyone else machine wash their Fixation? Anyone else have this problem?

I guess this pair is pretty shot now...I thought about ripping it back to the hole and reknitting to fix it, but if the overall sock is weakened it's probably not worth it :( I'm especially sad because they were such a slog to knit.

Anyhoo, it's not all bad news here:
The Victoria Shawl is done and bathing! FO next time!

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At February 05, 2008 11:21 PM, Blogger JustApril said...

OH the humanity! Sorry for such tragedy. =( But the Victorian shawl looks awesome even in a bath =)

 
At February 05, 2008 11:22 PM, Blogger Prachi said...

Bummer. I hate it when that happens! I lost a mitten right after knitting a pair a couple of years ago. Any hope of Panta reappearing? (Sorry that sounds too much like Santa!) As for Cascade, so many of these sock yarns are waay too delicate! My Claudia and Louet Gems socks broke far too quickly for my comfort and the price.

 
At February 06, 2008 12:35 AM, Blogger Opal said...

My condolensces on the two knit tragedies. At least you have a gorgeous new shawl to console yourself with. Can't wait to see the FO pictures!

 
At February 06, 2008 6:32 AM, Blogger OldRound said...

What did you knit your Panta out of? I haven't got around to knitting one yet. I thought I'd make them for presents, but the reality of my pokey knitting pace has made the idea silly. Were the socks a slog because they are socks? Can't wait to see the shawl! Squeal!

 
At February 06, 2008 8:34 AM, Blogger Jana said...

Oh crap! Those are 2 knitting tragedies! I've only made one pair of Fixation socks one and gifted them. I'm almost positive the recipient machine washes them, I swear when I made them Cascade said they were machine washable then too. Hmm... And I would say you could try darning them but I think Fixation might be too bumpy and would be pretty tough to darn... Oh darn...

 
At February 06, 2008 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never used Fixation, and now I'm thinking I won't bother. Poor socks! :-(

 
At February 06, 2008 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post scared me.

Can't wait to see the shawl though!

:-)

 
At February 06, 2008 7:31 PM, Blogger Larjmarj said...

I always machine wash my fixation sock and haven't had any problems. Looks to me like you happened upon a bad skein (batch).

I had some knitting tragedies too...had to frog four rows of a mohair shawl. (LACE). Fun as sticking an addi in your eye.

Blue and bubbly looking...can't wait!

 
At February 06, 2008 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch! What a bummer - it hurt to see those holes! Can't wait to see the shawl...

 
At February 09, 2008 7:50 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

YAY for the shawl getting done! I can't wait to see pictures.

No ideas about the Cascade Fixation, as I haven't used it. It is really frustrating to have a sock destroyed, however. They do take a lot of time. Sorry for your loss =/

 
At February 09, 2008 11:24 AM, Blogger Emma said...

Wow, what a week! Is there anything worse than holes in socks?!?

 
At July 13, 2008 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what happened to those stinky sox - As an expert in feline hijinx, you can be sure that brat Quincy is to blame. He may look innocent, but he's always so mean! Especially to me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home