Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Caister, Finally

The great button drought of '07 has lifted, and I finally was able to buy some buttons to finish my Caister:Unfortunately this has turned out to be one of my less-favorite knits. It doesn't look too bad in the photos but there are a ton of little things that annoy me about it. Despite my effort to lengthen the body, it is still on the short side and I'll probably always have to be pulling it down, which is so annoying. I hate to think what it would've looked like if I hadn't lengthened it! I'm hoping that this will turn out to be one of those cotton knits that ends up stretching over time.

Another annoying thing is that the prescribed method for edging the sleeves, waistband, and collar does not keep the edges from curling up. I pretty much suspected this would be the case, since it was just picking up stitches and then casting them off, but I was hoping I'd be wrong. You can see the "flip" action of the collar in this rear view:I do like the way the shoulders fit, although I must say it was rather challenging making sure that the second sleeve's stripe pattern lined up with the front in the same way the first sleeve did. I must have ripped out and re-inserted the second sleeve three or four times!

The final thing (completely my fault) was that my row gauge was a bit off, and I should have compensated by adding some extra rows onto the collar. As it came out, it is a bit small and does not have the nice floppy look of the original.Oh well, despite these annoyances, it does look pretty in close-up view. I guess every knit can be a favorite!Pattern Notes:
"Caister" from Rowan 41, Knit in Rowan 4-ply Cotton on 3.25 mm needles
I did not find any problems with the pattern, but I would recommend possibly lengthening the body (unless you're going for a very cropped look) and finding a different method of edging. I did find one other person who knit Caister, and I think hers came out much better than mine, so don't let my troubles scare you from this pattern!

We got to go see the new Harry Potter movie this weekend, and I must say I liked it quite a bit more than the last one. It still wasn't any Prisoner of Azkaban though, which is my gold standard of the series. Like many other knitters, I was totally in love with a bunch of the knitted and crocheted items, particularly the hooded sweater that Hermione wears, which appeared to be in Gryffindor colors. I was looking around online to see if anyone had a still of it (alas, no luck), but I did find a number of discussions on it. Interestingly, it seems that those of us who saw the movie at a normal theater say the sweater was made Gryffindor colors and those who saw the IMAX version say it is maroon with pink and/or white stripes! Hmmm...I wonder which is correct??

Labels:

18 Comments:

At July 18, 2007 6:53 PM, Blogger C+SK said...

Oh my god, woman - that is a fantastic knit!!! It's absolutely perfectly detailed!
And it looks great on you! Fabulous!

Maybe to prevent the collar from rolling, try a tiny stitch underneath every couple of inches, between the edge and itself. Hmm, not sure I can explain what I mean...

 
At July 18, 2007 8:02 PM, Blogger Emma said...

It's so beautiful! Hopefully you'll adjust to it and stop worrying about the little imperfections, because really, it looks amazing!

 
At July 18, 2007 8:23 PM, Blogger Rina said...

It looks great on you though. I know what you mean with short length sweater. I hate every time I have to pull down my sweater.
The stripe is awesome!

 
At July 18, 2007 9:30 PM, Blogger Opal said...

It looks fabulous on you! What a great job you did! The buttons are a perfect match.

 
At July 19, 2007 3:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your Caister turned out so beautifully - it's stunning indeed! I'm so sorry that it didn't turn out the way you expected it to, but perhaps you'll get to adjust to it after wearing it a couple of times? The striping rocks big time!

 
At July 19, 2007 4:03 AM, Blogger Brahdelt said...

Beautiful refreshing Summer colours, I think you did a great job! ^^

 
At July 19, 2007 7:50 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

Wow, I just love Caister! It came out so pretty. You really did a beautiful job - especially with the finishing. I love it! Even though you're picking out what you wish went differently now, hopefully those feelings will fade soon.

Glad the HP movie was good - I think we're gonna try to go see it this weekend. That is, if we can tear ourselves away from the new book! Great seeing you last weekend!

PS - I swear I thought the butt shot was gone - I set it to private, but I guess that doesn't make a difference when you invite people to look at your set. Sorry!

 
At July 19, 2007 4:17 PM, Blogger JustApril said...

I really like how the stripes look. I'm sorry you don't LOVE it so much, but I bet you'll wear it some in spite of the collar rolling. It looks good on you!

 
At July 19, 2007 6:55 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

For all is issues, it really is a lovely piece of knitwear. Nicely done! Here's hoping that it starts to conform a bit more to the shape you were hoping for.

 
At July 20, 2007 12:53 AM, Blogger Zonda said...

It is beautiful! All those stripes! Yikes! Looks really good on you! Phew, I bet you are relived to be done with it!

 
At July 20, 2007 7:38 AM, Blogger Aim said...

You did a great job, I love that sweater! (Like your blog too!)

 
At July 20, 2007 1:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

oh I like the cute, dainty collar! Looks great!

 
At July 21, 2007 10:24 PM, Blogger Larjmarj said...

I think it looks great on you! Maybe the cotton in time will shape to fit more to your liking.

 
At July 23, 2007 9:40 AM, Blogger Jana said...

The thought of getting those sleeve stripes to match up with the body stripes? Yipes. That would drive me nuts! It came out so pretty though. Maybe the cotton will stretch and it will lengthen. It's really a cute summer sweater...

 
At July 24, 2007 6:45 AM, Blogger Prachi said...

I can see why you feel it's too short, but it is truly a wonderfully finished product! Love the details and it fits you beautifully.

 
At July 24, 2007 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Azkaban's my gold standard too. :-) I wish they would bring back Cuaron to do the last two films! Haven't seen Phoenix yet, but hope to this week... I'm cautiously optimistic, considering how much material (and storylines) they had to cut.

And I think Caister is lovely! Will steam help the collar issue?

 
At July 26, 2007 5:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Caister is amazing - and it looks beautiful on you! Hopefully as you wear it it will become more of the sweater you wanted - but I think its really impressive and beautiful. We are going to see HP this weekend - and I just started the last book.

 
At August 14, 2007 5:12 AM, Blogger Hasbu said...

Caister is lovely and looks very good on you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home