Wednesday, September 12, 2007

After a two-day frenzy of seed stitch and seaming (hee hee, just the two side seams, that is), Nerissa is done and looks OK both coming:
And going:
I love the interplay of the three different textures: stockinette, seed stitch, and a simple lacy pattern:
And finally, I seem to have captured the true color of the yarn!

All in all, no major complaints, although I wish I had made it the teeniest bit longer (seems to be a frequent problem for me). Definitely not a huge deal. We shall see if I get to wear it before next summer...it's been quite cool so it's not looking likely for the immediate future.

Pattern Notes:
"Nerissa" from Rowan 41
Knit in Rowan Handknit DK Cotton in color #334 "Delphinium", on US size 6 needles

Pattern was very easy, although the lace pattern kept things somewhat interesting. A couple of things I would've done differently in retrospect: 1) On armhole shaping, I always make decreases one stitch in from the selvedge. I think in this case I might of tried doing decreases right at the selvedge, because you later have to pick up stitches for the seed st edging without having the decrease stitches visible. Because my decreases were 1 st in, it was a bit of a pain to pick up neatly and it left a kinda thick "seam" behind the picked up stitches. Or maybe there's another clever solution for this that I don't know of? 2) The pattern has you pick up 103 sts around the armhole, I probably would've reduced this a little bit because the edging doesn't have much snugness to it...it kind of flares out a little bit (but not too dramatically). I also thought it was interesting that my lace section looked way more texture-y than the pattern photo. Maybe I didn't block it as agressively as they did.

Yarn was basic...not particularly exciting but good quality and no complaints.

Now, full speed ahead on the Victoria Shawl, and I'm already halfway through the center section:Tons and tons of diamonds!

And here is something funny too--our computer keyboard died last week (hmm, may have had something to do with that glass of water I spilled into it, but let's not jump to any conclusions, K?). I ordered a new, fancy wireless one that came today, and it rules. Especially compared to what we had been using in the interim. That is a true classic, found in the depths of a closet at work. It makes the most extremely loud "clickety clickety" sound as you type. I also particularly love the purple function keys, what a great '90s look, huh? And the ergonomic setup, holy crap what a pain in the bum. I just could not get used to typing on it. Does anyone actually use those anymore?

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

At September 12, 2007 11:53 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Nerissa looks really good!! The shawl as well! Hehe..I miss my ergonimic keyboard...well a bit, I love the wireless one!

 
At September 13, 2007 12:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nerissa looks really beautiful. The mix of lace, seed st , and StSt is well elegantly matched. Good job.
Ah that lace pattern from VLT. I need to finish mine. I'm about halfway through the lace body. But sometimes I got bored. Opps.

Great job at capturing the true color too.

 
At September 13, 2007 5:22 AM, Blogger Brahdelt said...

Beautiful colour and textures, I am a fan of textures myself! **
I must change my keyboard quite often because I often eat at the computer and what I don't catch goes straight between the keys... ^^

 
At September 13, 2007 8:23 AM, Blogger Hasbu said...

Nerissa looks awesome! I don't have Rowan mag 41 (I do have 40 and 42) and now I'm thinking that I might have to get 41 as well.

The keyboard brought back memories. We had an ergonomic keyboard at some point and I kept getting tenosynovitis when using it. Never happened again after I got rid of the keyboard!

 
At September 13, 2007 8:42 AM, Blogger JustApril said...

Nerissa is gorgeous and it's a great fit! I really like that lace pattern, too, simple yet interesting.

The shawl is looking very pretty, too.

 
At September 13, 2007 4:50 PM, Blogger Opal said...

Oh Nerissa is beautiful! Especially on you. :-)

I remember those ergo dynamic keyboards! I used to use them hoping they'd help my hands. Ha! If anything they made them hurt more. :-P

 
At September 14, 2007 6:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nerissa is beautiful! And it looks very nice on you! I can't believe how fast you are going on the shawl - you'll be done in no time. We used to have that keyboard - I hated it!

 
At September 15, 2007 4:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe how very beautiful Nerissa is! I'm totally in love with this pattern, I'd do it right away if I had it here! Must. Buy. That. Pattern.!!! Anyways, you did an awesome job knitting it up, I adore the color and it sure seems to fit perfectly! Congratulations!!!

 
At September 15, 2007 7:30 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

Wow! That keyboard sure does take me back...but I think I'll keep what I have now, thank you very much!

Nerissa looks great! Nice work.

 
At September 17, 2007 11:46 AM, Blogger Gaby said...

Nerissa is beautiful! I love the color. It´s in my projects'list :)

 
At September 17, 2007 12:31 PM, Blogger Larjmarj said...

Just gorgeous. Another beautiful FO!
That keyboard is crazy looking, I think it would cause me to become dyslexic!

 
At September 18, 2007 10:36 AM, Blogger Prachi said...

It's gorgeous! I love the purple shade.

 
At September 19, 2007 4:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know those ergonomic keyboards absolutely killed me! My wrists and elbows hurt so bad after typing on it. (my last job had them for the first few months I was there - and I quickly replaced it).

Love the sweater!

 
At September 19, 2007 10:14 PM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

Beautiful knitting! Nice knit and nice fit ;-)

 
At September 19, 2007 11:41 PM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Very pretty and I do like that color. I really need to commit to a pattern from VLT--yours looks great!(we could have a Red Sox along for when they may play in the *won't jinx it.*

 
At September 27, 2007 11:20 AM, Blogger Tania said...

great work! thanks for the compliments on my baby dress! I'm starting to get more confident with my knitting now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home