Friday, November 16, 2007

Phew, I'm finally back and mostly settled in (if by the word "mostly," one means "still needs to unpack and organize 18 million things"). It was probably as smooth a move as I've ever had. No incidents with the U-Haul or anything, except for the line of cranky drivers behind us due to the limited ability of the truck to get up hills, heh. The only other incident was the wretched stomach-ache I had by Sunday night after three days of eating junky Chinese take-out and the like. A trip to the grocery store and a couple of home-cooked meals have gotten the ol' intestinal system right back on track. I must say though, the biggest culture shock of the move so far was the grocery store run. Our old grocery store was about 12 aisles total (and each aisle was about half the length of the ones here), so we were not prepared for it taking over an hour to shop. We had to go through the whole store about three times to make sure we got everything on the list, besides the obligatory gawking at the many unique tropical fruits and other mysterious and previously unknown products now available to us.

The first week of work went OK too, though I did feel a little sad all week, kinda homesick. It's so weird to try to connect with a whole new group of co-workers, when you are coming from a very comfortable environment with only three co-workers. Unfortunately the new job doesn't seem terribly exciting but then again, I wasn't expecting it to be. It's not horrible, just kind of blah.

I have been working on a little something since the week before we moved:
This is the "Setesdal" cardigan (pattern #4) from the Dale of Norway book #8101 "Favorite Baby Designs." Here is kind of a crummy photo of the design:I'm attempting to make this as a Xmas gift for my best friend's son who is around 8 months old now. It probably doesn't need to be done right at Christmas since I don't usually see my friend until after the holidays, but it is actually going pretty quickly, regardless. I only have a few more rows left to finish the main section with the flecks:Hopefully it blocks out well 'cause it looks a little lumpy right now, but it seems that's the nature of fair-isle knitting.

There's so many other cute patterns in this book too...is it wrong of me to want to make some of the funky zebra socks in my size?Hope you have a nice weekend, I gotta do more unpacking!

Labels:

10 Comments:

At November 16, 2007 11:26 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Glad to hear you're getting settled in! Yeah, going from a small store to a bigger one is nice, but overwhelming a bit! Cute sweater!

 
At November 17, 2007 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you are settling in. And you never know - I thought my job was pretty bleh too at first but it is finally starting to get a little more exciting - so hopefully yours will too! Good luck unpacking - oh, and very cute sweater and I definitely think you should make yourself the zebra socks.

 
At November 17, 2007 9:13 AM, Blogger Brahdelt said...

Sorry to hear that your new job is blah, but maybe it's just the impression of the first week. Once you get to know the people and the environment you'll feel much better in it, I'm sure!
I love doing shopping in new places and finding new products I've never seen before, I was crazy happy while shopping in Sweden and Norway, but with the USA being so big you get that in your own country, yikes! *^v^*

 
At November 17, 2007 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute!

Yes. When we were moving, we had to deal mostly with fast food and take out. It's a bit expensive and we feel bit uneasy at first.

About your job, could it because due to homesick which causes blah? I hope things are getting better.

Ah the joy of unpacking. We still have stuff to unpack. The problem is we don't know where we should put them

 
At November 17, 2007 12:12 PM, Blogger Jana said...

Happy to hear the move went ok. Sorry the job is blah, but blah is better than horrible right? And it might pick up once you get used to the place. The knitting looks great, I love all those little white flecks-so cute!

 
At November 18, 2007 12:13 PM, Blogger Larjmarj said...

Sounds like the move is going fairly smooth.
The thing to remember about working is that if it didn't suck they wouldn't have to pay you to do it.
Unlike knitting. Your work is always stellar and the patterning on the sweater...fab.

 
At November 18, 2007 1:46 PM, Blogger Opal said...

Cute sweater! I'm glad to hear the move went smoothly, but sorry to hear the job is so blah. That supermarket sounds like an adventure!

 
At November 19, 2007 6:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How great to hear that you're slowly but surely arriving and feeling at home at your new place! Of course getting settled in is not a thing that's done in a day or two, there's so many new things for you to see and experience - but I think you're a pretty adventurous kind of gal, so you're gonna enjoy this big time - and I wish you a lot of fun with it!
Fingers crossed too for your new job - I sure hope it'll get a bit more exciting by the time. But as long as you're getting along with your colleagues and bosses, I think that's the main thing for the time being, no?
And you even found the time to knit, woah! I totally love that little cardi you're knitting - the pattern as well as the colors are so gorgeous!!!

 
At December 05, 2007 7:54 PM, Blogger Aim said...

Girl, you deserve some funky zebra socks! Go for it :)

 
At December 10, 2007 4:57 AM, Blogger Hasbu said...

Glad to hear the move went well! I love the zebra socks. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home