Wednesday, January 10, 2007

I'm sure you're all dying to know what my latest project is, right? ;) Well, take a peek:My best-est friend is due to have a baby (it's a boy!) in early April, and as her only knitterly friend I just had to make a baby blanket. The pattern is supposedly the one pictured in this Filatura Di Crosa baby booklet:However, the design that is coming off my needles looks significantly different. The one in the photo has parallel zig-zags, and mine is sort of basket-weave looking. I presume it's a screw up on their part because I'm pretty sure I'm following it correctly. I wasn't really sure how I liked this "imposter" pattern, but it's grown on me.

Here is a bit better photo of the pattern:I'm using the specified yarn, Zarella, which is a half wool/half acrylic blend. It definitely feels rougher to me than 100% wool yarn, in a sense, with that acrylic-y texture that I can't quite describe. I'm not in love with it yet but if it softens up with washing I'll be happy. The color is #409, and is a bit more vivid in real life.

I actually started this around Christmas but had to rip it out because it was way too wide. I only re-started it a week or so ago, and I'm already half done! I was worried about getting this done in time for her shower, but I guess I have nothing to worry about. I even got some yarn to make a little something to go with it (more on that in a future post).

I decided to sign up for Project Spectrum...we'll see how much I follow along with it but I thought it would be fun to get creative with color this year.

Hooray for getting halfway through the work week!

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

At January 10, 2007 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the basketweave looks great!

 
At January 10, 2007 10:12 PM, Blogger Opal said...

That will be a gorgeous gift. It's looking fabulous!

 
At January 10, 2007 10:37 PM, Blogger Prachi said...

I don't know, it looks to me like it's zigging and zagging alright! I like the soft pastels, perfect for a baby.
I wanted to say last time, good luck with finding a job you like!

 
At January 11, 2007 12:25 AM, Blogger Zonda said...

Beautiful blanket! I like how it is coming out! Lovely colorway! :)

 
At January 11, 2007 5:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is very pretty - and such a nice colorway for a baby. I really like that its not the typical baby pastel...

 
At January 11, 2007 8:46 AM, Blogger tatjana said...

What pretty colours! And I'm very impressed with your knit review in the last post, I wouldn't call you a slow knitter at all :D

 
At January 11, 2007 11:00 AM, Blogger Brahdelt said...

Wow, you're a fast knitter! The pattern looks interesting the way it is.

 
At January 11, 2007 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like your zigzags better than a straight parallel zz!

 
At January 11, 2007 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh it's very cute. I often wonder if they tage odd photographs which make the blankets look completely different. Sure we like seeing the babies, but a better picture of patterns in pattern books would be nice.

 
At January 11, 2007 9:52 PM, Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

Very pretty blankie! I'm sure it will soften up nicely. And it will probably get quite a bit of washing over the course of its lifetime!

 
At January 11, 2007 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, what a yummy blanket - I really, really love the pattern, and the colourway is so cute! As for it being a bit rougher than basic wool - perhaps you should try washing it with a bit of conditioner after finishing it - it usually softens things up considerably!

 
At January 13, 2007 2:48 AM, Blogger BrownPants said...

Oooh, I like your imposter pattern! You're tearing thought that blanket too!

 
At January 14, 2007 11:56 PM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

Oh, I think it is beautiful! And as Dipsy said - it should soften up with washing and fabric softner.
Lucky friend!

 
At January 16, 2007 6:42 AM, Blogger Jana said...

I like how it's looking a lot. The pattern is unique from a lot of the baby blankets you see but with the pretty colors it's still very baby appropriate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home