Sunday, March 18, 2007

The weather yesterday was totally disgusting...it snowed 8 or 10 inches overnight on Friday but on Saturday it changed to ice and sleet all day. The cars were encased in ice and the snow on top of the windshield and hood was all crusty.Our driveway gets too full of snow by the end of winter to fully plow it (nowhere to push the snow!). Our plow guy loves to push at as far as he can, which usually leads to a giant bank of snow right at our front door. Poor G had to shovel through and ended up with a snow bank almost as tall as me!It was a good day to stay in, knit, watch movies, and also make a super St. Patricks day meal. Here's my vegetarian version of it:This is a veggie reuben, with boiled potatoes, carrots, and cabbage on the side. What is a veggie reuben, you ask? It's homemade bean burger with sauerkraut and "special sauce" (mayo, russian dressing, and relish), all on rye bread and grilled in a pan with butter. It's really yummy! And of course I had to make some Irish Soda Bread:The only thing we forgot to get was some Guinness :( Oh well!
Earlier this week I finished the first arm of the Maine Fair-Isle Cardigan, so I pinned the pieces together to do a preliminary try-on:I think it is going to fit OK. The fronts are all curling up which is why it looks like the fronts don't meet. The only really messed-up part is that the neck opening is larger than it should be. Hopefully I can get the collar on without it looking too strange! I finished the second sleeve yesterday so now I need to block the pieces. Anyone want to help weave in ends?? ;)

Labels:

15 Comments:

At March 18, 2007 11:25 AM, Blogger Emma said...

Sounds like a cozy St. Patrick's Day in. It was warm and windy here yesterday, and today too. We're having a full week of stormy weather coming up though. It's still got to be better than all that snow though!

Send me your sweater, I'll weave in the ends for you. It looks gorgeous!

 
At March 18, 2007 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I drank a guinness for you.

 
At March 19, 2007 12:22 AM, Blogger Zonda said...

Oh wow! That looks like a storm we had in Belgrade..we got our driveway plowed 2 times that storm! The sweater is looking awesome so far!

 
At March 19, 2007 1:15 AM, Blogger Prachi said...

I hope you guys don't get any more snow; my friend in Mass. was complaining about her car being packed in by the road-clearers also. The sweater looks lovely! Happy St. Patrick's Day.

 
At March 19, 2007 4:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a very nice St. Patrick's day! The sweater is beautiful!

 
At March 19, 2007 6:18 AM, Blogger Hasbu said...

Your sweater is absolutely beautiful!

 
At March 19, 2007 6:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems we're having the same yucky weather over here - last night we got the first snow (!) this winter and it still snows like mad - argh! Great for skiing, but I hate all this stuff down here in the valley ;(
Your St. Patrick's Day's goodies look so absolutely yummy - and hey, I had a Guinness for you too! ;)

 
At March 19, 2007 10:39 AM, Blogger Brahdelt said...

The food looks yummy, I totally forgot about st.Patrick's day... (not that it is very widely celebrated in Poland though).
The cardigan looks nice, classic and elegant.

 
At March 19, 2007 7:28 PM, Blogger Opal said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your bad weather. Your sweater looks gorgeous!

 
At March 20, 2007 9:36 AM, Blogger tatjana said...

Hey! The sweater looks great! Are those raisins in your soda bread? I only know the plain, brown, kinda dense soda bread, which is good, but yours looks yummier ;) Hope your weather gets better!

 
At March 20, 2007 9:47 AM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Sweater's looking good and the soda bread---YUM. Uh, we're already in shorts and t-shirts--for the next 7 months, all woolies are in storage.:(

 
At March 20, 2007 4:23 PM, Blogger JustApril said...

mmmmmmmm Guinness

your sweater looks SO good! Sorry about the crusty ice crap - we get that at least 3 times every winter, that IS our winter around here! Stupidly, though, everyone still tries to drive in it, and it's rare that they know how. sad

 
At March 22, 2007 6:32 AM, Blogger Jana said...

The sweater looks great! I do the same thing, as soon as I start finishing pieces I start to pin them together and try them on, trying to imagine how it will look when finished. I call it the 'frankensweater' stage:) That St. Pats meal looks good too!

 
At March 22, 2007 12:33 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Wow, the sweater is looking fantastic! Nice job! I can't wait to see it all finished up (hopefully in person!).

Bummer about all the snow. I thought we were done with all this?

 
At March 22, 2007 3:21 PM, Blogger C+SK said...

Oh the cardigan is coming out great!!! I love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home