Sunday, May 11, 2008

This past week was filled with those "short/long" days...y'know, where you're so busy that it feels like the day flies by, but once the end of the day comes, you feel soooo tired and you realize it was kind of a long day? Yup, that describes my week perfectly!

The best news is that Thursday night was my last final, and I think I did good in both my classes! Yay! I think this calls for ice cream cake and ale, don't you?Now, I didn't buy ice cream cake just to celebrate the end of the semester. G turned 30 on Thursday so now he is officially "old", LOL! I know you all are going to make fun of us for saying 30 is old, but it's just a running joke we've had--since I am 5 months older than him he loves to remind me about how "old" I am!This cake is adorable, but I was pretty sad because I could not find one of my beloved Carvel cakes :( There isn't a Carvel franchise in this state but at least the grocery stores were selling the cakes. I guess no more! One store I went to even had the special Carvel cooler but it was empty and unplugged. I guess that will be just another thing I have to make sure to get when I'm in Connecticut! The one I bought is a Friendly's one, and it was pretty good but they use hard ice cream rather than soft serve. Also, the icing is just different--there's something about Carvel frosting that I love!

In the rush of studying and the crazy work-week, I did not get much knitting done. I do have a new project to show, though...and it's crochet! Gasp! I had a bundle of a deep pink Rowan 4-ply cotton that I thought would make a nice crochet top. I ended up picking this design:This is the Orchid cardigan from LilyGo--who really has some cute designs! I am also eying the Sunshine Top for a future project. Orchid was probably an overly ambitious choice, since I am a total amateur at crochet (only used it for edgings), but I'm up for the challenge. Here's what the stitches are looking like so far:Not bad, huh? The pattern is so well written and definitely worth the price. I don't know if it's typical of crochet patterns, but I find it neat that there isn't standard sizing with this, you basically make a swatch and she has you do all the calculations to come up with a custom fit. Cool!

In other good news, Sapporo has been beaten into submission and I'm just about ready to start the color work of the main body. Unfortunately, with warm weather coming I probably won't be in the mood to work on it for much longer. So, it may have to hibernate until fall!

Thanks for your sweet comments on the bear I made--I didn't even think about the fact that he doesn't really look knitted, but everyone pointed it out. I accomplished this by having the reverse stockinette side as the outside, so you can't really see the rows of stitches. Plus, it was just a really thick boucle that hides stitches well!

Just in case you were wondering:Yeah. Don't be coming to Maine any time soon! ;)

Labels:

11 Comments:

At May 11, 2008 7:35 PM, Blogger Jana said...

That cardigan is beautiful, and I love the color red you chose. And the ice cream cake looks delish. My favorite part is always the frosting and the stuff they use for the writing. Delish!

 
At May 11, 2008 8:08 PM, Blogger Opal said...

Cute cardigan! If 30 is old, I must be ancient. ;-)

 
At May 11, 2008 8:32 PM, Blogger Prachi said...

It's a beautiful colour you chose for the cardigan! Congratulations on finishing the course and exams!

 
At May 12, 2008 1:38 PM, Blogger Rina said...

Crochet has finally gotten to you huh? I find crochet is addicting. And the top is very lovely with the color that you have.

 
At May 12, 2008 3:16 PM, Blogger Larjmarj said...

Cardi is gorgeous! Can't wait to see yours.

Mr.Larj had run in's with black flies in Quebec on a fishing trip. He said it was miserable.

 
At May 12, 2008 3:34 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

MMMM Ice cream!! I have been craving it every day and got really jealous seeing that cake, even if it isn´t Carvel. My favorite ice cream here is spaghetti ice cream - they push the ice cream through something like the fuzzy pumper barber shop thing and it makes spaghetti. Then they put strawberry sauce all over it for the sauce. It´s cool! Wish you and G were joining us for vacation - won´t be the same without you! Tell G happy birthday! You guys are old.

 
At May 13, 2008 10:23 AM, Blogger Brahdelt said...

The cake looks delicious, too bad I'm on a diet, sort of... *^v^*
I tried some crocheting myself but I frogged everything, I really must practice first! ^^

 
At May 13, 2008 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cardigan is very cute - love the color! Congrats on finishing your semester!

 
At May 20, 2008 9:26 AM, Blogger Hasbu said...

Very cute cardigan! I can't wait to see it finished.

 
At May 21, 2008 10:13 AM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

Mmmmm - ice cream, cake, cardi and good finals. Way to go :-)

 
At May 29, 2008 2:19 AM, Blogger Tania said...

haha...yuck...gotta watch out for those black flies. Cute cardi! I'm too much of a chicken to try any crochet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home