Friday, November 14, 2008

Has it really been over two months since my last post? How embarrassing. I seriously was considering just walking away from this thing but today I suddenly felt the urge to write something. So, here I am (even if no one else is still out there reading).

The good thing about not posting in for so long is that I have lots of finished objects to show you! First up is a Hoover Baby Blanket that I made for my friend Kelly, who is due any day now with her first (for all I know she might be having the baby right now, lol).This was knit with Louet Gems Worsted (one of my desert-island yarns) in Cream and Champagne. I ain't gonna lie, this was a horribly boring project, but the end result is so squishy and comfy that it was worth it. Plus, the nerd in me cannot resist the history aspect of the pattern.One annoying aspect is that the garter stitch border takes up more length than the double-knit center, resulting in the ripply edges you see above. Strangely, the pattern recommends you add more rows to the borders which I thankfully did not do, but this still did not fully alleviate the problem. However, I think it came out fine overall and the recipient seemed to like it, so I'm happy.My next finished object, which I really don't want to dwell on too much, is the Orchid cardigan. While the piece came out quite well, it just does not fit me...not even close...as evidenced by this photo:Eek! I am pretty sad about the whole thing :( Where I went wrong was with the gauge swatch--I pinned it out much harder than I would be able to block the finished piece (this is one thing I hate about one-piece/in-the-round items--they are so awkward to block). Since the sizing is based on your gauge swatch and personal measurements, it was doomed from the beginning. The worst part is that I could see it was too small when I would try it on as I progressed, but I figured it would block out OK. I also wish I'd used a bit larger hook, as the fabric is not as drape-y as it should be. I guess for my first crocheted piece, it's not too bad, but obviously it's not what I was hoping it would be either. Actually, if there is anyone out there who this might fit, I would love to send it to you because it won't be getting much use here. I think it would fit some one with a 32" bust. Feel free to email me if you're interested (my email is in my profile).Pattern notes: "Orchid" by Lily Go.
Yarn: Rowan 4ply Cotton in "Bloom", on 3.25 mm hook
The pattern lovely--clear and clever. It basically has a whole worksheet to calculate how many motifs you need for your size based on your gauge swatch, etc. I thought that was pretty neat (maybe that's normal for crochet patterns? I dunno.). The yarn is one I've used before and liked--very high quality and the color is gorgeous. I'm only sad that I wasted it on something I can't wear. But there's no way I'm unraveling this thing. Can you imagine the kinks? ;) Maybe in a couple years I might try to make a new one that actually fits.

I'm super-close to finishing something that's been hibernating for quite a while--G's Sapporo (Rav link). I notice that I last blogged about it in March--yikes! I also started what will hopefully be a quick project for Christmas for a friend's son, Raglan Swater 15206 (Rav Link) from Dalegarn 152 (it is the cabled sweater in the first to last row).Whew, I guess that is enough catching-up for now. I'll leave you with a picture I took on Veteran's Day (which we had off, yay!), when we took a walk on a place near here called Mackworth Island. The colors of the ledge are really interesting:Take care, and I'll try to be back sooner rather than later!

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At November 14, 2008 4:57 PM, Blogger Joansie said...

I love the baby blanket. Hope to see a picture of the baby wrapped in it.

Wish my bust size were 32" (sigh). Sweater is beautiful!

Now, for the Macworth photo, it is making me homesick. This Southern Maine gal left her heart in Maine.

 
At November 14, 2008 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I completely understand the need for a break. But I'm glad you posted again.

The blanket is very nice, even with the ripples, and besides when its wrapped around the baby, no one will ever notice. Baby blankets are rarely laid flat.

:-)

 
At November 15, 2008 1:46 AM, Blogger Tania said...

I hate when FO's come out too small after all that trouble! It still looks beautiful, nonetheless!

 
At November 15, 2008 1:47 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

hey, glad to see you're posting again! I'm still pregnant, but hoping to go into labor at any moment (fingers crossed). I can't wait to wrap the baby up in her beautiful blanket! (Everytime I open her wardrobe, I can't help but take the blanket out - I love it that much!)

Even if you think the sweater has its issues, I can't tell from the pictures and think you can pull it off. The corally color is great on you, too.

We'll keep you posted when the baby finally decides to show up!

 
At November 15, 2008 6:17 PM, Blogger JustApril said...

Very nice baby blanket. Maybe you could wear the cardi unbuttoned? I think it looks kinda cute on you =)

 
At November 16, 2008 5:32 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Welcome back :) I missed seeing your projects - they all look great!

 
At November 16, 2008 5:35 PM, Blogger Larjmarj said...

Welcome back!! I think everything looks great despite the "design elements".

 
At November 21, 2008 11:02 PM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

I love the Orchid pattern. Can't you crochet a few more rows on the front bands and move the buttons? Just work one ch less at the V. For a first crochet project, it's really impressive. I love the Macworth photo and those gorgeous colors.

 
At November 24, 2008 12:54 PM, Blogger Opal said...

love the baby blanket. i think the sweater is super cute! i adore the picture of the ledge. it's just gorgeous!

 
At November 30, 2008 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photo! Looks like it's right out of the Hudson River School! Hope you had a good trip home from your Thanksgiving dinner, but I wish you had taken Hattie with you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home