Thursday, August 23, 2007

Hooray, an FO...if only a small one.I'm practically squeeing at the adorableness of it, although I find it hard to believe that the matching booties (I had a ton of the white yarn left over after making the sweater edging) could actually fit on anyone's feet!I particularly like the knitted edging, which has a crochet look to it without having to bring out the dreaded hook:There was only one ribbon in the entire craft store that matched the yarn...all of the whites were either too bright white or too cream (the white yarn I used is just the slightest bit of off-white), and as for the blue ribbon...well, I'm sure you all have had experience trying to match blues. Not easy! Luckily, I do like the style of the only ribbon that matched:

Pattern Notes
"Ballerina Wrap" and "Mary Janes" from The Little Sublime Handknit Book
Yarn: RYC Cashsoft Baby DK in colors 800 "Snowman" and 805 "Cloud"
Knit on 4 mm/US 6 needles

All of the patterns in this booklet are clearly written with the beginning knitter in mind, as the directions write out every...single..step...sometimes tediously so, when you are used to more loosely-written patterns. In some ways I found this bad, because I would start questioning whether I was doing something the right way (expecting more hand-holding, I guess). Overall though, the patterns were both fine and I didn't really have any serious troubles with them.

The yarn is a nice yarn, although as I mentioned in a previous post it is rather pricey for being 33% acrylic (oops, I mean microfiber). It is very soft, almost to the point of making me wonder whether it's going to get all pilly with wear. Well, I guess this isn't the kind of thing that a baby would wear every day anyway, so hopefully it will hold up well for my friend (due in less than a month!)

In celebration of Friday (woo hoo!), here is a cool photo of this giant rock that G and I climbed to last weekend. It was kind of surreal!

Labels:

15 Comments:

At August 23, 2007 8:36 PM, Blogger Annie said...

Adorable sweater! Love the edging detail.

 
At August 23, 2007 8:36 PM, Blogger JustApril said...

New born feet are freakishly small, so don't worry =) It's a very sweet and beautiful set. Your friend is going to LURVE it =)

 
At August 23, 2007 11:52 PM, Blogger Desiknitter said...

Awwwww. I'm smiling just thinking of the baby that's going to get stuffed into those things. They're so cute!

(chuckling at the microfibre...)

 
At August 24, 2007 12:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOOOOMMMMGG! That is sooooo cute! love the edging, the ribbon, everything. Yes I do have trouble matching ribbons as well.

 
At August 24, 2007 3:41 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

Wow! That little sweater/bootie combo is so adorable that it almost hurts a little bit. Cute cramps? I'm not sure just what to call the phenomenon, but those are some awfully sweet baby knits! Nice job!

 
At August 24, 2007 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my that is the cutest little sweater and booties on the face of the earth!

 
At August 24, 2007 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cute! The edging is adorable!

 
At August 24, 2007 8:48 PM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Soooo cute. I want one in my size with a big floppy bow in my hair and a pair of Mary Janes--oops, that's Carol Burnett. I always call it acrylique when I think it's a bit pricey.;)

 
At August 25, 2007 12:30 AM, Blogger Zonda said...

So pretty! Glad I saw yours as I have the book and supposed to be knitting it soon!

Um..that is a big rock!

 
At August 25, 2007 6:53 AM, Blogger Casa Pearl said...

I can see why you would want to squee! That is a lovely set and I'm sure the baby will be comfy and cozy when wearing it. Great job.

 
At August 27, 2007 3:34 PM, Blogger Jana said...

That is beautiful! That's the kind of baby knitting that's sure to become an heirloom.

 
At August 30, 2007 4:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for rock climbing ;))) My gosh, I sooooo adore this little baby set, it's ever so cute! Especially the edging detail at the sweater, I could have sworn it's crocheted - it looks fantastic and the fact that you didn't have to use the hook for it makes it even better! Awesome job!

 
At September 02, 2007 4:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, it's adorable. I'm knitting baby things at the moment too and loving their small-ness and exact-ness.

 
At September 03, 2007 8:42 AM, Blogger Hasbu said...

These are adorable!

 
At September 09, 2007 5:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Your sweater is absolutely gorgeous! I was wondering if I could trouble you with a question about the edging... specifically the second row where it mentions CO 2, (slip the stitch from R to L needle, knit it again), 5 times

What is the 5 times? slip and knit 5 times? I agree with you that the pattern is overly simplified, but I can't make sense of this!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home