Wednesday, February 18, 2009

You know what they say about best laid plans, etc etc...well this past weekend was a case in point. Here was what I thought my weekend was going to go like:

Friday morning--Go to work until 11 AM, then leave for trip to CT to visit parents for weekend.
Friday night through Monday AM--Hang out with parents in CT.
Monday afternoon--Drive back to Maine.
Tuesday morning--Return to work.

Here is what actually happened:

Friday morning--Wake up feeling a little "off". Notice a cough starting up. Go to work anyway. Return home at 11 AM. Start feeling really crappy. It's a cold! Hooray!
Friday afternoon--Call mom to tell her it looks like I won't be coming.
Friday night through Sunday morning--Nurse myself through the nasty cold.
Sunday morning--G. starts coughing. Oh boy, he's sick too! My cold still isn't gone yet either.
Sunday afternoon through Monday evening--Two people nursing themselves through nasty cold. Such a fun way to spend the long weekend.
Tuesday morning--Feeling somewhat recovered and return to work.
Wednesday afternoon--Get a call at work from G. Now he has the stomach flu, too. Ai!

Yeah, not-so-good things happening on this end. It's almost inevitable that I'm going to get the evil stomach flu too...although the mysterious thing is that we have no idea where said stomach flu came from. G last left the house on Saturday, and we really did not have any contact with anyone since then. That seems like a long time for a stomach bug to incubate, but who knows. We also ate all the same foods so I don't think it's food poisoning. I'm thinking maybe I'm some kind of typhoid Mary, ha ha ha.

I actually did finish up my Dale cabled raglan sweater a few weeks ago, but only getting around to posting it now.Pattern notes:
Dalegarn Raglan Sweater, pattern #15206 from Dalegarn #152
Dale "Baby Ull" in color #5755, on 2.25 mm needles
This was a pretty straightforward pattern, though time-consuming. I made the 3-4 year old size and it's not quite as quick as those little baby patterns I was doing last year! I didn't find any problems with the pattern. The one thing I did realize is that making a reverse stockinette sweater in the round, well, sort of defeats the purpose of knitting in the round! Lots of purling, yup. It didn't really bother me though, except when I was starting the sleeves on DPN's...it was impossible to make the fabric smooth at those points where I switched from needle to needle. You can see the lack of smoothness in this shot of the sleeve:It isn't full-on laddering, but I had to do some major tightening and tweaking to get it to be even this smooth. I also tried moving the "join" point back and forth a few stitches every few rounds but it didn't really help much. If anyone knows a foolproof way to work reverse stockinette in the round without having this happen, please enlighten me!

Oh, and I still can't get the color to photograph right. This is about the best I could do:Which brings me to another sad thing...I feel like my camera's performance is starting to decline a bit. I don't know if that's even possible (or normal), but it just seems like I can't get as sharp photos as I used to. I am still working on finding the best place in my house for natural lighting, but still... I also tried cleaning the lens so I don't think that's the problem. It's about 3 or 4 years old (which is probably ancient in terms of consumer electronics, ha ha) and to be honest I have not treated it with total and complete TLC (sorry, camera!). So, I've been perusing cameras a bit on line but I doubt that I'll buy anything very quickly unless my camera totally dies. Mostly because I have no idea what I would even want. It would be so fun to get an DSLR and be able to take some crazy pictures, but the $$ situation isn't super flush right now. Plus, they're kind of big and inconvenient when you're on the go, just taking some snapshots. Now, in an ideal world I would get BOTH, but alas...

Gonna shuffle my McGlumly self off now, and hope that the vomit bug doesn't attack me next!

Labels:

8 Comments:

At February 19, 2009 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry that you had the stomach flu.

Maybe the camera prices will drop after the Consumer Electronics Show last month, which is when they often introduce the new models.

 
At February 20, 2009 8:21 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

Yuck, sorry you and G are all sorts of sick. Hopefully, you won't get the stomach bug, too. Maybe it just had a long incubation period or maybe Quincy's been sneaking out and licking sick people, then returning home with germs? Also, the Dale sweater looks awesome!

 
At February 20, 2009 10:05 AM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

Sorry you have all been sick. Lots of that going around here too...

Dale raglan look GORGEOUS!!!

 
At February 20, 2009 2:47 PM, Blogger Opal said...

oh i'm so sorry to hear the two of you have the crud. i wish you both a speedy recovery.

at least you have a gorgeous sweater to comfort you!

lately i've felt like my camera has been letting me down too. though that might be more the fault of the user. :P

 
At February 27, 2009 5:08 PM, Blogger JustApril said...

GREAT sweater! About the only way I can get completely even in the round is with a circular needle and doing magic loop b/c you can really yank the stitches tight on the cable.
As for reverse stockinette in the round, I'd probably just knit it from the inside, you know, working on the inner part of the round instead of the outside, or do it inside out. (and then go to the front when it comes to the cabled parts)

 
At March 02, 2009 9:14 PM, Blogger Casa Pearl said...

Hope you and G are fully recovered - there's been a lot of stuff going around this year. Your sweater is gorgeous.

 
At March 05, 2009 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right, that totally sucks.

I hope you are both feeling better very soon and have amuch nicer weekend this weekend.

 
At March 08, 2009 5:38 PM, Blogger Rina said...

The sweater looks awesome!!!
Aww.. sick is just annoying. Hope you all get better soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home