Sunday, July 01, 2007

It certainly does not feel like the first day of July up here--can you believe it only got up to 60 degrees today? Yikes! Not that I'm complaining, I can't stand that hot, muggy crap we were having earlier in the week--but I wouldn't mind being able to open the windows without freezing, LOL!

The cool weather on Saturday provided a perfect excuse to take advantage of the first weekend of strawberry picking. There were still quite a few berries that hadn't fully ripened, but we managed to scrounge up eight quarts. Perfect for this month's Project Spectrum red color, no? I used half of them to make my first-ever batch of strawberry jam:Based on my sneaky taste-tests from the bottom of the pot, it tastes pretty good! Although, I must say that the strawberry shortcake I made tastes even better:Mmm...I love summer fruit (and veggie) season...you just can't beat it!
Just so you don't think I've gone completely strawberry-mad, here is a picture of the cute little family that lives around our office building:Gives me something fun to look at during the work day!

Labels:

13 Comments:

At July 01, 2007 6:52 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

Broke out the fixings for strawberry shortcake myself today! I haven't made it yet, though. I may just have to start whipping that cream now, though. Boy, that looks goooooood!!!

 
At July 01, 2007 7:42 PM, Blogger Opal said...

Oh how delicious! One thing Hawaii does not have is fresh strawberries for the picking. How sad for me!

 
At July 01, 2007 7:52 PM, Blogger Brahdelt said...

Oh, the strawberries look delicious! Nothing can beat the homemade jam!

 
At July 01, 2007 8:44 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Drooling over your shortcake! Homemade jam is the best! Down here strawberry season is just too early!

 
At July 02, 2007 4:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had fresh strawberries and blueberries for dessert last night - I love this time of year as well. I'm very impressed you made strawberry jam!

 
At July 02, 2007 1:02 PM, Blogger Larjmarj said...

Now I have to clean my monitor (I was licking the screen).

NOW I want strawberry shortcake in the worst way.

Diet-shmiet.

 
At July 02, 2007 2:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh you are so lucky! Too bad I live in nowhereville, texas where the fruit is quite mediocre :(

 
At July 02, 2007 8:26 PM, Blogger JustApril said...

MMMMMMMM yummy on both accounts. I tried to plant strawberries this year, but they didn't live =( Maybe next year.

 
At July 03, 2007 1:49 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

ooh, those strawberries look yummy. You're a bada$$ for making jam - now you can have strawberry goodness all year long. Can't wait to you see you & G in a few weeks:)

 
At July 03, 2007 11:50 PM, Blogger Prachi said...

Yummmmmm. That shortcake looks absolutely delicious.

 
At July 05, 2007 1:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, these strawberries! *Drooling all over my keyboard here*
I feel so like you about this strange weather - I don't miss the extreme heat we've had in the least, but it'd be so lovely being able to open up the windows without freezing my back off! Strange - hopefully it'll get warmer for the both of us soon!

 
At July 05, 2007 7:28 AM, Blogger Jana said...

That strawberry shortcake looks so good!

 
At July 08, 2007 4:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

uuuuu I need to go to Farmers Market and get me some strawberries. Ever since DH introduced me Strawberry shortcake, I got hooked.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home