Sunday, July 08, 2007

I made something silly!It's a mankei neko or "fortune cat", or at least my interpretation of one. This was based on the pattern from Just Jussi, although I did make mine quite a bit bigger than the pattern--I think he's just under a foot tall (I cast on double the number of stitches to start). It's made from TLC Cotton Plus yarn and I found it surprisingly nice to work with. Since this yarn doesn't felt (which is what the pattern recommends), I knit it on US size 4 needles, which is a size or two smaller than the recommended size.

Besides being black for Project Spectrum, I also tried to incorporate metallic accents in the embroidery. It's a little hard to see, but there is sparkly blue blending filament in there:I also made a cool rose that I was going to have the cat hold instead of the traditional coin, but I think I like him better without it. The rose was made using a pattern entitled "Rosa d'Amore" from the 2006 Knitting Pattern-a-Day calendar (May 18th). I used Rowan 4-ply cotton, of which I am starting to gather quite a large collection of leftovers, as was the cat's collar. I love the way it turned out, but it just seemed like too much on the cat, so I guess I'll have to save it for something else.

Next up, I finally dragged the Stinky Sox out of hiding (just in time for the Sox to start going downhill again, ha ha). I figured now would be the perfect time to finish them, considering they are red and all. It took me about three tries to remember which size needle I had been using (turns out it was a US 3), but now that's sorted out I should hopefully be done with them in a jiffy!

Labels:

17 Comments:

At July 08, 2007 4:54 PM, Blogger Emma said...

So cute. What a great little project!

 
At July 08, 2007 5:32 PM, Blogger Opal said...

OMG I adore your little Neko-chan! How cute! I must have one!

 
At July 08, 2007 7:32 PM, Blogger Brahdelt said...

Your maneki neko is super kawaii! I imagine one sitting on my desk (but maybe smaller ^^).

 
At July 08, 2007 9:43 PM, Blogger Larjmarj said...

So cute! "sushi" cat as he's know around our house.

 
At July 08, 2007 9:47 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Really cute! Love the rose too!

 
At July 09, 2007 2:26 AM, Blogger Prachi said...

May the black cat bring you lots of fortune! Just make sure he doesn't cross your path... that's a sure sign of bad luck and would totally defeat the purpose of knitting him! :)

Lovely rose, too. But it does look better without it.

 
At July 09, 2007 7:53 AM, Blogger Jana said...

Great pattern! I really like it in black too, that's really different!

 
At July 09, 2007 12:19 PM, Blogger JustApril said...

CUTE! I like the expression on his face, makes me smile, too.

 
At July 09, 2007 1:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

That actually made me giggle! cute!

 
At July 09, 2007 8:26 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

Awww..such a sweet little kitty! That looks like a fun project.

 
At July 10, 2007 4:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My gosh, this kitty is ever so cute - absolutely adorable, and what an awesome expression it has! And I love the rose too!

 
At July 10, 2007 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cute little face!... :-)

 
At July 10, 2007 9:38 PM, Blogger C+SK said...

Oh my goodness, these are absolutely fantastic!!!!

 
At July 11, 2007 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so kaawaaaiiii! I need to make one in white and put it in our living room.

 
At July 11, 2007 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh now that I like very much. I think I should make one for my desk at work

 
At July 12, 2007 4:45 AM, Blogger Aim said...

Love the good luck cat! And your rose is interesting--is it big like a pillow or small like a pin? (Can't tell from the photo!!)

 
At July 23, 2007 12:28 PM, Blogger Sharmane said...

The neko is not silly, it is awesome! I love it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home