Sunday, March 16, 2008

I have run into sad times with the Sapporo sweater. For some reason I just cannot keep a consistent gauge on this project! I failed to mention in my last post that I had to rip and re-knit the second sleeve three times to get proper gauge. Then, after knitting about seven inches of that boring black stockinette body, I found that my gauge was too loose. Switched to smaller needles and knit about three inches...still a bit loose. I am already down to a 2.75 mm needle, too. I think the bulk of so many stitches on the needle (obviously, it's knit in the round) is making me knit really loosely. So, Sapporo has gone into time-out for the moment. Given how late it is in the winter season, I may end up putting it into hibernation until fall and hopefully my enthusiasm for it will return. I do hate to do that though, because I find it really difficult to get back into the rhythm of a project after a long break.

Thank goodness for small, colorful projects to make me feel better! In a pensive mood:This is the Purl Beret and Mitt Envy fingerless mitts. Not much to say other than that they are quick, cute patterns! And I am very happy with the Socks that Rock yarn, especially the beautiful colors.
Pattern Notes:

1) "Purl Beret" by Isabelle from Purl Soho, free pattern linked above. Simple pattern, followed to a T with no problems!

2) "Mitt Envy" by Weezalana, free pattern linked above. I like that she gave separate directions for the right and left mitts, as it saved those few moments of trying to figure out the reverse shaping. There was one weird thing, I'm not sure if it was an error or just me being confused (I would bet on the latter). After putting the thumb stitches onto a holder, it doesn't have you "bridge the gap" by casting on extra stitches like most mitten patterns. The pattern does say to to pick up an additional seven stitches when start to work the thumb later, which seems like it would be hard without having those "gap" stitches? I dunno--anyway, I just cast on six stitches over the gap and it seemed to work (five probably would've been better).

3) Yarn for both: Socks that Rock Lightweight in color "Peaseblossom", knit on 2.5 mm needles. Nice and squishy, pretty colors, knit up beautifully--what more could you ask for?Next up--something cute, cuddly, and made in craft store yarn...Hmmm...

11 Comments:

At March 17, 2008 12:02 AM, Blogger Larjmarj said...

Love the hat and mitts! I have also been stuck on frustration island with my knitting so I went to quick and easy just to keep my sanity.

Cuddly? Acrylic? Hmmmmmm...........indeed.

 
At March 17, 2008 8:06 AM, Blogger OldRound said...

At least you're experienced enough to know you aren't getting gauge, rather than blazing ahead.
You look great in your beret!

 
At March 17, 2008 8:32 AM, Blogger Jana said...

I've been having gauge issues lately too. I'm beginning to wonder why I bother swatching. It seems to change for no reason and I end up changing needles mid project and praying for blocking to help. I can imagine with colorwork it's probably an even bigger problem.

Love that mitt pattern, I like how the cable pattern looks like stockinette with not a lot of purls.

 
At March 17, 2008 11:38 AM, Blogger Prachi said...

How pretty! Love the colours, and you look very very stylish in that picture by the window!

 
At March 17, 2008 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very pretty! How many skeins for the set?

And I'm sorry about Sapporo. At least there's a lot of plain knitting in there, so you don't have the pain of ripping out a ton of colorwork...

 
At March 17, 2008 5:07 PM, Blogger Opal said...

Beautiful set! I'm glad they helped with the Sapporo blues.

 
At March 18, 2008 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the hat and mitts - and sorry that Sapporo is giving you such a hard time. Hopefully by the time you get back to it it will be much better behaved!

 
At March 22, 2008 2:45 AM, Blogger Rina said...

OOooo noooo. I hate when my gauge changed in the middle of a project. That happens to my Collegiate Pullover. I had to rip my sleeve like 2 times because the row-gauge got looser.

You're like me. My gauge changed when I haven't picked up my project for a while which kind of sad.

Cute beret! I do want to knit myself one, but don't know which one I'll choose. Lovely set.

 
At March 25, 2008 6:58 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

oooo, sorry to hear about the Sapporo sweater. That's odd. I knit too tightly, so we're opposite on the spectrum. I love the hat and mits, though! Very nice colors.

I was looking for your email, to reply to your comment about the birthday cake we made at the slumber party. I love the idea of t-shirts and puff paints!

 
At March 25, 2008 8:27 PM, Blogger Casa Pearl said...

Sorry to hear your sweater is not cooperating but your hat and mitts are gorgeous. If this cold weather keeps up, you will get some good wear out of them before it warms up - if it ever does!

 
At April 16, 2008 4:45 PM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Quick knits are a joy indeed--hope spring has hit Maine!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home