Thursday, February 08, 2007

You all made me feel much better with your commiseration on the car thing! It's always nice to know you're not alone in dealing with crappiness...and hey, on the scale of life crappiness this one rates pretty low, right?

The story actually got even funnier this week. I decided to drop my car off at the local garage to at least get a diagnosis, hoping that would help me decide whether I should waste more time and money on the problem. Well, despite it being below zero the night I left it, they claimed that they didn't hear the noise the next morning! Arrggh! I went back that afternoon after the car had sat all day and started it for them to listen to. As my luck would have it, it just barely made the noise. I'm not sure they even heard what I was trying to point out (picture me going, "Didja hear it? Didja? It went like this...*me making silly noise*"). They were like, "Sounds like a normal engine starting up. I wouldn't worry about if there's no other problem."

So with dejected heart I brought the car home, feeling like the crazy lady who hears things no one else can hear. But, in a fit of silliness, I took a video of the car starting up with noise, and posted it on YouTube! See, I'm NOT crazy (er, I swear)! Let me know if you have an inkling of what it could be. My (sainted) co-worker who has been listening to me whine about this all week even asked his mechanic what it might be, and was told that it could be pressure building in the steering pump or something? I dunno.

Anywho, I've been plugging along on what I've dubbed the "Maine Fair-Isle Cardi" (due to the local Maine yarn, yah?) and I'm about to start the big fair-isle part. Otherwise it just looks like a big gray blob, so no photo yet. I'm also going to have a brief interruption to make a blanket square for Rebekah's awesome "Blanket of Hope" project. She is looking for squares of any size or design, the only requirement is that they be of wool or wool blend yarn. So if you have time to whip up a square or two, be sure to check her site.

In other exciting news, the new Rowan showed up today! I don't know about everyone else, but I am very, very pleased with this issue. I see so much that I really like, especially in the "Promenade" story. I'm particularly enamored of these:From left to right, Caister, Nerissa, and Maritime. I even ordered the yarn for Caister today, he he he. Actually, I'm starting to wish I got the yarn for Maritime too, as I am a total sucker for the Navy/Lavender color combo. But I guess I'll have to hold off on that one. And there's a lot of other nice patterns too...if only I had more time to knit, wah!

And, two good things to end the post with...1) Tomorrow is FRIDAY!!!...and...2) Our landlord called tonight and claims that he will be bringing our new fridge over tomorrow! Is it lights out for the 1960's fridge? Let's hope so!

7 Comments:

At February 09, 2007 12:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my, cars! You know, that's a thing that happened to me all the time in the past - whenever a problem would come up and I headed to the mechanics to have it fixed, the problem just wasn't there anymore! Nothing, nada, just a car making normal sounds and doing the normal things it's supposed to do. And yep, as soon as I left the place, the problems began again. Mechanics - no problem. Back home - problems, noises, all kinds of stuff. I filed these experiences under "Murphy's Law" - can't be anything else, can it?

 
At February 09, 2007 7:01 AM, Blogger Kirsten said...

It sounds like you need to call the "Car Talk" boys with your car problems! They'll love the fact that you made a YouTube of it!
Thanks for the heads up about the new Rowan. I'm off to check it out now.

 
At February 09, 2007 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second Kirsten, call "Car Talk" I love Car Talk.

Thanks for mentioning my project, I really appreciate it. I can use all the aid I can get in getting the word out.

I'm going to have to go to my big LYS and seek out that issue, looks like a good one.

 
At February 09, 2007 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i third the car talk suggestion...they're so much fun!

 
At February 09, 2007 9:47 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

Hate being a girl in the world of auto repair. Even when I know what the problem is I can never muster up the right language to tell them what is going on. And I have to wait in the Room With Very Uncomfortable Chairs while they attempt to fix it. I knit and periodically have to explain that I do not have a husband who can swing by and pick me up so I don't have to wait in the RWVUC.

I have an oil change due. Pooh.

 
At February 12, 2007 11:10 PM, Blogger JustApril said...

I hope your car thingy gets figured out soon!

happy blobbing along on the cardi =)*)

 
At February 13, 2007 2:05 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Ugh. Is the car situation any better now? that's funny you videotaped it! At least you have proof now.

The new rowan looks good. I let my subscription lapse, probably wasn't a good idea now that I see this issue...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home