Monday, May 15, 2006

Sock Success

Aaah! I knew I should have heeded the warnings of my subconscious!

Ha, ha, actually I think my hair came out fine...pretty much the same cut as I always get. Hey, I've been seeing the same stylist for two years now, I hope I don't get any surprises at this point!
I look kinda pissed off in that photo, but I swear I wasn't. Anyhoo, thanks for all the great comments about the dream--they definitely made me laugh.

I did get my fish scale socks wrapped up: Does everybody else find it as hard as I do to get a decent photo of socks? Here they are, in "Red Sox" mode:
And here you can see what life is like in my shoes...er, socks: Project Notes:
"Child's First Sock In Shell Pattern" orginally an 1899 sock pattern re-interpreted by Nancy Bush in her book Knitting Vintage Socks.
Worked in Jaeger Matchmaker Merino 4-ply, color "Strawberry" on US size 1 needles

The pattern was wonderful--very well written and the stitch pattern was pretty easy to memorize. I did make one mistake in forgetting to knit three plain rows before starting the toe decreases, but that didn't seem to affect wearability.

The yarn--eh. It was a bit splitty for my taste and it was completely impossible to get an even-looking cast-on. My theory is that it seemed to twist up easily and thus some of the cast-on was done with what was basically tighter-spun yarn. Maybe this was the fault of poor knitting technique, though? Also, the color looks more "Raspberry" than "Strawberry" to me, but I guess that's splitting hairs.

And that's all there is to say about that.

Labels:

16 Comments:

At May 15, 2006 7:03 PM, Blogger Emma said...

They're beautiful. That's such a great sock pattern. I need to try it soon!

 
At May 15, 2006 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love love love the socks. And your red sox reference. Is that why you knit them red? I don't know if that's a dense question... Oh, and I'm glad you didn't get a mullet. Cute cut.

 
At May 15, 2006 8:23 PM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Love the socks! Great pattern - I really need to get this book. And nice haircut - I was a bit scared at the first picture :-)

 
At May 16, 2006 2:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you sure shocked the heck out of me with that first pic - LOL!
I love your hairstyle, it suits you so fine! And your socks are absolutely fantastic - like you I always have problems taking pics of finished socks as I never know how to show them best - but you did indeed a perfect job with your modeling them!

 
At May 16, 2006 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lobstah you look lovely in that profile shot and nice hair!

And love the socks! Did you add reinforcing? I wish, I wish I understood baseball better, all the years I lived in Boston and saw this painful devotion around me to the Red Sox. Then they won a couple of years ago and I wished I had still been there to share it all.

 
At May 16, 2006 3:50 PM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

Gee, Lobstah - I really like the mullet!!!!
Cute cut and fab socks! Way to go from head to toe.

 
At May 16, 2006 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the haircut & the socks!! :)

.♥.

 
At May 16, 2006 4:38 PM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Are you under water?
Socks are charming--going to dig up Nancy Bush asap. Cute cute haircut--mullets still abound in the more remote counties in TX. ;)

 
At May 18, 2006 8:06 AM, Blogger tatjana said...

i love the hair, very cute and flippy...it kinda makes me long for hair that length again. but i feel so darn sexy with the mullet i have now...jk! :D

 
At May 18, 2006 10:10 AM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Sock KAL in the works--any ideas for title/name?

 
At May 18, 2006 3:15 PM, Blogger ICJ said...

I like your haircut and your Rapsberry socks! :)

Bad weather lately, huh?

I am south of Maine. Where are you?

Isabelle aka Tricotine
http://tricotine.blogspot.com

 
At May 19, 2006 12:26 AM, Blogger Zonda said...

Love the socks! I am getting the book in a swap and have seen this pattern knitted up a lot lately. Go soxs!

 
At May 19, 2006 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't know that fe-mullet is pretty hot!!

 
At May 19, 2006 11:40 PM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

The Sockratic Oath has been voted as the KAL name. I'll send you an invite when I've got the template beaten into submission--
I'm sad to say that that won't be the last of Wilson's trees to go--he's not a preventive pruner. All of mine now have summer crew cuts.

 
At May 20, 2006 1:30 PM, Blogger Opal said...

your haircut and your socks are both very lovely. I wish my hairstylist would get it together. But then what can I expect from Supercuts?

 
At May 26, 2006 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome socks! I just finished the same pair in STR!

Great pattern, isn't it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home