Friday, October 19, 2007

So, in my anxiety to finish the Aaron's Aran sweater, I really wanted to see if I could get a whole sleeve done last night.

The good news is, I was able to get a whole sleeve done in a night.

The bad news is, I realized just as I finished binding off that I forgot to switch from the smaller needles to the larger needles after the ribbed cuff!!

Nooooo! I was about to rip it out really quickly to just get it over with and not stew about it, but then I decided that maybe it would still work and I would leave it overnight. I am pretty sure that it actually might work OK, but thought I'd see if you all had any opinions.
Here is a photo of two pieces laid next to each other. As you can see, there is little visual difference between the body, which was done correctly (on the left), and the sleeve, which was done on the smaller needles (on the right). The sleeve fabric does has a somewhat firmer texture. Also, the braid cable on the sleeve is noticeably tighter than that on the body, but not glaringly so.

I am more worried about whether the sleeve has sufficient width and ease. Unfortunately the pattern is severely lacking in schematics, which doesn't help. I looked at some other kid's pullover patterns and found that for a 3 year old size, sleeve should be about 6.5-6.75 inches at its widest point and this one is probably only about 5.5 inches. Maybe an aggressive blocking would give it a bit more ease. I really got nervous when I looked at the photo on the pattern:It looks like the sleeves go almost halfway down the body! I suspect the photo shows the smallest size, so maybe the larger size should be a bit more proportional, but mine looks really narrow in comparison with the body:Two different views because they both look distorted depending on the angle.

The weirdest part is that despite using smaller needles, it does not appear that the sleeve's gauge is really different than on the body where I used the larger needles! So maybe they are supposed to be like this? Gah, I don't know. What would you do? I'm really sick of this sweater and just want to finish, but I don't want to give a crummy gift either. I also fear going through all the effort of re-knitting the sleeve only to find out that it makes almost no difference.

On a different topic, I must mention how amazed I am at the mild fall we have been happening. This is the latest my plants have ever survived, as we have still not had a hard frost! It hasn't exactly been balmy warm, just not freezing cold either. The impatiens and coleus are still looking lush:And my salvias, after not blooming all summer, finally decided to take the plunge:Hope you have an enjoyable weekend--I have way too many chores to do, boo hoo!

Labels:

17 Comments:

At October 19, 2007 10:35 PM, Blogger JustApril said...

Is there a way you can check the fit before it's all put together? I'd probably leave it the way it is, if it was me (but that's me and I can live with imperfections in sweaters very well)

 
At October 20, 2007 7:32 AM, Blogger Brahdelt said...

I don't have any experience with knitting for the Little People, but maybe you could do some measuring of the recipient, in not trying it on. Tough call.
I love the flower photos!

 
At October 20, 2007 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like it would be ok - and kids have small arms. Can you try it the recipient and see how it looks? What a shame it would be to rip it out! Very nice flower pictures - but I'm really tired of this and wish it was cold already!

 
At October 20, 2007 9:07 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

I say go with the sleeve you have. I could see ripping it if it were for a woman's sweater or something more fitted, but kid knits are so boxy anyway. Plus, you're right - the sleeve in the pattern photo looks even bigger than yours knit with bigger needles.

The sweater looks awesome, C. The sleeve will not make a difference. :)

 
At October 20, 2007 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could go to a department store with kids clothes and measure the sleeves of a sweater to fit the recipient. If it's close to yours, then you're probably good!

 
At October 20, 2007 7:26 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

I am the absolute worst at estimating or seeing "size." The best I can say is to go with your strongest instinct on this one. It may be best to just be done with it...even if you don't love parts of it, it is not a crummy gift! It really looks great!

And this weather? Too weird...

 
At October 20, 2007 8:25 PM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Blocking is your friend to get the sleeves the exact same size. And a burst of hot steam. As for the size, the mom can always roll back the cuff--kids' arms grow a lot faster than their girth. It looks really great. Now, I'm off to watch the Red Sox....?

 
At October 20, 2007 10:14 PM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

I agree with the other comments - it will be just fine. A bit of blocking and there probably won't be any difference. It is such a pretty sweater (even thought you are tired of it) it will look great!

Love the flowers - but I am also ready for some cool weather.

 
At October 22, 2007 8:30 AM, Blogger Jana said...

Especially if your gauge on the sleeve is not that different from the gauge on the body, is re-knitting the sleeve with the bigger needle going to make that much of a difference? I say just do the other one the same way and block them as much as you can.

 
At October 22, 2007 1:05 PM, Blogger Jen (pieKnits) said...

I cannot not tell you how many times I have done that Exact same thing of forgetting to change needles sizes- gets me all the time! I agree with the others if you gauge doesn't seem to be that far off then you're probably fine.

 
At October 22, 2007 5:49 PM, Blogger lexa said...

I would try blocking first before any ripping of that beautiful sleeve!

 
At October 22, 2007 7:00 PM, Blogger Larjmarj said...

Leave it the way it is and block it to perfection!!

Our fall here in Michigan has been pretty mild too.

 
At October 22, 2007 8:11 PM, Blogger Prachi said...

Keep it - I don't think it will make that big a difference, at least from your photos. Kids have small arms, and the photo looks like it had a lot of ease. You could aggressively block the sleeve a bit more than the body, too.

 
At October 23, 2007 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I don't know what to tell you. On one hand, I think the sleeve looks really narrow (compared to the picture) but if your gauge isn't that off, then I can't imagine that larger needles would make a huge difference. I might try blocking the sleeve and see how you can get it to stretch first.

 
At October 24, 2007 2:19 AM, Blogger Hasbu said...

It looks fine to me. My son has small arms and if the arms of his sweater were as wide as in your pattern pic, they'd definitely be huge on him. Hope that helps!

Blockign will surely stretch the arms somewhat.

 
At October 24, 2007 3:47 AM, Blogger Opal said...

Whatever you decide to do, it will be a gorgeous sweater and a wonderful gift. :)

 
At October 25, 2007 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh. My. Gosh. This Aran is stunningly beautiful already, this is going to be a real piece of art indeed. I'd say go with the sleeve you already have - it looks as if it'd be okay, and kids have such small arms! It'll work, I'm sure about that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home