Tuesday, May 23, 2006

OK, so I definitely wasn't kidding about possibly going crazy knitting this shawl. I've been swatching over the last week, and let's just say...I hope I haven't gotten in over my head! My first swatch took about three tries before I *somewhat* got the hang of the pattern. This picture is of my last and best swatch and I still see some errors. The print o' the wave pattern just doesn't seem to lend itself to easy memorization. I'll be casting on this Memorial Day weekend...let's hope Flirty Ruffles is kinder to me than the swatch was!

I finally picked up the poor, abandoned Rebecca Wrap Cardigan again, and I'm cruising along on the fronts (done at the same time, bien sur).
I must say I'm especially pleased that I finally figured out how to do a sloped bind-off, thanks to Montse Stanley's Knitter's Handbook: Nice smooth bound-off edge. I'm not sure why it took me so long to do this, but I guess sometimes I'm just a little slow on the uptake (no wisecracks, now).

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At May 24, 2006 4:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, I think this swatch looks amazing, and hey, I can't detect a mistake in there! So I'm sure you'll be doing fine with the shawl!
Your cardi is coming along so fine as well, I'm absolutely impressed by the even and neat sloped bind-off you did - I'll never get this done as neatly, so thanks a lot for sharing the link to the explanation of this technique!

 
At May 24, 2006 4:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops - I just saw the link's leading to the amazon-page! Guess I'll have to order this book immediately, it seems to be very helpful!

 
At May 24, 2006 9:38 AM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Wow, you weren't kidding! Double-check Eunny's page for 'Print/Wave' shawl corrections. Ooops! I am such a ditz--I meant YOU, little missy. There's a Bonnie who leaves me comments--she's blogless and I'm clueless.
I love Montse, but DO NOT get Simply Fabulous Knitting--it's a collection based on her books.
Correcting blog now, or after one more cup of tea.

 
At May 24, 2006 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey it still looks very pretty! Black lace knitting is tough on the eyes and teeth (as you gnash them!), but totally worth it.

 
At May 24, 2006 4:55 PM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Ooooh, hazing. Hadn't thought of that. Blindfolded, you throw a pair of handknit socks into the washing machine and you have to push a button. Bwa-ha-ha. Now, where's my paddle?

 
At May 24, 2006 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will say again...I love the wrap cardigan pattern and the little "cat paws" it produces! it also looks insanely soft!!

good luck on your shawl!

.♥.

 
At June 03, 2006 11:16 AM, Blogger evergreenknits said...

Please don't give up on the print o'the wave pattern - after a few repeats, it'll become pretty intuitive. Just takes a little time of carefully following the pattern and trying to "read" the fabric before you get a sense of what to expect. I especially spent time learning to recognize from the beginning half-motif of each row which row of the pattern I was on - it's really helpful!

Good luck with the shawl!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home