Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Thanks everyone for your very kind comments on the Trellis cardigan! Tonight was the birthday boy's party and the parents (and all the guests) were very impressed! Dontcha love impressing people with your knitting? (Especially when you know it was pretty easy to do, ha ha).

Well, we still haven't gotten a frost here but most of the trees here have at least a quarter of their leaves changed! And the maples are pretty much completely changed already. The cold weather we've been having the last few weeks has really pushed things along.

I'm very excited to announce that I've started the ruffles on my shawl:
I was trying to figure out how many stitches are on my needles, 'cause it sure seems like a lot. If I calculated correctly, the last row before the ruffles was about 430 stitches. For the ruffles, I will be increasing 152 stitches on each of the first six rows and then knitting straight for the last six rows. Which I think means that at the end of the increases, I should have something like 1,300 stitches on the needles! Yikes...that's gonna be a fun cast-off! I've already done the first two increase rows and it's taking me over an hour to do a row now.

I also started yet another new project...convertible mittens for G. He has a store-bought pair that he frequently uses in the spring and fall for work (he has an outdoor job but he still needs to be able to write and stuff), but they are full of holes and falling apart. Here is the start of the first one:
I am basing these on the Broad Street pattern from Knitty, but with one significant difference:
If you can see here, the inside is the right side of stockinette too, because I'm double knitting them. I wanted to try to make them thicker since single-knit sport weight yarn doesn't seem all that warm to me. I'm not sure how it will come out, but they're moving along pretty quickly so I should know soon. And the fabric definitely feels really warm. The yarn I'm using is Gems Quartz merino in color "Finch" (now discontinued). It is a three-ply yarn with black, red, and gray, and I really like the way it knits up. The only annoying thing is this yarn likes to twist, but I'm dealing with it.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At September 12, 2006 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those mittens look like they will be really warm.
All those stitches on that shawl sound daunting! Wow! You are a brave woman!

 
At September 12, 2006 11:33 PM, Blogger Emma said...

Ah, I love reading your descriptions of the fall moving in. It gives me hope. We had a cool, cloudy day here in Oklahoma today, but the evening news says the temperature will creep back up into the 90s by the weekend. Boo!

 
At September 13, 2006 6:01 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

1300 stitches? Yikes! The mittens look great - nice and warm!

 
At September 13, 2006 10:29 AM, Blogger Brahdelt said...

I love the colour of the mittens, very Autumny. ^^

 
At September 13, 2006 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad everyone loved trellis (like there was ever a doubt!). Even though the ruffles are daunting, at least you're one step closer to finishing! Those gloves look awesome. Good idea with the double knitting. They'll probably be sturdier, too. I can't believe Fall is already here. I was just thinking how we were up in Maine with you guys this weekend last year.

 
At September 13, 2006 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, the Trellis wasn't *that* easy, was it?
I love the colour of the mittens; the flecks make it look warm despite the purplish hue. Very nice.
And good luck with 1300 stitches!! Man, that's a lot. But I really want to see this shawl blocked, it looks quite lovely even in this state.

 
At September 14, 2006 3:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, your shawl is going to look so stunning and elegant, I can't wait to see it once it's all finished! And I really love the mittens, they seem to be so cozy and warm - fantastic!

 
At September 17, 2006 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a lot of stitches...but judging from your work on Trellis, the finished shawl will be gorgeous. I'm glad you like "Sherwood"--hope you decide to give it a try!

 
At September 17, 2006 7:09 PM, Blogger Opal said...

Ha! You started the ruffles before I did and you thought I'd finish before you did! Haha! I'm not hysterical. Not at all! :-)

Your looks really great. Love the mittens too.

 
At September 20, 2006 11:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh trellis is so cute!!

i have to admit, I attempted those mittens and got horribly confused and abandoned them :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home