Tuesday, April 10, 2007

It's a bit late for the Feb/March Project Spectrum party, but it's finished and whew, I'm relieved! This thing was becoming a wintry weight around my neck, and with all the finishing details required (zippers, cuffs, bottom band, etc.) I was seriously procrastinating.

I don't think this is my best sweater but I don't dislike it either. Substituting a different yarn (and a rather rustic hand-spun one at that!) required a lot of calculations. Despite all my work to convert the pattern, the pieces still didn't have the exact shape required. After decreasing the raglan portions to the proper length, I ended up with much wider tops than there was supposed to be, resulting in a too-large neck opening. I made the collar band as short as I dared and probably eased in a good 7 or 8 inches (!) of neck opening while attaching the collar. Still, the collar seems a bit gaping to me but I think I can live with it. I also couldn't find cute toggles like the ones in the pattern photo but I can easily replace those if I find better ones.

The ever-fascinating "wrong side" shot:
I had a lot of yarn left over. I'm not sure what I'll do with it...
Pattern Notes:
"Maine Fair-Isle Cardigan", AKA Pattern #28 from Vogue Knitting Winter 2004/2005. Knit in 100% wool yarn purchased from a local hobby farm.

I didn't have any problems with the pattern. I do think there are some small errors near the beginning of the pattern in terms of how many stitches you should have on the needle. Since I was calculating my own numbers anyway, I didn't get too involved in trying to figure out if there really was a problem, but I wrote a bit about it here.

Overall I am fairly pleased with the final product. However this thing is heavy and I don't think there will be many days that it will be comfortable to wear it, even up here!

Even if it doesn't look like spring here, I'm ready to start some spring knitting. I've gathered the yarn for Caister, from the newest Rowan #41 and it looks so cheerful and bright:I was totally boring and bought the "suggested" colors, but with only internet purchasing available to me I didn't dare try to substitute! That usually results in disaster for me. And, it so happens that two of the three Project Spectrum colors for April/May are represented here: Pink and Green!
Whee!

Labels: , ,

21 Comments:

At April 10, 2007 9:35 PM, Blogger Annie said...

The sweater is absolutely beautiful!

 
At April 10, 2007 9:41 PM, Blogger Emma said...

I think the sweater looks amazing. Great job! And the spring-y yarn is wonderful. Great photos!

 
At April 10, 2007 10:00 PM, Blogger OldRound said...

My mom made me a gazillion Lopi sweaters. I know what you mean about heavy. At least you have made a cardigan. I so wish she made me a cardigan because at least you can unzip or unbutton when you start to overheat!
Sweater looks great. Can't wait to see your new project. Flickr is misbehaving tonite so I haven't been able to see what it is.

 
At April 10, 2007 11:12 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

It looks great! I know you're glad it is done too! Onward to lighter knitting! Caister is cute! I love the colors you picked out for it! I too, order online mostly and am often "surprised"!

 
At April 10, 2007 11:34 PM, Blogger Opal said...

The sweater looks wonderful!

 
At April 11, 2007 1:42 AM, Blogger Prachi said...

Hey, I think it actually looks very pretty on you! You should post some more pics of you modelling it. The colours also work very well together.

 
At April 11, 2007 3:25 AM, Blogger Hasbu said...

The sweater is absoluteky lovely! And the wring side looks very neat, too!

I love the yarn you have for Caister, looks like the spring is heading your way yarn-wise. :)

 
At April 11, 2007 10:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

YAY! I might just have to restart this sweater! it looks great on you :)

 
At April 11, 2007 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmmm spring yarn... yummy. I want spring to come here, so I can put away my mittens and jacket,
The sweater looks awesome by the way and the toggle button matches with the color scheme.

 
At April 11, 2007 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, I love pink and green! :-) Maybe by casting on with them, you'll encourage spring to come.

The new sweater looks fabulous. As for the leftovers--why, it's obvious--you need some winter accessories to match the sweater! How about some warm socks, or mittens and a hat? :-)

 
At April 11, 2007 4:37 PM, Blogger C+SK said...

I really like the cardigan - the fair isle looks great in that yarn! How about a scarf with the left overs?

Ohhh I can't wait to see the Rowan sweater - it looks lovely!

 
At April 11, 2007 5:56 PM, Blogger Brahdelt said...

The sweater looks beautiful! (and it say I, the grey-hater, but in this cardigan the grey just feels right, other colours wouldn't be appropriate! *^v^*). Great job!

 
At April 11, 2007 9:26 PM, Blogger Elinor said...

What a beautiful sweater! And I love the colors of that Rowan!

 
At April 11, 2007 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I mean, seriously: WOW!!! This sweater is absolutely awesome! The pattern looks fantastic, just enough colour changes to keep you interested, no? And it seems to have the perfect fit, which is definitely not an easy thing to achieve with these kind of sweaters! I think you did an absolutely fantastic job with it - congrats on a really great accomplishment!

 
At April 12, 2007 3:36 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Wow! You did such an amazing job on this sweater - one you'll be sure to wear tons (especially in your arctic climate!)

dude, you're crazy (not loopy crazy, just ambitious crazy) with all the 4-ply! All the prettiest rowan patterns are always made with teeny yarn (or super $$$ KSH), though. Maybe you'll inspire me to finally knit Rambling Rose from last summer's mag. yay for spring knits!

 
At April 12, 2007 7:22 PM, Blogger Casa Pearl said...

Fabulous sweater and with the weather we're getting, at least you can wear it a bit longer! LOL And I love the colors in your new project. I sure hope they bring us good weather.

 
At April 12, 2007 8:21 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

Nice job! You are inspiring me to take up the fight against my dreaded sweater curse. But I doubt that I will create anything that looks quite that nice. Very impressive!

 
At April 13, 2007 8:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful - wow! And it looks great on you! The spring sweater is very pretty - love the yarn colors.

 
At April 15, 2007 10:00 AM, Blogger Jana said...

The finished sweater looks awesome! Those were some ambitious modifications but I think you pulled them off really well? And that new project looks like it's going to be great spring knitting, the colors are fab.

 
At April 17, 2007 8:41 PM, Blogger Kirsten said...

I hope it warms up for you soon. In the mean time you have a lovely warm new sweater to keep you nice and cozy!
Beautiful work!

 
At April 18, 2007 8:38 PM, Blogger BrownPants said...

Oh wow! It's awesome! You should be really really proud!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home