Saturday, July 28, 2007

Thanks everyone for your awesome comments on Caister--it definitely boosted my spirits quite a bit. I probably shouldn't have complained so much, it really did come out beautifully. Just all those nagging details, argh! Also thanks for suggestions on how to fix the problems--I definitely will try a few things and let you know if any of them work ;)

Boy we are in the middle of some sticky-icky weather! Makes me want to stick my head in the freezer, lol!Anyone else up for a fudgesicle?

It is actually funny how cranky and whiny a lot of people up here (myself included) get when the weather hits 85 plus humidity. I know all you folks further south are slapping your knees and laughing at this! But hey, we're not used to it and it's not like anyone actually has air conditioning in these parts! I am just hiding out in here, shades down, fan blowing at me. Even poor Quincy it too lethargic to move much or cuddle (he tries but gets hot and has to move on). I'm sure we'll survive, somehow ;)

For knitting, I finally finished up the "Stinky Sox", almost a year after I started them! Good time to finish too, for the tail end of this month's Project Spectrum color of red.Just an easy-peasy, toe-up stockinette sock in Cascade Fixation. I stopped working on them last year after the Sox went into a nasty late-season tumble. I secretly feared that the socks were a bad-luck charm (strange how non-superstitious me gets all silly when the Sox are involved). They also had a few bad games while I was finishing them, but they've been on the rebound since, so maybe it was just the act of knitting the socks that was a problem, not the socks themselves?

Pattern Notes:
"Stinky Sox" made using Wendy's Toe-up Sock Pattern
Knit in Cascade Fixation, colors #3628 "Ruby" and #8001 "Bleach" on U.S. size 3 needles.
Except for the game losses (he he), these were simple and easy to make, and as most of you know by now, the toe-up sock pattern is a good one. This was my first time using Fixation, and I thought it seemed a bit strange at first (elasticity is weird). But I ended up liking it just fine, although the socks are definitely on the cushy/thick side, so be forewarned if you don't like that kind of thing.

I had to model them myself since G was gone, so they look a bit baggy on me. (Psst...notice the yellow afghan on the couch that my Grandma knitted for me when I was 5 yrs old?)And what is that other thing in front of my feet? New project, yay!This is the "Ballerina Wrap" from The Little Sublime Handknit Book, which has some easy, basic, cute baby patterns. Being made for a friend who is due in September; the baby's a girl but I thought I'd do it in blue with white edging just to give her a break from what will surely be a landslide of pink garments! The yarn is Rowan RYC Cashsoft Baby DK, a perfectly serviceable and soft yarn though perhaps a bit overpriced given the amount of synthetic fiber in it. I am also worried it will pill easily due to its softness, but I guess that remains to be seen. Anyway, I think it will only be another week or so before it's done, cuz it's sooo tiny!
Happy knitting, and stay cool (if you're in the northern hemisphere, anyway!)

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At July 28, 2007 4:45 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Oh, no, we're not laughing...just commiserating with you!! Everyone wonders why I have no tan lines LOL! I don't go out! Yuk! I have that book too and need to get going on making the same one for a friend. Her's will be a sage green.

 
At July 28, 2007 6:00 PM, Blogger Emma said...

I scoff at your 85 degrees!

The Ballerina Wrap is tooo cute!

 
At July 28, 2007 6:04 PM, Blogger JustApril said...

The Sox look great and I really like the new project, too. Sorry about the heat, I know it's rough on you Northerners when it gets steamy with no air conditioning. I'm glad we have it, I tried to go without it as long as possible, but when it was pushing the high 80's I couldn't take it anymore. It does make one whiny and irritable for sure. Hope it cools off soon.

the word verification is actually words - myyawnyl
my yawny l-obster =) hehehe

 
At July 28, 2007 9:08 PM, Blogger Rina said...

Ooo sorry about the heat. I'm actually OK with the heat since I used to live on a tropical country (30 to 35 Celsius everyday), but there are times that I just stays home and cools down.
The ballerina is so darn cute.

 
At July 29, 2007 1:18 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

you're so right about the heat. Ugh, add humidity to even 70 degree weather and it's gross. We're on lock down right now - all shades and doors closed.

The baby sweater is coming out really cute! Is that the one for Tobi? I'm sure she'll love it!

Stay cool and eat some fudgcicles!

 
At July 30, 2007 5:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cute socks - and the baby sweater is too cute too. Sorry that its so hot up there in Maine (and glad we weren't on vacation while it was hot up there!). Stay cool and I hope the weather breaks soon!

 
At July 30, 2007 9:53 AM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

My uncle, who was visiting from VA last week, kept wondering what all the humdity-fuss was about. I explained several times that we are just not built for this sort of weather...to no avail, really. But this is not my "weather medium!" Let's get back to lower temps, please.

Love the Stinky Sox! Nice job.

 
At July 31, 2007 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What cute socks! And the blanket is precious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home