Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Goose Rescue and New Project

Here is a photo from my camping trip in New Hampshire last weekend...there was a BIG flock of Canada geese hanging out by this river. The reason I posted it today is that I had quite an adventure with a Canada goose yesterday afternoon (no photos, for reasons that will become apparent). I was walking home from work and got no more than 100 feet down the road when I spotted a solitary goose sitting on a lawn up ahead. I suddenly got a sinking feeling in my stomach, just knowing that there had to be something wrong with it...I can't stand seeing ill or injured animals! Yes, I know that's sometimes part of nature, but still it makes me so sad.

Anyway, I got within 10 feet of it and it was still sitting down. I crept closer and closer, knowing once I got close enough it would try to get away and then I could see what was wrong. Finally, it stood up and started hobbling away. The culprit? Fishing line tied tightly around both legs! I walked back to the office and called the fisheries and wildlife office that is only a mile or two away. The guy there basically laughed at me but said if it was still there tomorrow to call him back and maybe he'd be able to swing by (note: I live in a big hunting/right-wing community where someone who actually cares about something like a single little goose is considered a dirty hippie or even worse one of those "envernmennalists". Also a lot of people think Canada geese are basically pests though I would argue that the problems created by them have resulted mostly from human alterations to the environment...but that's a whole 'nother discussion).

Not willing to let the critter suffer another night if I could help it, I told my co-worker about the situation and being a fellow animal lover he agreed to help. Luckily, he happened to have a light fleece blanket in his car and a pocket knife. Out we went and threw the blanket over the goose. I gently held him while my co-worker extricated all the line from his legs, which was no mean feat. A length of line was perfectly wrapped around each leg and connected by a line in between, and it had been there long enough to have created a dent as his legs grew larger, though it hadn't become embedded or cut through the skin yet. The way it was wrapped almost made it look like someone had purposely done it to him (it didn't look randomly tangled)...but the thought of someone doing that makes me so sick...I really hope it isn't the case.

Well we got him all fixed up, took off the blanket and he waddled into the lake and started swimming away. He was even giving some gentle honks and I like to think maybe he was saying "thank you!" His legs looked a little funny, but hopefully he will recover. Today when I walked to work I didn't see him in the cove (didn't see a pile of feathers either) so I'm guessing he might be OK. At least he has a better chance now! Hooray for the Goose Rescue Squad!

Now that you made it through that long-winded story, I guess I'll get to the knitting...I'm almost done with the Trellis cardigan. I just need to block, seam, and knit the collar. While I do that, I decided to start a fun new project:
Can you tell what these are going to be (hee hee)?

Also, I was pleased to find out that I had won a prize in the Critter Charity Drive hosted by Rebekah over at Knit Knack:
Some cute stripe-y Cleckheaton wool, very fun! Thanks for hosting the Charity Drive, Rebekah, and thanks for the prize too :)

Well, that is enough writing for now...I'll leave you all with a nice calming photo of the lake this morning. Deep breaths now...it's almost Wednesday!

Labels:

13 Comments:

At August 15, 2006 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that poor goose. You did a good thing!

 
At August 16, 2006 5:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That poor little goose - but certainly quite a bit of luck for her that you came along, you did a really good thing!
And awww, I love your yarn - and that sunset pic you posted, this sent me off dreaming! Thanks for sharing!

 
At August 16, 2006 6:24 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Poor goose, but how nice of you to help it. I'm glad it worked out. I have the same Cleckheaton wool - so I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with yours!

 
At August 16, 2006 11:00 AM, Blogger Brahdelt said...

Exactly - hooray for the Goose Rescue Party!
I always thought hunting was okay if you do it because you have to feed your family, but nowadays in a northern hemisphere countries - who needs that when you have supermarkets?!... Hunting was never a sport for me, it makes me sick to think about killing animals for pleasure and fun, yuck!... If you are bored start collecting poststamps, you hunters!
Lovely wool you've won! ^-^ I wonder what are you going to turn it into? ^^

 
At August 16, 2006 11:59 AM, Blogger Opal said...

I'm so happy that you saved the goose! Go you! Great socks too.

 
At August 16, 2006 10:13 PM, Blogger JustApril said...

Just to help your poor head not worry too much, the skin was probably dented becaused the knots had been pulled tighter and tighter as the goose struggled. So it probably hadn't been on him/her long or the skin would have been cut. (I just saw notification that you just commented on my blog, too, that always confuses me when that happens!) =)*)

 
At August 16, 2006 11:11 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Great job on helping that poor goose! Love the color of your new socks (? fixation) and your prize yarn is very yummy too! Awesome sunset picture... :)

 
At August 17, 2006 3:06 AM, Blogger ICJ said...

Beautiful photo! Thanks! What lake is that?

And a big "YAY!!!" for the Goose Rescue Squad!!! You are the bestest! LOL

I'd say that your mystery project is... SOCKS! Christmas stocks?

Isabelle aka Tricotine

 
At August 17, 2006 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! I remember being totally shocked as I drove past one of the Bay Area bridges last month, watching a bird calmly walk across the freeway. There was nothing to do, and it amazingly made it across, but it made me sick to think of how we are just making it so difficult for any other creatures (other than cockroaches) survive in our world, no?

 
At August 18, 2006 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you said cardigan, I assume it's going to be a sleeve?

 
At August 18, 2006 1:14 PM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Be kind to your web-footed friends....well done, you! Red/white sox---play-off socks for Boston?

 
At August 23, 2006 6:44 PM, Blogger Casa Pearl said...

Yeah you to save that goose. They may be pesty but they are God's creatures the same as we are. Good karma will come I'm thinking!

 
At August 24, 2006 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I love that boat picture. And boy poor goose. I'm glad you were there to help.

Glad you enjoyed the prize.

Oh and I absolutely adore your moose/lace picture. Now that is priceless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home