Friday, January 19, 2007

Baby blanket, finished and blocked! First FO of 2007! And, I finally got these photos to depict the yarn color accurately.
I added a crocheted mini-picot edge of my own devising to the ends, and the selvedges are "double-slipped garter" from the Knitter's Handbook. The blocked blanket is about 40 inches square in size.
Pattern: "Print Blanket" from the 2004 Filatura Di Crosa Baby booklet. Knit using the recommended yarn, Filatura Di Crosa Zarella (color #409) on 5 mm needles.

This was a quick 'n' dirty knit, only took a couple of weeks! To me, the pattern as written comes out different than what is pictured in the booklet, but I'm OK with how it turned out.

The yarn was so-so. It's quite soft now after a hand-wash, but I don't find anything particularly outstanding about the yarn. Since I rarely use acrylic blends I don't have a lot to compare it to though. The colors it comes in are quite pretty, and it's a decent yarn, but I'm not sure it's worth the retail price (at least I got it on a WEBS discounted order). Also, I used eight balls of yarn for this project and there was like five or six knots to deal with...grrr! It's a machine-wash yarn but I notice that you are supposed to flat dry. I feel a bit bad about that as it's kind of a pain for a baby item.

Now, I'm making a little something extra to give with the blanket. Anyone have any guesses as to what this mystery project is?

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At January 20, 2007 4:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky baby. Nursing pad? j.k. It has to be hat? If you have any leftover you should wash and dry the swatch to see what happens to it.

 
At January 20, 2007 9:46 AM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

The blanket looks great. Hmmm - booties? Hat?

The snow always looks so beautiful when it is fresh - stay warm.

 
At January 20, 2007 1:41 PM, Blogger Prachi said...

It came out great! the colour is lovely, esp. in the first photo. I'm still puzzled about how it came out differently from the pattern, though.

And is that a hat?

 
At January 21, 2007 7:53 AM, Blogger Jana said...

Love the blanket. The colors are great and I like the stitch pattern a lot, even if it is different from what's in the book.

As for the mystery item, hmm... Maybe a hat? Or some type of knitted stuffed animal?

 
At January 21, 2007 9:57 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

ooh, pretty blanket. I'm sure the baby and parents will love it. I think you're okay with it having to air dry, it's machine washable at least!

I think you're making baby booties!

 
At January 22, 2007 10:03 AM, Blogger Larjmarj said...

Just gorgeous! It turned out beautifully. Wow you've got a lot of snow there. Send some this way!

 
At January 22, 2007 7:12 PM, Blogger Krista said...

That's a wonderful blanket! I wish I had more babies to knit for. Don't have a guess on the new project.

 
At January 22, 2007 7:46 PM, Blogger BrownPants said...

Lovely blanket! Well done!

 
At January 23, 2007 5:24 AM, Blogger tatjana said...

I would guess you're making a hat, because it looks too big for booties. I'm sorry you don't have anywhere to swing, but you're a lucky girl - if I could convince my boy, I'd prolly dance at home lol. And that story about your friend is great, it's so funny how people can surprise you.

 
At January 23, 2007 11:24 AM, Blogger Kirsten said...

Such a pretty blanket. I love that stitch pattern. I'm sure the baby and mom will cherish it.

 
At January 25, 2007 3:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cute baby blanket, I'm sure the little recipient is going to love it big time! The colours are so beautiful too, and so is the little picot edging you added - lovely detail!
As for your mystery project... hmmm... I also think it could be some little baby booties?

 
At January 29, 2007 7:37 PM, Blogger Opal said...

What a lovely baby blanket!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home