Thursday, March 22, 2007

Yet more icy crap weather this morning. I was supposed to be down to our purchasing department (2 hours away, ha ha) by 9:30 AM (to pick out my new desk chair, whee!) and didn't quite make it until a bit after 10 due to needing to scrape the ice off my car, get to the office, scrape the ice off the work vehicle, and then get stuck behind plows, etc. All was forgotten as my coworker and I had a great time trying out all the different models and getting into deep comparative discussions about the pros and cons of each. OK not really, we were just spinning around in them and figuring out which had the best "lean-back" factor...all in all a good time.

On the way down, we were treated to the amazing specter of a group of five or six deer, walking on two feet of snow and not falling through due to the extremely thick ice crust (enlarge for a better view):Yesterday I finished up a quick knit, a pair of slippers for G after his store-bought ones completely fell apart. These are from the 2007 "Knitting Pattern-a-Day" Calendar, the March 7th pattern entitled "Aunt Dana's Russian Boots".I made them using some of the gigantic Bartlett yarn stash I have lying around. I've really been intending to make some of the very popular felted clogs, but despite washing these swatches I made over and over at the laundromat, I still can't get them to felt satisfactorily. They're close but not quite completely there. Note: I did finally get hot water at the laundromat but I don't think it's quite as hot as you can get in your home machine (cheap laundromat owner!), maybe that's the problem.

Anyway, these will do in the interim. I think it took me three nights total, so they were super fast. The pattern was totally vague, no gauge or sizing information. As a result I think they might be a skooch large. And no, I am not going to try felting them down! ;)

Love this shot of Quincy sneaking up on our photo shoot:

Labels:

18 Comments:

At March 22, 2007 7:22 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

hey chiquita - those russian boots are rad and knit in great colors. Slytherin colors! G's gonna be decked out in all four houses of Harry Potter soon!

PS - A good desk chair is very important! I try to spin in mine at least once a day (much to the amusement of my coworkers).

 
At March 22, 2007 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me it'd be the spin factor, for picking out a new chair.

Love those slippers. I'm gonna have to look back in my calendar.

 
At March 22, 2007 8:22 PM, Blogger OldRound said...

Okay, I feel kind of silly suggesting this 'cause I'm pretty sure you've got the knitting thing down, but could it be that there is not enough agitation at the laundromat? If they are front loading machines?

 
At March 22, 2007 9:29 PM, Blogger Casa Pearl said...

Your Maine Fair Isle is gorgeous and G's sock boots are quite cool. I comisserate on the ice - I finally fell this morning and slid on my butt down a hill - thank goodness I have a lot of padding! Thanks for the encouragement on toe up socks - I mastered my first one - yeah!

 
At March 22, 2007 10:31 PM, Blogger Opal said...

I love those Russian Boots! So sexy. ;-)

 
At March 22, 2007 10:49 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

Those Russian Booties are fabulous!
It has been warming up here. Hopefully some of that warm air will be heading up to you.

 
At March 23, 2007 1:20 AM, Blogger Prachi said...

Those slippers are lovely! I need to find that pattern. I love the felted clogs too, but have the same laundromat problem. These look like they will be a comfy, quick knit.

 
At March 23, 2007 3:19 AM, Blogger Hasbu said...

The Russian slippers look great. I'm thinking I might have to do something similar for my dad.

 
At March 23, 2007 5:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, you still have such a huge amount of snow - will it ever melt away? The bunch that we got a few days ago was gone in a day fortunately - I'm *so* ready for spring here!
Your slippers rock big time, they look perfectly cozy and warm - beautiful!

 
At March 23, 2007 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute slippers! I wish I could get a new chair - mine is legacy from the person that had the job before me and its all stained - very skeevy.

 
At March 23, 2007 10:28 AM, Blogger Beth S. said...

I LOVE your boots! :-) Have you done anything to the soles to make them less slippery, or is that not a problem?

I've only recently found your blog, but I really enjoy it. You choose some fantastic projects. :-)

 
At March 23, 2007 1:40 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Love the Slippers! I bet it was great fun picking out (oops I mean testing out! ;) your new chair!

Cool Deer picture. Poor things probably have a hard time finding the foot too!

 
At March 23, 2007 3:49 PM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Man, I wish had ankles like those deer. The Russian slippers look great--they made us wear a paper version of those over our socks when we were in Leningrad/St.Petersburg about 16 yrs. ago(to protect wood floors in the palaces).

 
At March 23, 2007 7:46 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

Lately I've been hand-felting and had much better results. I sometimes even boil the stuff just to make sure I get them hot enough. It takes longer, but I'm finding that I get more of the look I want...

But, they look great and make me want a new pair of slippers in a bad way.

We didn't get as much of the ice further south along the coast. Which is why I didn't know that my school district had the two hour delay and ended up at work waaaaaay before I needed to! :)

 
At March 24, 2007 5:23 PM, Blogger JustApril said...

They may not be quite as felted as you want, but the warmth looks perfect. Nice rug and wood floors, too =)

 
At March 25, 2007 7:31 PM, Blogger BrownPants said...

Wow! Those slippers are so unusual - Cool!

 
At March 27, 2007 3:51 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

aww cute quincy. I think he's wondering where his boots are. Mr pajama pants.

 
At April 01, 2007 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Lobstah!

I have that same calendar, and I was wondering if it's me, or if the pattern for the lovely felted bowl (on the cover, if I recall - the calendar is in my office) is somewhere in the patterns. I can't seem to find it. I have been looking for a free pattern for a bowl that shape and it's one of the reasons I bought the calendar in the first place, but it beats me where they put it -- or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for any clue you might provide (or link to a similar free pattern). All the best, and hope spring is starting to come to you in Maine.

Best,
Natalie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home