Monday, October 15, 2007

Whew...I've been back home for a week now but I'm only just making it back to the blog! Of course we had a lovely time in San Francisco--we had last visited there about four years ago and did a lot of the tourist-y stuff back then, so this time we just did a lot of walking and sight-seeing in the neighborhood where we were staying (Nob Hill). I was particularly enamored of the tiling around doorways, the iron gates on every door, and the plethora of old neon signs that can be found everywhere.

Also everywhere was a lot of:Stairs, hills, hills, stairs...argh! No wonder everyone is pretty fit-looking in that city! We didn't do too bad but by the second day I definitely had a wee bit of soreness in the posterior!
Lots more pictures on Flickr.

The knitting was not horribly neglected either, due to the six- to eight-hour travel days including layovers. I made some decent progress on the first of my "Funfetti" socks:Although I think they should actually be called "Froot Loop" socks now. This is actually a pattern created by blog-friend Dipsy (thanks Dipsy!) called Lacertilia
. I needed something easy-to-memorize--who wants to fumble with a difficult pattern while on a cramped plane?--
so these fit the bill perfectly. The only bummer is that the stripe-y yarn kind of obscures the patterning--it would definitely look much better with just a regular variegated like the originals. Also, my yarn colors border on garish to my eyes, but who's going to be staring at my feet anyway? Hmm...maybe I don't want to know the answer to that question.

I am starting to feel like I have too many projects going on...yes, three projects are just too many for me! I just hate forgetting where I am when I pick a project back up, and the more projects I have going, the longer the interval between working on each item. I really want to get the toddler aran sweater done asap, as it is starting to get a bit boring. The Victoria Shawl has been cast aside (is that the third type of "casting"--cast on, cast off, and cast aside? har har) for the time being so I can finish the sweater and socks. Plus I really want to start a semi-complex project for Christmas (not sure if it has any chance of being done by then), and I really don't think I can handle...gasp...four projects!

Well I am seriously "out of it" right now due to one of G's harebrained schemes. We drove 4 hours last night to Boston to see the Hives. Somehow through a number of e-mails amongst G's grandfather and some relative of his in Sweden, we found out that this Swedish relative is the father of the Hives' drummer. The drummer hooked us up with a pair of tickets and said we should meet him after the show. G spent Sunday morning trying to find a friend down in New Hampshire or Boston to go with him (one said he couldn't because of a "major loan" he had to close at work on Monday--I guess we are the only ones to live in eternal teenagerdom LOL). When this plan failed, I was recruited to accompany him to the show. I'm actually glad it worked out that way because it was ridiculously awesome--I'm not sure the last time I saw a band with that much energy--and well, fast loud rock 'n' roll is always a good thing. Here is a really crappy photo of the band:Actually this is what I saw most of the time, cuz i am so short:Heads.

After the show, the band was totally spent but we introduced ourselves to the drummer dude (his hilarious bandmates were like, "Ooh, is this 'the relative'?", so I called G "the relative" the rest of the night). We were able to hang out and chat with him and a couple of the other guys for half an hour or so which was interesting. They have a rather wicked sense of humor. But it is definitely odd talking to random famous people--I mean what do you really have to talk about? If it were me I would get really annoyed at having strangers hanging around all the time. But anyway, they were very nice to us despite looking like they were ready to crash and it was quite the memorable experience! Probably never to happen to me again!

Oh, and somehow we made it home and I dragged myself into work today. Although I was completely useless, so not sure what the point of that heroic gesture was. I guess you can see why I am so tired--I'm going to crash into bed now! G'night!

Labels:

12 Comments:

At October 16, 2007 4:58 AM, Blogger Brahdelt said...

San Francisco is one of the cities I really would like to visit one day - I love it from the day I saw "The Streets of San Francisco" detective series when I was a teenager! (I know it all looks different now, but still the calf love remains. *^v^*)
Your socks are cute, I believe everyone would like to stare at the feet dressed in lovely pair of socks, especially in such great colours! ^^

 
At October 16, 2007 11:57 AM, Blogger JustApril said...

Sounds like you had a good time in SF. Cool about G being 'the relative' and meeting the band. Musicians are some of the friendliest people in the world.

The funfetti socks look...fun =) I love those patterns that are easy to memorize.

 
At October 16, 2007 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fruit Loops socks, ha ha. They do fit the name because of the colors. But those colors are fun by themselves.

Ah glad you had fun in SF.

 
At October 16, 2007 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey thanks for your help this afternoon...found the website framesbymail and it's super cool--you can even upload the picture into the frame to see what it looks like and play around with different matting colors! very excting! love the sf pics...thanks for always going along with my brother g's hairbrained ideas :) love you, a

 
At October 16, 2007 4:48 PM, Blogger Opal said...

Thanks for turning me on to the Lacertilia pattern. I think it's just the solution I need for the current yarn I have on hand.

Your version looks great with the striping!

 
At October 16, 2007 8:06 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

great SF pics! Did you see Sa & and the Shanes while you were out there?

Um, can I just say that you and G are badasses (and crazy, but mostly just badasses)? Wanna come over tonight for the Sox game? We'll provide caffeine for the drive home.

 
At October 17, 2007 4:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to go to SF - someday...! The socks really are cute - thanks for the link to the pattern!

 
At October 17, 2007 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think my favorite photo is chat lunatique! last night i learned the continental style--my knitting teacher is a brit and doesn't understand why most americans use the throwing style---what do i care, i just want to get back into it...

 
At October 17, 2007 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a lovely trip.

I have way to many projects going right now, way to many. In fact so many I'm avoiding them all.

 
At October 18, 2007 3:09 AM, Blogger Hasbu said...

Sounds like a great time in SF!

I wouldn't know what to say to a famous person. ;)

 
At October 18, 2007 5:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you made the Lacertilia socks?! Gosh, I absolutely love your version of them, they look much better than mine ;))) Really beautiful, and such a great colorway that you've been using for them too! Thanks so much for your nice words about the pattern!
And those pics of San Francisco - I've always wanted to go there since I was a kid, and with your pics you sure made me long to hop onto the plane right now! Great that you had such an awesome time there!

 
At October 18, 2007 9:58 AM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

Sounds like a great trip! And you even knit too - nice.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home