Thursday, March 08, 2007

Finally Finished: Double-Rolled Mittens

Double-rolled mittens in Project Spectrum colors, possibly should be renamed "Goofy Mittens":(Didja notice that I wore another one of my knits today?)

These mittens just look really silly to me and they make me laugh! Especially the "shag on the cuff" (as Ms. Hansen calls it):I made eight million mistakes on these but I was too lazy to fix them. On the first mitten, I used needles that were too big and then switched halfway through so the thumb has a funny crook to it. The second mitten came out a smidge too short so I just tried to stretch it out during the wet block. They'll do!Pattern Notes: "Double-Rolled Mittens" from the book Favorite Mittens by Robin Hansen. Knit with Bartlett Yarns 2-ply Fisherman (also used for the shaggy cuffs) and lined with Bartlett pencil roving.

If you're not comfortable with a bit of self-interpretation, you're probably not gonna like any of the patterns in this book. They are written in a pretty loose style and there seem to be errors or vague parts in some of them. Just do a little trial-and-error if you're confused and you should be able to figure it out!

Also, a note on the "shag"--I made the ribbed cuffs to the length specified in the pattern and they seemed way too short at first. However, adding the shag to the cuffs really lengthened them! Also, if you are going to use worsted weight wool I would recommend using something slightly larger than the pencil that's recommended for wrapping it. The pieces are just a tad shorter than I would have liked.

So...spring training is under way and opening day is less than a month off. My first little flower seedlings are happily growing:And we're still stuck with Siberia-like temps. And can you believe this pile of snow:It reaches the second story! So much for the view huh? I think I will need to start a regular feature of photos documenting its melting, because I'm pretty sure there's going to be remnants of it well into May! Oh well, at least starting Saturday we are looking at temps in the mid to upper 30's. Break out the shorts!

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

At March 08, 2007 8:45 PM, Blogger Opal said...

OMG! 30 degrees? My little tropical person would be a frozen popsicle! No shorts for me! People around here complain of the cold when it gets to the 60's. *snarf!*

 
At March 09, 2007 5:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cute mittens - love the shag part. I can't believe how cold its been this week - I'm ready for spring!

 
At March 09, 2007 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Lord tha is a PILE of snow. Those are MITTENS. They are perfectly silly for the silly weather like you have up there.

 
At March 09, 2007 7:31 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

i dig the mittens. was the shag very time consuming?

that huge pile of snow is daunting. it might be later than may before that thing melts!

it's hilarious you're excited for 30 degree weather. move to CT where it's tropical (in comparison, at least).

 
At March 09, 2007 3:54 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

cute mittens! we are fully into spring now - my crocuses are out and the daffodils not far behind. I'm planning to get some pansies in too. Quite different from our snow through Easter situation last year.

 
At March 09, 2007 6:39 PM, Blogger Annie said...

Those mittens are cool! It's nice to make something that will make you laugh. :-)

 
At March 10, 2007 12:55 AM, Blogger Zonda said...

I love those mittens! YIKES! that is a ton of snow!! Hope spring arrives for you soon! :)

 
At March 10, 2007 8:22 AM, Blogger Kirsten said...

Adorable mittens!!
I love to see perky seedlings in their tidy flats. Such hopeful little signs of spring they are!!

 
At March 10, 2007 11:29 PM, Blogger Elinor said...

I bet the mittens are warm, even if a little silly. When it's that cold and there's that much snow, no mitten looks silly. That's my opinion.

I just discovered your blog. Your pictures remind me of where I went to boarding school (on the MA/NH border). They're beautiful!

 
At March 11, 2007 6:27 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

We almost got to fifty degrees down here in the southern part of the state. It was positively balmy!

I think that any mitten that keeps the hands warm can look any way it wants. Nice job!

 
At March 12, 2007 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the colour of your mittens! (me - blue?... yeah, I can change my colour tastes, too. ^^)
I hope the snow will melt down soon, I'm sending you some bright warm sun from here (for the snow and for your flower seedlings! ^^).

 
At March 12, 2007 9:53 AM, Blogger Brahdelt said...

Ouch, Blogger logged me out... This last annonymous comment was form me. ^^

 
At March 12, 2007 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

heheh those are so fun!!

 
At March 12, 2007 9:22 PM, Blogger Casa Pearl said...

Your mittens are fantastic! They look so comfy cozy. Congrats on them. And I see you're doing a toe up sock - how is that going? Have you tried the technique before? I'm trying to learn it....

 
At March 13, 2007 8:17 AM, Blogger BrownPants said...

They look so comfy!

 
At March 15, 2007 2:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My gosh, what a pile of snow! We got a lousy 2 inches all winter long, so seeing this is like seeing something from outer space to me ;) Yay for spring!
Hey, I absolutely love your mittens, they're totally cute - and who cares about a couple mistakes? They can't be seen on the pics, and if they would, then it wouldn't be a problem at all either - just call it "freestyle knitting" ;)

 
At March 16, 2007 12:56 PM, Blogger JustApril said...

Those are awesome mittens! You're gonna need them everytime you look at that pile of snow! I'm all chilly from the safety of TX

 

Post a Comment

<< Home