Friday, September 21, 2007

Thanks everyone for the great comments on my last post! I was cracking up at the universal "ergonomic" keyboard experience--It sounds like they hurt more than they help! And of course, thanks for the compliments on Nerissa. Although it is really not looking like I'm going to get to wear it this year. Unless we get an October heat wave.

Yes, it is definitely that time of year already:Just like the Red Sox, the leaves slowly wither and fall.

On a happier note, G and I had an fun time last Sunday. For his work, G inventories trees and other vegetation as part of a state-wide scientific survey. Back in June, he was heading to one of the survey plots through the woods when he passed what looked like a monster-sized American Mountainash. So we decided to go back out and try to find it. This involved much bush-whacking (that orange is the back of G's field vest):
But was not without some pretty sights:
The hobblebush leaves change color in a fascinating mosaic pattern:
Finally, we struck gold! This wasn't the original tree that G saw back in June, but it seemed to be pretty darn close in size to that one:
Now that may not look like that impressive of a tree to you, but keep in mind that this species usually maxes out at a 6 or 8 inch diameter, and this tree had a whopping 18.6 inch diameter! We've already nominated it for the Maine Big Tree Register. The existing record is 47 inch circumference, 49 foot height, and 28 foot crown spread. Our has a 60 inch circumference, 50 foot height, and 35 foot crown spread, so I am pretty sure we smoked that record! But even more exciting is that there's a possibility it might beat the national record as well. How cool would that be? We have to have it verified by a forester first so hopefully our measurements were accurate. I really hope so because we spent about 4 hours tromping through the woods looking for this sucker, dontcha think we deserve some sort of prize? ;)

There hasn't been much time for knitting this week, so no new pictures, although I did start a small project that I'll show you next time. I only have a few repeats left for the center of the Victoria Shawl before I can start the edging, which I am intrigued by. I've never done this type of edging (knitted on after the main portion is done), so should be interesting.

I'll leave with a shot of a cabin I had to visit for work yesterday. I really could have sat there all day admiring that view in the nice warm sun. Not a bad property, eh?

Labels:

11 Comments:

At September 21, 2007 4:32 PM, Blogger JustApril said...

Great photos! The moth is really pretty and the hobblebush leaf colors are cool. How neat about your record breaking tree! I wonder which one is bigger, the one you saw last time, or this one?

 
At September 21, 2007 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh. You are so lucky to live in Maine!

 
At September 21, 2007 6:38 PM, Blogger Larjmarj said...

Such beauty. You ARE so lucky to live in Maine.
I think I must be loosing my mind, the first thing that popped in to my head when I saw the hobblebush leaf was..."gee that would make a great colorway for sock yarn". I must be obsessed.

 
At September 22, 2007 4:10 PM, Blogger Opal said...

You really are lucky you live in Maine. What beauty. It truly rivals Hawaii. :-)

 
At September 23, 2007 8:10 AM, Blogger Brahdelt said...

Beautiful Autumn colours! I'm still waiting for the reds and browns here, but it's all suspiciously green everywhere... It must have been a great trip! *^v^*

 
At September 23, 2007 5:28 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

oh, Maine really is at its prettiest in the fall, it seems. Can you believe the leaves are already changing? I feel like it's still summer!

 
At September 24, 2007 12:01 AM, Blogger Hasbu said...

Beautiful photography!

The trees are getting all yellow and orange around here so the fall is definitely here. We will be getting some nice warm weather this week so I should get my butt out and take some pics of the trees.

 
At September 24, 2007 8:21 AM, Blogger C+SK said...

Ohhhh such nice photos!!!

 
At September 24, 2007 11:07 AM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Come to Texas and bring Nerissa--92 degrees and counting. I really hope the mountain ash beats the record--what a beauty!

 
At September 26, 2007 9:34 AM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

Thanks for the great photos. I miss the seasons (being from NY and living in Texas). We just don't have that kind of beauty and tranquility here in the city.

Wow - what a magnificent tree!

 
At October 02, 2007 1:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, these pics are ever so beautiful! And the cabin seems to be a place like heaven on earth - I'd give a lot, a bit lot, to be there or at a similar place right now, having peace, no suckheads around me and being able to knit without being disturbed! Aaaaahhhhhh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home