Friday, May 25, 2007

Thanks to all of you who offered suggestions for lace patterns in the last post--there were definitely some intriguing options! The lace yarn may be temporarily cast aside in favor of a couple other projects I'm mulling over but it will re-surface at some point, you can be sure.

Of course, I first need to finish up Caister. Can you believe that I didn't knit a stitch last weekend? The show we went to was supposed to be outdoors but due to the rainy weather it ended up being indoors, and that was just not conducive to knitting! I've only knitted one of the sleeve bands (actually have 2 cm more to go which shouldn't take more than 10 minutes). All this delay doesn't really matter much anyway, as I still need to get buttons and I won't be able to for another couple weeks. Apparently they don't believe in selling buttons in this town. I hope we don't see a rash of falling trousers and half-open shirts. That would be scary!

I thought I would show how I have been dealing with the stripes/yarn issues. I was originally cutting the yarn after each stripe except for colors that would be used again shortly. However, it turned out that weaving in a ton of ends (besides being not fun) caused a slight change in texture of the final fabric, making it kind of stiffer and not as nice. So, I ended up carrying the yarn up the sides as much as possible, although I still cut yarn when it's a color that won't be used for a long time. Carrying the yarn up the side makes for a rather messy selvedge...Here is the "nice" selvedge:
And here is the messy one (with woven-in ends that are kinda sloppy looking too!):Not perfect but I decided this was the lesser of two evils. I guess with cotton yarn there are better ways of weaving in ends--for example, I saw it suggested that you split the plies and weave each ply in separately--but that just sounded excruciating, especially with yarn that is already very fine. Blocking seems to take out any irregularity but it will be interesting to see how the seaming goes. So, anyone have any clever tricks for dealing with stripes that I might be able to use next time?

We've been having some amazing summer-y weather (although it was a bit hot for my taste today--I think my ideal temp is 65 degrees). Yesterday G and I were intending to see a play about Patsy Cline that his friend's band is featured in. We went to dinner first, and right as we were finishing up the power went out. Went outside to discover this:Have no idea what happened here but it would appear that one pole was hit, pulling two others with it. We hung around until 7 PM but they ended up having to cancel the show.

All on the way down there and back, I kept having this little cough. Could not figure out what it was until I woke up in the middle of the night with my throat on fire! Looks like I got some kind of cold, ugh. Here is a little tableau of my afternoon (left work at 2 PM):Hope this goes away stat, as my parents are coming tomorrow to visit for the weekend and I don't want to be a miserable wreck! I'm starting to feel a bit better and I think I'm gonna run off to bed now so I can get a full night of sleep. Hope everyone has a fun and relaxing Memorial Day weekend!

One last photo for ya--I found out that someone loves yarn as much as I do:
I guess we'll have to share?

Labels:

15 Comments:

At May 26, 2007 1:34 AM, Blogger Larjmarj said...

Gargle with salt water, it'll clear out the (stuff) from your throat and is mildly antiseptic. Also, some saline nasal spray, de-germ your nasal passages while you're at it and LOTs of vitamin C. There's my 2 cents. The selvedge looks great even the "sloppy" one.

 
At May 26, 2007 6:28 AM, Blogger Opal said...

I hope you feel better soon! I just love that picture with the cat. So cute!

 
At May 26, 2007 6:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spring colds are the worst. Be Gone With It!

 
At May 26, 2007 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi-

I found you through Knit Blue (!) and I enjoy reading your blog. I have a recommendation regarding your cold--zinc gluconate losenges. We fight off more colds with them if we start right when we feel something, or shorten the duration of one if it gets ahead of us. Good luck!

 
At May 26, 2007 10:17 AM, Blogger Zonda said...

Hope you feel better soon! That's the bad thing about stripy things, the ends. I have no hints for you, sorry!

 
At May 26, 2007 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, what a cute kitty photo.

I have a suggestion for what to do with your ends. It's called a Russian Join, and you can see how it's done here: junior-classics-vol1_048_patten.mp3

 
At May 26, 2007 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eep! I pasted a leftover bit of text as I forgot to actually copy the address. Here's the Russian join: http://www.geocities.com/mama_bear_007/Russian_Join.html

 
At May 26, 2007 6:58 PM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

You saw what I did with my ends after I knotted them all first. Next time, I'll get fray check for the little devils. get well soon!

 
At May 26, 2007 11:17 PM, Blogger Rina said...

uggghh. stripes. I don't know how to help you with that. Fray check may help.

 
At May 27, 2007 12:10 AM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

Oh, what a sweet kitty! And so gentle with the yarn...

Take care of yourself and get better. It's no fun being sick in the warm weather!

 
At May 27, 2007 2:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well - spring colds are just the worst and I hope you'll be feeling much, much better soon!
I so feel with you about the ends with your stripey project - this must be the biggest reason why I never muster up the courage - or the nerve - to try my hands at it. But I know you'll be managing it just fine - fingers crossed!

 
At May 27, 2007 6:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better soon! I can't imagine weaving in each strand of a ply separately- I think that would put me off knitting for the rest of my life! I don't have any suggestions, but hope you do find one soon - but I think it looks fine as is.

 
At May 29, 2007 10:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ugh, what a pain! If it was wool I'd definitely recommend splicing, my new favorite technique! But with cotton...no fun! Fray check...I'd never have thought of that, sounds like a good thing.

 
At May 30, 2007 7:26 AM, Blogger Prachi said...

Hope you're feeling better by now, Lobstah!

 
At June 13, 2007 10:56 PM, Blogger Sharmane said...

Awwwwww, knittin' kitten is cute! Thanks for the message. I can't wait to get settled again so I can start bloggin'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home