Monday, December 31, 2007

Hey all! Hope everyone has been enjoying the holiday season! It's just been way too busy to blog lately...I have made a lot of knitting progress though. I finished the lumpy bumpy hat but unfortunately did not get a photo of it before giving it to my mom :( Hopefully I will get a photo at some point in the future but rest assured that it came out nicely and looks really cute on her!

I had a nice visit with my family and got an awesome birthday surprise that my sister brought from Germany...eight balls of a beautiful cream Anny Blatt yarn and a skein of Opal Rainforest sock yarn in color "Veronica die Wilde," which is a very cool combination of lime and dark greens. I was trying to figure out what "Veroncia die Wilde" is--apparently some sort of butterfly, according to the label--but it just seems like a funny name and literally translates to "Veronica the wild" according to Google translator. Very interesting!

Another nice surprise at home was four boxes of yarn that someone my mom knows gave to me. Apparently this person's mother used to knit all the time but no longer does (gasp!), and wanted to give her yarn away. There were all kinds of interesting novelty yarns in there, amongst other things, but really nice ones, not tacky. I decided to leave most of it there since I don't have room right now, but I did take four balls of Tiber Rayon de Soleil, a black sparkly yarn, in hopes of making a pretty scarf with it. (photos of all yarn are also on my Ravelry stash page).

The most exciting thing was that I GOT TO CUT MY KNITTING THIS WEEKEND. Yes, the long awaited moment for steeking had finally arrived! I started by sewing the steeks, and was horribly upset when this happened:You've heard of yarn barf, well here is thread barf. I was totally worried that the knitting had somehow gotten caught by the feed dogs of the sewing machine. Finally I realized that I had just mis-threaded the machine--oops!

Luckily I was able to extricate my knitting without any damage. I finished the sewing, making two lines on each side of the cutting stitches:Can you tell why I stick to knitting and not sewing? Despite my extremely crooked lines, I forged on to:Eeks!
But...It works! It works!
I stayed up really late trying to finish it Saturday night, since I would be seeing my friend who it's for on Sunday, but only managed to get the thing sewn together and one side of the button band done. It's amazing how time consuming the finishing of these things are! But, it is looking really great and I'm going to try to finish it today for my final FO of 2007!

Happy New Year all, and don't make too many resolutions ;)

Labels:

12 Comments:

At December 31, 2007 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful steeking!

Oh I just started playing around with the RAvelry STash page. I decided not to do pictures, because my stash is just way to large! I'd be uploading pictures for years.

 
At December 31, 2007 4:16 PM, Blogger JustApril said...

VERY Pretty. I'm still scared of steeks, myself, but plan to tackle them soon. ack

 
At December 31, 2007 4:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How nice that you received all that yarn! Wow on the steeks - I'm impressed! Happy New Year!

 
At December 31, 2007 6:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I held my breath with the steeking shots, but you survived. Happy 2008! Resolutions, shmesolutions...WIPs away...

 
At December 31, 2007 10:08 PM, Blogger Larjmarj said...

Those steek shots could be used in a slasher flick for knitters. I broke out in a cold sweat and had to look between my fingers. Yikes.

Happy New Year!!

 
At January 01, 2008 8:50 AM, Blogger C+SK said...

Aiiiiiiiii, you're brave - the result is beautiful!!

Have a wonderful New Year!!

 
At January 01, 2008 9:46 AM, Blogger Brahdelt said...

Oh, steeking, it looks so scary, to cut through the knitted fabric. I know it works but still...
Happy New Year! *^v^*

 
At January 02, 2008 12:22 AM, Blogger Zonda said...

Happy New Year! Nice steeking! One day I'll try it. Look forward to seeing the finished sweater.

 
At January 03, 2008 1:17 PM, Blogger Jana said...

You are so brave doing steeks! But I can already tell the bravery will be worth it and the sweater will be beautiful! Happy New Year!

 
At January 03, 2008 7:57 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

wow, steeking scares the crap out of me, but you executed it beautifully! Hope you had a happy new year and a nice christmas:)

 
At January 04, 2008 9:23 AM, Blogger Hasbu said...

Girl, you are brave! Happy New Year!

 
At January 17, 2008 7:42 AM, Blogger Rina said...

OMG. Steeks is one of my knitting new year's resolutions. I always want to try to steek, but still scared at the idea cutting open my hours of hours of sts.

Congratulations. You definitely made this looks so easy, and I may actually do steeking this year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home