Sunday, January 07, 2007

First off, thanks for your comments on the cardigan :) I'd respond personally but I still haven't figured out how you respond via e-mail to blogger comments. Anyone feel free to enlighten me!

I'm finding it quite fun to look at all the goodies I was able to make this year:

Frankly, I'm kinda amazed at how much I was able to complete despite my relatively slow knitting pace: five adult sweaters, a baby sweater, a lace shawl, and eight small projects (mittens, socks, scarves). I really had fun making all of them. The only ones that I recall being a bit frustrating were the convertible mittens (trying to convert a single-knit pattern to a double knit pattern and just general fitting problems resulted in many rips and re-knits) and the Cherie pullover (due to pattern errata). As for my favorites, well, the bobble cardigan was probably the most fun to knit, and the flirty ruffles shawl was an exciting challenge...until the ruffles when it became kind of a drag. The items that have gotten the most use (excluding the gifts, no idea how much they get used) are probably G's Germany socks, the Twist cardigan, the Labrador Diamonds mittens, and the Panta headband.

I feel like my knitting skills really came together this year. I finally feel comfortable with sizing of garments and I am starting to have a much better sense of which patterns will work for me and which I will find enjoyable. This year I became an adamant gauge-swatcher (and washer!), which was a very smart thing. Why we avoid that very sage advice when we are newbie knitters
(not to speak for everyone, just seems to be a common thing) I have no idea! I also spent much of this year trying to learn the intricacies of different cast-ons, bind-offs, selvages, seams, etc and I think it is starting to pay off in the finished product. The book "Knitter's Handbook" by Montse Stanley has been invaluable for this.

I don't really have any major goals this year for knitting. I hope to do some more fair isle/color work and I would also like to continue refining the details and finishing techniques on everything I make. I also plan to learn the combination knitting method. I am curious to see if it produces a more even stockinette stitch for me, and of course it would just be fun to learn something new!

My personal goals this year are to try to exercise a bit more regularly, to be a bit more fastidious in cleaning up messes in the house when they happen (and avoid the 20 minute stove top scrub), and most of all to find a new and better job by the end of the year. But hey, I'm not huge on resolutions so, "Que sera, sera"!

Now that you've kindly and patiently sat through these rather boring ramblings, here is a photo of what I am hoping and praying for this week:We are forecast to get 3 to 5 inches tomorrow, although that may change to rain/sleet by afternoon and then back to snow later in the evening. I'm crossing my fingers that the rain isn't enough to ruin the snow...some cross-country skiing would certainly help me with that regular exercise thing!

8 Comments:

At January 07, 2007 10:38 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Good luck with the snow! I would love to CC ski again!! Good way to stay fit!

Yeah, swatching, I'm learning I need to swatch socks too..urghhh!

But, better than frogging and reknitting right? :)

The only way I can respond to comments is if their email addy is linked in the comments. Unless I happen to have their email I can change it when I respond. HTH!

 
At January 08, 2007 7:08 AM, Blogger Brahdelt said...

Wow, snow! Could you please be so kind and send me some of it? I lost any hopes for the snow this year...
The swatch problem is quite common, because I think people want to start the project and see the results quickly (I'm talking about myself), but as I learned it's definitely better to wait and swatch than to frogg it later. ^^
When responding to comments I go to the blog of the person who left the comment and try to find his/her email there. If it's not public or anywhere on the blogpage, nothing can be done and I leave reply on my blog.

 
At January 08, 2007 2:07 PM, Blogger Prachi said...

Hey, I like that mosaic! I wish Typepad would allow me to do that. I had to settle for links to my album. You made a lot of things this year, congratulations!

 
At January 08, 2007 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow I don't think your slow at all, that's some amazing accomplishments for the year.

What a beautiful snowy picture, I'm going to have to enjoy snow vicariously this year I think, I really doubt we'll get any.

 
At January 09, 2007 4:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you get snow this week - and then I hope it comes here! What an amazing list you had last year - very impressive. And good luck finding a new job!

 
At January 10, 2007 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you've been so productive in the past year, and all those projects look so fantastic! It's amazing how much one gets to learn in a year of knitting, isn't it? And I'm absolutely with you on the swatch-thing - I so long refused to do them, but I'm feeling so much more confident with knitting "bigger" projects now that I started to swatch religiously!
Looking forward to seeing all your projects that you're going to make this year!

 
At January 10, 2007 11:12 AM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

Congratulations on a fantastic year of knitting! How can you say you are slow??
The Bobble sweater is stunning.
Can't help you on the email issue -sorry.

 
At January 10, 2007 7:43 PM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

If you just posted that bobble cardigan as your 2006 FO, I'd be impressed! Can't help you w/the snow and it looks like the e-mail thing has been sorted. Can't wait to see what you crank out in 2007!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home