Wednesday, December 13, 2006

My Life as a Christmas Tree Saleswoman

Got back late Sunday night after launching my new but short-lived career in Christmas tree sales. A friend of ours owns a big tree farm up here, and while he sells most of his trees wholesale, he does go down to Massachusetts every year to run his own tree stand. G and I got roped into working for him the last two weekends. G also worked for him back in November when they were harvesting the trees. Here is one of the huge tree piles at the stand:
He brought 800 trees down from Maine and by the end of this past weekend he had less then 200 left! And he completely ran out of wreaths. I found it interesting how the first weekend we worked (Dec 2-3) was filled with all those crazy Christmas lovers who buy like 3 trees and 10 wreaths, and the second weekend was the ahem...normal people who just buy 1 tree. Market research in action!

I actually didn't really have to sell anything. My job was to run the cash register out of a camper-trailer, which I was very happy about because I could knit between customers! As a result, I am almost halfway done the first sleeve of the cardigan...pictures in my next post. Another fun benefit was getting a free tree which is in our living room and almost completely decorated...hopefully I can get some photos of that too.

Here is the tree stand at night; you can just see the glowing inflatable snowman looming over the place (he has a red hat):We had a great time, although I was totally tired by the long traveling required.

And oh yeah, we got our new matress set yesterday and can I say I haven't slept as well as I did last night in forever. We had to pick it up and bring it into the house ourselves due to our "outlying location", but it was all worth it. The only problem is that our existing bedframe was obviously designed for the thinner mattresses of yore and this new one (which is only a "plush" top, not even a full-on pillow top) completely swallows our headboard and foot board. I think I need a stepstool to get into bed!

Labels:

12 Comments:

At December 13, 2006 12:12 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Awwwww Thank you so much for my Maine Christmas tree fix!! We used to get them shipped here, but stopped. I can almost smell them! That is a lot of trees! Wow! Glad you got a lot of knitting done! :)

 
At December 13, 2006 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's a lot of trees. you guys are so nice to make the trek down to mass two weekends in a row. that's cool you got a tree out of it. good market research, too. some people are nuts.

 
At December 13, 2006 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's nothing better then a new mattress. Sleepy happy!

 
At December 13, 2006 3:25 PM, Blogger Angela said...

You got a princess bed!

I'd love to find somewhere local with wreaths, mmmm, the smell would be incredible.

 
At December 13, 2006 5:48 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

LOLOL! Outlying location.. now that's an understatement.

Sounds like an interesting couple of weekends. Did you feel sorry for the left over trees? I need to introduce Marius to the charlie brown tree... if we get one.

Happy birthday 'Little' Sis :D

 
At December 14, 2006 5:00 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Congrats on the new mattress! We got one a few years ago and it was amazing how nice it was compared to what we had (it didn't dip in the middle for one thing!).

 
At December 14, 2006 12:36 PM, Blogger Beth S. said...

I love a tree. Love it! It's my favorite part of the holiday (not least because it's so delightfully pagan to bring a tree into the house and festoon it with bright shiny things.) I have yet to find a candle that accurately captures that wonderful smell... know what I mean?

 
At December 15, 2006 1:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, all these beautiful trees - and how great that you got some extra knitting time there!
Yay for the new mattress - enjoy it, and have sweet dreams! ;)

 
At December 15, 2006 5:22 AM, Blogger Opal said...

Gorgeous trees! Doesn't a new mattress make all the difference in the world?

 
At December 15, 2006 8:40 PM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Hahahahahahaha!Sorry, but I just bought a tree where there was a nice lady in the trailer taking cash. We went for a Noble Fir and it doesn't smell like cat pee. 3 cheers for the new mattress--it's, like, addictive for naps.

 
At December 16, 2006 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm - fresh Christmas trees, knitting time AND a new mattress! Sounds great to me :-)

 
At December 17, 2006 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've got fifty degrees and balmy breezes down in this neck of the woods. I need all the Christmas images I can get if I'm going to stay in the spirit and finish up the holiday prep!!! Thanx for the tree visuals!

Another, "thanx" for stopping by my blog. Always good to hear from another Maine-ah!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home