Friday, May 18, 2007

Lots of happy stripes and happy cats (sometimes) in my corner of the world:This project seems to have 8 million little pieces though...above you see the front and back, two sleeves, and the cute lil' collar (at the bottom). I still need to make the bands for the sleeve bottoms and the shirt bottom (which looks to be rather interminably boring), and pick up and knit the button band at the neck. Still need buttons too, which are impossible to buy in town unless I want real cheapies. Well, I should have some time to knit some of the remaining parts this weekend when I watch G play with his band at a local bluegrass festival. Should be pretty neat!

In other excitement, I received this handspun laceweight in the mail from Rebekah, as a prize from the Blanket of Hope project:I love the crazy colors, but I have been racking my brain trying to think of lace patterns that would work with such strong variegation. I guess it would have to be something very simple. Any suggestions are appreciated; feel free to leave one in the comments!

On a tragic note, one of G's Russian Boots has already sprung a leak in the bottom:Gah! I thought they would last a bit longer as they were made from a rough yarn, but alas I was wrong. I'm sure I can patch this up and make it last a bit longer, but clearly I need to make some felted slippers at some point. I imagine those wouldn't get holes nearly as easily. I do wonder though, is it just me or do guys seem to wear out their clothes so much more quickly? It doesn't seem like G and I live very different lifestyles or anything that would account for this. Perhaps it is just one of those mysteries of the universe?

Finally, a nice daffodil...they've been sprouting all over town despite the raw weather we've been having (I even saw a...gasp...flurry of snow and sleet yesterday morning. Luckily it didn't last long!).Perfect for Project Spectrum this month! Enjoy your weekend!

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

At May 18, 2007 2:53 PM, Blogger Annie said...

Ooh, can't wait to see what those pieces will morph into. That lace yarn is very pretty. Unfortunately I don't know many lace patterns so I can't help you there!

 
At May 18, 2007 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I'll warn you - I had an absolute ton of this stuff, and I made Flirty Ruffles with it. It looks very Mexicany! It actually is pretty, but very bright.

I think a ripple pattern would go well personally.

 
At May 18, 2007 6:45 PM, Blogger JustApril said...

The pieces look awesome so far and you present skein is really pretty

 
At May 18, 2007 6:53 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Wow, those are some stripes! I have no idea on the lace as I have a similar colorway of lace too, so wondering what you'll end up doing!

Yay for daffodils for you finally! :)

 
At May 18, 2007 7:24 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

Wow! A daffodil! That is so nice to see after the late starting and unwilling to leave without a fight winter we've had.

Looking forward to seeing those pieces come together into something cool.

 
At May 18, 2007 7:42 PM, Blogger Opal said...

Great stripes, Batman! The only lace pattern I can think of that might look good with such a variegation of colour is the Forest Canopy Shawl. I'll let you know if I think of any others!

 
At May 19, 2007 2:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummy - these stripes look great! I really can't wait to see them all put together and the stripey goodie in all its glory! And awww, this yarn - gorgeous!

 
At May 19, 2007 6:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The stripes look great - but I hate sewing pieces together! What about a feather and fan for the laceweight? Does the fact you have daffodil mean that the ice hill finally melted?

 
At May 19, 2007 9:29 PM, Blogger Larjmarj said...

Wow you've got a lot of sewing ahead of you can't wait to see it all finished!
As for lace yarn. I am doing the Kevat shawl in a variegated yarn right now and it looks pretty cool.
it's a free pattern on the web, just google it.

 
At May 20, 2007 7:39 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

That cat looks like he is up to no good! ;-)

Heard you are having some visitors next weekend. Wish I could make it!

 
At May 21, 2007 6:33 AM, Blogger Jana said...

That striped sweater is going to be beautiful, and perfect for summer. What about a pi shawl or pi are square shawl for the laceweight? I bought laceweight boucle at school products, it's too detailed to do a patterned shawl so I'm going to try the pi are square sometime this summer.

 
At May 21, 2007 4:35 PM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Yay stripes! I agree--go for something simple and geometric for the laceweight. I made the Raj shawl from Fiddlesticks last summer with a variegated rayon metallic--Here's a pic.

 
At May 22, 2007 10:15 AM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

Nice stipes! What will it evolve into?

I love when the spring bulbs come into their own.... Thanks for sharing.

 
At May 23, 2007 11:45 AM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Tag, you're it! (see my blog)

 
At May 24, 2007 8:44 PM, Blogger Casa Pearl said...

Can't wait to see all those pieces come together and what you end up doing with that lovely yarn! Patti

 
At May 30, 2007 7:23 AM, Blogger Prachi said...

try the leaf lace shawl; the leaf motif is simple enough to show through the variegation. How about a Clapotis, actually?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home