Sunday, January 13, 2008

We had a bit of rough week here at our house...poor Quincy had to have all of his remaining teeth yanked (he was already missing about a third of them).Sad little beast. Unfortunately the post-op care included an antibiotic pill two times a day and as I'm sure many of you know, cats + pills = no fun. Finally on the second day we picked up some Pill Pockets from the vet, and they totally made my week. Quincy wolfed 'em down like they were nothing, despite the rather large pill inside. I would definitely recommend trying these the next time you have to medicate your cat!

Anyway, he is starting to get back to normal and doesn't seem too fazed by the lack of teeth. Animals are stoic about these things, I guess. As sad as it is, it seems like it will be a good thing in the long term, since apparently his mouth was probably in serious pain before. I only wish that one of our past vets had paid a bit more attention to his dental care--no one had ever said a thing to us!

I picked up my Victoria Shawl again a few weeks ago, which I last blogged about in September (!). Trying to get back into the rhythm of the thing was a bit challenging, as my new edging was not looking the same as the previously completed edging. After numerous rips and re-dos, I realized that the edging was supposed to be done as garter-stitch lace (which is what I was now making by reading the charts correctly) and I had originally started it in stockinette lace! Well, no way was I ripping back to do it the "right" way, so now I have a garter-based center and a stockinette-based edging. I think shawls usually use the same type of lace throughout, but it looks OK to me! Hopefully that won't create a blocking nightmare.

Thanks for your comments on my Setesdal cardigan! I know a lot of people wouldn't make something that labor-intensive for a baby, since it would be outgrown so quickly, but I did have a bit of an ulterior motive in making it. I have been planning to make G a fair-isle ski sweater but wanted to try something a bit smaller for my first steeking project, just so I could gain some understanding of the construction. Setesdal was perfect for that, and now I am ready to start the "big" project:That is the very first cuff of the Dale of Norway "Sapporo 2007" ski sweater. I am using Dale Falk for the yarn, and it's amazing how much bigger this yarn is compared to the Baby Ull used for Setesdal. It already feels like it's going to be fast knitting, although I do have miles of stockinette for the body so I may be singing a different tune later!

Before I close my post, I wanted to let you all know that I may be posting less frequently for the foreseeable future (although I've only been posting about 2 to 3 times a month anyway, so maybe it won't be that noticeable, ha ha). I'm taking a couple of night classes which will probably keep me from knitting and posting as much. Like a lot of people, I debate a lot on how long I want to keep this blog thing going...I don't like writing all that much (which probably shows) and really started it just to keep a "scrapbook" of projects. Even though Ravelry has taken over a lot of that "scrapbook" function, I figure I'll keep this thing going at least a bit longer since it's still fun to share non-knitty aspects of life. So, I'll be still seeing you around though perhaps a bit less frequently! Take care, and have a great week!

Labels:

15 Comments:

At January 13, 2008 6:54 PM, Blogger Larjmarj said...

The ski sweater is off to a good start! Miles and miles of stockinette? Bleah...I know how you feel. I have ADD when it comes to a few inches.

I know what you mean about the blogging thing. Sometimes I feel like I am just venting about boring stuff but someone must be reading it.

I do enjoy reading about your everyday stuff. Your nature photos are great too. Don't get much of that kind of scenery living in the inner ring burbs of Detroit.

 
At January 13, 2008 6:59 PM, Blogger Larjmarj said...

BTW... one of my dalmatians had to have extensive dental surgery and did great afterwards. Animals are so much more adaptable than people. They're never bothered by their "handicaps".

 
At January 13, 2008 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ski sweater is going to be amazing - what a great pattern! Understand about blogging, but hope you don't go away completely!

 
At January 13, 2008 9:33 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Oh my gosh! It hurts my heart that Quincy's had his poor little teeth yanked out! At least he's coping okay.

please please please keep blogging. how will I know what's going on with you all? we'd actually have to talk on the phone / email like normal people!

 
At January 14, 2008 10:00 AM, Blogger Brahdelt said...

Cat dental care can be a problem and it's important to spot the first signs of any teeth troubles. Our kitty also had some teeth removed and she seemed happy right after the operation, probably because the pain stopped. If only they were more communicative so we could understand them better! *^v^*
I'm looking forward to your ski sweater, I'm still a biy afraid of steeking... ^^

 
At January 14, 2008 1:02 PM, Blogger JustApril said...

Sorry about your kitty cat. =( We can keep up with you in Ravelry, at least. If blogging isn't fun anymore...why do it? right? =) I'll miss ya, though.

 
At January 14, 2008 3:24 PM, Blogger OldRound said...

Poor poor cat!

If you only ravelry than readers who don't knit/crochet but like to read your blog will miss you. I just signed up for ravelry which I hope will help me with my stash, though my stash is 20+ years old, so maybe not!

 
At January 15, 2008 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the ski sweater pattern. Just keep plowing through the st st to get to the fun yoke.
I cut my first steek! I put photos up on ravelry. I think it came out right...
Best to Quincy.

 
At January 15, 2008 1:35 PM, Blogger Jana said...

Oh poor Quincy!!!! I hope he's feeling better. Those pill pockets do look like genius! We had a little pill popper thing that was like a stick you used to put the pill at the back of their throat, still kind of traumatic but better than getting bit.

I love that ski sweater. I think you're totally up for it. It will be beautiful!

 
At January 15, 2008 4:09 PM, Blogger Opal said...

Poor Quincy! I heard about the Pill Pockets but I haven't been able to find any locally. My Quincy already has a problem with gingivitis.

Blog as frequently or infrequently as you wish. I just hope you don't give it up completely. I do so love hearing from you. As useful as it is, I think Ravelry lacks the personal contact that blogs have.

 
At January 17, 2008 7:08 PM, Blogger Larjmarj said...

check out my blog, I left you a little something ;-)

 
At January 18, 2008 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I love that sweater, I was just thinking about buying the pattern for my husband. I think you were very wise to do a small project first before jumping into the big one.


And poor Quincy! I'm glad he's managing fine though. And I'll remember that about pills, my mom and sister have cats. The dogs always eat pills like we gave them candy! Strange pups.

 
At January 19, 2008 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow, you're doing Sapporo! This is exciting. Even if you're not posting as often, I will be pretty excited to see your progress pics. I was thinking that 2008 would be the year I took on my first Dale project, and it would be great to learn along with you. :-)

 
At January 21, 2008 6:45 PM, Blogger C+SK said...

I hope poor Quincy is all better!!

Evening classes, how fun - what are you taking?

 
At January 24, 2008 3:39 PM, Blogger DeanB said...

I just found your blog from the link on larjmarj's. Hope you keep posting, even if it's what you said about a place to keep notes about knitting projects, but especially the nature / scenery pics. My wife & I are still looking for places to walk in ME

 

Post a Comment

<< Home