Sunday, January 06, 2008

The Setesdal Cardigan is complete--and despite making the 12-18 months size it looks more like a 3 year old size to me. Better than being too small, but I guess baby will have to grow into it!All the finishing was pretty time-consuming, but I love how the edgings do double-duty as a tidy little facing to cover the raw edges: I just got some cheapie metal buttons at Joann's but I think they are in the spirit of the traditional pewter buttons used on Norwegian sweaters without being too flowery/girly:Overall, this was a fun and surprisingly speedy knit given the complexity of the sweater (I think it took about 2.5 months, and I was working on other projects concurrently). There are a couple things I'm not happy with--one is that I made the sleeves a bit too long. The other is that it would look better with a wider section of plain blue knitting between the design at the top of the sleeves and the sleeve join. It's shown that way in the pattern photo but the charts just show two rounds of plain blue before knitting the reverse-stockinette facing. I should've taken my cue from the photo rather than the chart but I just wasn't sure whether that would be a problem, never having made this type of sweater before. Oh well, not a major deal.
Pattern: "Setesdal" from Dale of Norway book #8101 "Favorite Baby Designs"
Yarn: Dale of Norway Baby Ull in colors 5545 blue and 0020 natural, knit on size 2.5 mm needles.

Before I go, here are a couple of my attempts from New Year's Eve at taking some pictures of the cool holiday decorations downtown. They look better in real life ;)

Labels:

10 Comments:

At January 06, 2008 3:54 PM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

Setesdal came out looking FABULOUS! Congratulations.

Looks like a nice New Years Eve :-)

Have a great week-

 
At January 06, 2008 4:23 PM, Blogger OldRound said...

Lovely work! Bigger is always better for kids. Get more wear out of it.

 
At January 06, 2008 5:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sweater is gorgeous - wow - lucky baby! Great job!

 
At January 06, 2008 6:37 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Wow, C, the sweater came out amazing! It looks so neat and even - I'm impressed. And kids don't care if their sweaters are form fitting, it's better to be on the big side. They'll wear it a couple winters.

 
At January 06, 2008 8:14 PM, Blogger Opal said...

What a beautiful cardigan. The buttons are such a nice touch.

 
At January 06, 2008 8:58 PM, Blogger Larjmarj said...

Amazing work on the sweater! Wow!!

Love the glowing psychedelic trees!

 
At January 07, 2008 1:05 AM, Blogger Hasbu said...

That is fabulous! I'm sure the baby will love it!

 
At January 07, 2008 8:33 AM, Blogger Jana said...

That's the nice thing about knitting for kids they will grow into it eventually. It looks beautiful. Congrats!

 
At January 07, 2008 2:08 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Wow! That is awesome! Neat buttons too!

 
At January 09, 2008 9:21 PM, Blogger Casa Pearl said...

Kudos on your incredible finish - what a gift! And thanks for the downtown photos - I haven't gotten in at night to see them - only during the day and they look totally different.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home