Sunday, June 22, 2008

Hello all, and happy summer! Although it hasn't seemed all that summer-like here, given that it looks like this 99% of the time:Well, I exaggerate a bit--it's just been really unsettled. When I wake up, it looks like it's about to rain. Then in the late morning it clears up and stays beautiful until around 4 PM, when these really black, stormy looking clouds move in. And yet, we are not really getting any thunderstorms either, which makes me a bit sad! (Edit: My whining must have worked because it is starting to thunder as I write this, woo hoo!) One thing I am happy about, though, is that it has been relatively cool--in the 70's almost every day. I am not a lover of hot weather!

I'm still chugging along on my Orchid cardigan. Last week was oh-so-exciting as I blocked out the partially-finished piece and tried it on (it is a top-down construction).It seemed to fit OK so I have separated the sleeves from the body and have started the waistband.
Since this is my first "real" crochet experience (with the exception of some edgings and such), it is interesting to sort of compare and contrast this craft with knitting. Knitting will always be my "true love", but crochet has its good points too. Hmm, time for a little pro/con list...

What I like about crochet:
1) Tends to go pretty quickly (although this cardigan is taking longer than I expected, I think because the yarn is fine and just cuz I'm a newbie).
2) When you have to rip back due to a mistake, you only have one loop to pick back up, instead of a kajillion. Makes frogging slightly less painful!
3) I like the "free-form" feel of crochet--not sure if I can explain this right--it just feels less structured than knitting?
4) At least for now, it's a fun challenge to try to figure out how everything works. It definitely made me realize how second-nature knitting has become to me.
5) Cool textures and stitch patterns!

What I don't like about crochet:
1) This is probably more from being new and not having my technique figured out yet, but it does seem to fatigue my wrist and hands much more quickly than knitting. But, I remember when I first started knitting it took awhile to relax and find a knitting style that didn't wreak havoc on my wrists. So, this may not be permanent!
2) When I am working on it, I have to be looking at the piece almost constantly, unlike knitting which I can do without looking. This makes it harder to read or watch a movie while crafting.

See, far more positives than negatives! I think I will be crocheting, at least occasionally, from here on out.

I just uploaded the Summer of Socks 2008 button to my sidebar. I joined this knit-along on a whim, as I have a small stock of sock yarn that's been hanging around that I'd really like to knit up. It's actually only enough for five pairs of socks but I think that should easily take me through the summer! Yesterday I started my first pair, out of some Regia Cotton Color that G's mom bought me as a gift :)These are going to (hopefully) be Melanie's Twist Socks, which is actually just a stitch pattern, not a whole sock pattern. I really like the subtle wave texture, and it seems like it will go well with those summery blues.

That's about all I have to write about now--hope everyone has a good week!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At June 22, 2008 10:15 PM, Blogger Jana said...

I totally agree about the crochet, I find it hurts my wrists more than knitting and I still have to look at it constantly, which is something I don't have to do with knitting. I do think crochet uses yarn faster though, that's why I still love making granny squares with my scraps. Someday it will be an afghan, someday!

 
At June 23, 2008 2:01 AM, Blogger Opal said...

I actually had a harder time with knitting then with crocheting, but I think that's because I started out with crochet then turned to knitting. I hate that crochet uses so much more yarn then knitting and tends to be so much bulkier.

I do love the way your cardi is coming out though!

 
At June 23, 2008 6:38 PM, Blogger Larjmarj said...

Our sky has been looking a lot like that too.

I like crochet but it uses more yarn and I have a really hard time following a pattern for crochet.

 
At June 23, 2008 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know how to crochet so I can't comment - but the cardigan is really cute. Love the socks!

 
At June 23, 2008 11:24 PM, Blogger Rina said...

Me too. I like crochet lately. But my wrist hurts in about half hour later than I am when knitting for hours and hours. Maybe I need to find a different way to hold the hook.

That is your cardigan? First I thought it was a shawl because of the shape. It looks lovely. I can't wait to see the finished result.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home