Tuesday, November 21, 2006

RIP Robert Altman. I have yet to see a number his movies, but I LOVE "McCabe & Mrs. Miller", "Gosford Park", and the television series "Tanner 88" (which is so completely hilarious and also intersting). Chaos, humor, grit, beauty...

Speaking of movies, I forgot to mention that I saw the movie "Graveyard Shift" (based on a Stephen King story) back at Halloween. And while it was a truly atrocious movie (especially the extremely poor attempts at a Maine accent) it was cool in that they filmed it at the Bartlett Yarns mill, which I wrote about back in August. They made it look totally creepy by building a fake graveyard next to it. The best part is that they have some good shots of the mule-spinner in action, so check it out if you want to see how it works. Just be sure to ignore...or laugh...at the rest of the movie!

I finished the first vine on the bobble cardigan.Desi Knitter wisely suggested to try k3tog and pass the remaining 2 sts over to finish the bobble, rather than doing k5tog. Since I already started doing it as k5tog (and since my crochet hook crutch is working rather well), I decided to keep going with it and not risk having them look a bit different. Does anyone know if that would matter? Hmmm...maybe I'll have to do a little experiment to see if it makes a difference.

So far the Gems yarn is delightful. It is definitely soft and springy, although I do notice it doesn't look very even as it comes off the needles. That should come out in the wash though. My only other complaint is that I seem to be getting an ever-so-slight leftward bias in the fabric. I was freaking out about this with my gauge swatch but then I started look at some other finished sweaters, and I noticed that almost all of them seem to do that! Therefore I think it's my knitting and not the yarn. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong...but I like all my sweaters so I'm not going to dwell on it too much.

Well hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving (if you are celebrating it of course)! Don't eat too much...oh heck, eat as much as you want! And have at least two servings of pie!

Labels:

10 Comments:

At November 22, 2006 12:58 AM, Blogger Zonda said...

That is awesome looking! All those bobbles!! Wow! :)

 
At November 22, 2006 3:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, your bobble cardigan is coming along so beautifully - the bobbles look great! They're neither too big nor too small which they seem to be too often unfortunately - yours are just perfect and give the cardi a really elegant look! I can't wait to see it finished!

 
At November 22, 2006 6:08 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

The bobbles look great - the cardi is going to be beautiful!

 
At November 22, 2006 9:29 AM, Blogger Jana said...

I had seen a few Altman films but just watched 'Short Cuts' for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was so good, I still think about it. I was bummed to hear about his death too.

That cardigan looks great. Bobbles are hard but they add such great texture!

 
At November 22, 2006 10:23 AM, Blogger Kirsten said...

That bobble-y vine looks wonderful!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

 
At November 22, 2006 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that vine, so soft and springy.

Have a great weekend.

 
At November 22, 2006 4:56 PM, Blogger Opal said...

Look at those bobbles! What a feat! Happy Thanksgiving. :-)

 
At November 22, 2006 6:08 PM, Blogger Emma said...

The sweater is going to be adorable! Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

 
At November 22, 2006 6:13 PM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

Love your bobbled vine!
Happy Thanksgiving to you-

 
At November 23, 2006 10:12 AM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

M*A*S*H!!! I agree, those bobbles are elegant--a rare feat. Happy T-Day! Lots of pie and, hopefully, a kitty pi bed for His Loudship.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home