Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Hooray for snow! We are supposed to get up to 20 inches, so they let us out of work early and now I have to whole afternoon to goof around! We already got about 8 or 10 inches and the heavy stuff isn't supposed to start until around 4 PM. I must say, even though we haven't had a ton of snow up 'til now, we have been really blessed with beautiful, fluffy, powdery snow when we do get it (including now). Definitely unusual for the northeast (more commonly it seems to be wet, back-breaking stuff).

I put together a mosaic of photos featuring this month's Project Spectrum colors of blue, gray, and white:(Original photos can be viewed on Flickr)

And as for my Project Spectrum cardigan...
It's looking quite nice, but underneath that pretty exterior there is a dark side! The cardigan's been in "time out" for the last couple days due to some concerns about whether this thing is going to properly fit! I'm not sure if I calculated wrong, or if my gauge has changed while knitting, or if I just didn't swatch properly...but the proportions just seem wonky. The body is knit in one piece (back and forth), and then you divide and work the raglan decreases separately for the back and fronts. The bottom part that wraps around the whole body seems a bit big. Then, the fair-isle part seems to have a much smaller gauge than I measured, so that part is a bit tight. Hrmph!

I ended up doing a "pre-block" (as shown above), pinning and spraying it with water to see if the fair-isle would stretch to an acceptable size. It definitely did stretch, but I still think this thing may look pretty funny in the end. Oh well, I've decided to at least finish the front panels and maybe that will give me a better idea of whether it's going to work. This is a pretty fast knit so I don't have much to lose.

Now, I'm off to enjoy the rest of this snowy afternoon :)

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

At February 14, 2007 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your fair isle looks gorgeous.

I've never done fair isle, so I can't say anything about gauge or...things like that.

Your pictures look great.

 
At February 14, 2007 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow 20 inches! Now that's my kind of snow storm. We only had 3.5 but St. Louis nearly shut down, no one here knows how to drive in the stuff.

Lovely pictures today! Your swear looks amazing.

 
At February 14, 2007 5:02 PM, Blogger Opal said...

Gorgeous pictures and your fair isle is lovely. I hope you can resolve the fit issues! Enjoy your afternoon off!

 
At February 14, 2007 9:03 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Wow!! 20"!! Brrr!

The fair isle is looking good! Go you! :)

 
At February 14, 2007 11:26 PM, Blogger Annie said...

That cardigan is so pretty! I hope it works out. It would be a shame to put it on permanent time-out.

 
At February 15, 2007 6:43 AM, Blogger Jana said...

Love the colors on that cardigan. I had gauge issues this week too, maybe it's this time of year or something... Enjoy the snow!

 
At February 15, 2007 8:38 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

Wow 20 inches! i'm so jealous! we got about 5 inches of ice crystals. you can walk on top of the snow!

Bummer about the gauge issues. I think you're doing the right thing to just keep trucking. You can always block it into submission later:)

 
At February 15, 2007 10:10 AM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

Beautiful Fair Isle. That is one technique I have not yet tried. I am in awe of all you who do!

I hope by now you have been plowed and shoveled out but that you didn't have to go to work...

Is all well with your car now? I can relate - we just dropped $1000 on mine.

 
At February 15, 2007 11:27 AM, Blogger Kirsten said...

I hope you took some time to play in that pretty white, fluffy snow! We got mostly ice here. My front steps are coated with about 2" sheet of ice, and there seems to be no tool, short of a pick axe that will break through it.
Hope it all works out with your cardigan.

 
At February 15, 2007 12:21 PM, Blogger Prachi said...

I love the bluish photos of the snow and the sky. And I know you love the snow, but it is really nice for me to agree and admire it from afar! A friend of ours was to be here for conference from Maine but her flights have all got cancelled, I believe.
Don't ignore that small voice at the back of your head if the pullover seems wonky! (ask me how I know!)

 
At February 16, 2007 6:33 PM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Ooooh horsies! Fair isle--ah, I try to keep my floats loose but they always tighten up a bit. Then I overcompensate. better too big--you can always nip&tuck in the finishing. Good luck!

 
At February 17, 2007 4:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, I so love your mosaic, especially all the shades of blue, very inspirational! And your Fair Isle looks absolutely fantastic, I so totally wish I could do that so neatly and evenly too. Very beautiful indeed!

 
At February 18, 2007 9:58 PM, Blogger JustApril said...

Gorgeous pix - blue is my fav color. I hope the gauge thing gets resolved. That's a lot of work just if you have to start again.

 
At February 23, 2007 8:43 AM, Blogger Sharmane said...

Nicely done. I particularly like the blue picture in the top right hand corner of the mosaic, beautiful colors in the sky. (I totally copied your mosaic idea for my knitting stuff.)

Thanks for posting on my blog. I added a self made button/link of your site. =)

 
At February 23, 2007 9:24 AM, Blogger Lolly said...

Love your mosaic! I love to see that the colors have been inspiring you too!

Great progress on the cardi~

 

Post a Comment

<< Home