Monday, August 07, 2006

Hope everyone out there had a fun weekend...I know I did! My friends and I get together every summer for a camping trip, which we did this past weekend. We went to the White Mountains in New Hampshire and had great weather and a great time.

On the way home, I stopped by the Bartlett Yarns mill, which was never open the few other times I've tried to go. But today it was open!
The mill, which has been running in this location for over 180 years, is housed in a BIG old building:I could actually hear the machinery working, but there was a big sign that only employees were allowed, so I didn't try to peek in. I believe the mill is still run by water power from a very pretty stream:
I loved the door where the fleece is dropped off:There is a little factory store, where I purchased a quarter pound of pencil roving (for a whopping $2.50):
I'd been wanting some of this so I can make the "Double Rolled Mittens" from Robin Hansen's book Favorite Mittens, the technique for which sounded really interesting. Not sure when I'll get around to them though!

Labels:

9 Comments:

At August 08, 2006 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, I've always wanted to go to a arn mill! I've been so tempted to buy some bartlett wool...the heathery colors are fantastic! But I hear they aren't very soft. Hmm, I bet the pencil roving is though!

 
At August 08, 2006 12:31 PM, Blogger JustApril said...

Cool! I love the photography, that's a neat old building.

 
At August 08, 2006 7:07 PM, Blogger Casa Pearl said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend. Can't wait to see what you do with your roving!

 
At August 08, 2006 8:15 PM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Beautiful pictures! Sounds like you had a nice weekend - can't wait to see how you spin the roving.

 
At August 08, 2006 9:49 PM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

The White Mtns. are such a treat at this time of year--lucky you! Down by the old millstream....

 
At August 09, 2006 1:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your trip to the Mill sounds like so much fun, and I really loved the pics you posted - it looks so old and cool, I'd love to have a look around there as well! Looking forward to seeing what you're going to do with your roving!

 
At August 09, 2006 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow that's really cool. I'd love visit the Northeast so I can see things like that. I swear in Iowa "old buildings" are from the 1970's and not very inspiring.

 
At August 10, 2006 12:17 AM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

What a fun weekend!! and your photos are stunning. Nice composition and great subjects.
I love white yarn - it looks so cozy.

 
At August 10, 2006 1:14 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

How cool!! That looks like a very interesting trip!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home