Thursday, October 25, 2007

Yeah, so I totally did NOT bother to reknit the sleeve. It won't be perfect, but I hope it's at least passable. I really tugged the sleeves to make them as big as possible and I think once I release them they'll be around 12 1/2 inches wide, which is pretty close to a standard 3 year old size (as far as I could determine). The pieces are still drying but I should be able to start seaming tomorrow night. Cross your fingers for me that it doesn't end up completely idiotic-looking.

And, I have a semi-good reason for wanting to get this done ASAP--I found out as of Friday that we're moving!!--so I want to give this to the recipient before we leave. I (finally) got a new job and in just two weeks we are going to be living in the "big city"--Portland. I am just a bundle of raw nerves right now: too much stress from having to say goodbyes, find a place to live, trying to wrap up 8 million projects at the current job, wondering whether I'm gonna hate the new job, etc. etc. I'm sure it will all work out but right now the transition is not very fun :( If there's one thing I hate more than anything in the world it's trying to find a new apartment. Ugh. I really hope I can buy a house in the near future and put my renting days behind me.

Anyway, if the posting gets a bit sparse over the next few weeks, you'll know why. 'Cause I'm usually such a prolific poster, and all.

It's starting to get rather wintery-looking around here, there are many bare trees and the sun is lower in the sky during the day. I'm amazed that we do still have quite a few leaves hanging on; it seems very late to be seeing them. We haven't hit a huge cold snap despite a few slightly brisk days. I really wish we would get a frost to kill my impatiens, so that I can dump the containers for easier moving. I don't have the heart to kill them myself!

I seem to be the only person with this opinion, but the new later date for turning back the clocks is really irritating me. I have to get up around 6-6:30 AM and it is PITCH BLACK at that hour. Not really conducive to a happy awakening, and I keep oversleeping. I really don't care about having a little more light after work is over, I mean it's only for an hour or so, big whoop. I don't buy the energy-savings theory either, the sun is so low when I get home that I have to turn on lights anyway. It's a conspiracy, I tell you.

So I don't end this post on completely grouchy note, I'm happy to report that I wore my Shell Socks today:First wooly sock wearing of the season!

Labels:

9 Comments:

At October 26, 2007 12:00 PM, Blogger JustApril said...

Well, so far the sleeves look pretty much the same, hope it works out ok. Congrats on the new job, but sorry about apartment hunting and moving - that's always a pain.

The socks look very nice and warm

 
At October 26, 2007 12:43 PM, Blogger Jana said...

I am so with you on the changing clocks later thing. I was actually grumpy when they passed the legislation to change this... Grumpy! I am an early riser too and I'm sick of always being in the dark for an hour after I wake up. And I agree the 'extra' hour of light at the end of the day is overrated! I'm already awake by then!

Congrats on the new job! It's so great to find if you've been looking for awhile. Good luck apartment hunting!

 
At October 26, 2007 12:44 PM, Blogger Brahdelt said...

I'm sure the sleeves won't look bad at all! Sew the whole sweater together and be positive about it! *^v^*
Congratulations on your new job and move, yikes! You're not too keen on finding a new apartment but think about all the things you don't like about the one you're in right now - there's an opportunity for a new lovely place to live!*^v^* Good luck!

 
At October 26, 2007 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow! New job, new home... that's a lot of change all at once. Good luck with all of it! :-)

 
At October 26, 2007 5:29 PM, Blogger Tania said...

Wow big move for you! Congratulations on the job! You can move here to Arizona (or Hawaii) and not have to deal with daylight savings time! ;)

 
At October 27, 2007 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new job! I hope that things go well, and that you are moved and happy in your new job/apartment! And the yarn stores! I hate the clock thing too - I go to work when its dark, and come home when its dark, so having the sun come up a little earlier would be really nice!

 
At October 28, 2007 10:57 AM, Blogger Larjmarj said...

The sleeves look perfect to me. Goo luck with the move/job etc. Nerve wracking and exciting all at the same time.

 
At October 28, 2007 8:54 PM, Blogger Prachi said...

Good luck with the move and transition - it can be really annoying! And I'm sure the sweater will be fine; indeed, am sure it already is, since I'm late to comment.
And hey, nice socks! :)

 
At October 30, 2007 5:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that was the best decision you could make with the sleeves - I have no doubt that they'll work out perfectly this way!
And ohhh, these are some great news here! First, congrats on your new job - and then of course I do have all my fingers crossed for you that everything goes well with the move as well as with this new job of yours! I can so well imagine how stressed and nervous you are these days - saying goodbye is always hard, even though you'll still get the chance to meet your friends and family - but all the packing you have to do now, looking for a suitable apartment and everything that comes along with it, this is of course some mega-stress that's coming up to you!
I'm sending over lots of positive thoughts that this move will go as smoothly as possible for you - and that you'll still find some time here and there for yourself, to do a bit of knitting and just to relax and unwind a bit. Good luck, my friend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home