Saturday, May 06, 2006

I've been so busy I haven't been able to post in a while! Work has been sucking up an inordinate amount of time (much to my chagrin); on a happier note G's grandparents visited us from Thursday until this morning, which kept us busy.

I did manage to finish up one sock:

Sort of an awkward pose, but I am really happy with the sock. My only complaint is it feels a bit tight around the top edge due to a tight cast-on, but I hate socks that fall down so hopefully this will counteract any stretching. Also, to answer Desi Knitter's question in the last comments regarding wrap and turn short rows...I followed the directions for this method in an article about short rows in the Winter 2004 issue of IK. According to that article, the method's purpose is to close the hole that would occur if you made the turn without wrapping. I suppose it may also increase the stability/strength of the heel, but I've never tried any other short row method so I'm not sure of this. I'm definitely not a short row expert...yet!

The weather has been so gorgeous here over the past week that we couldn't resist going hiking last Sunday. We got a lovely view of the lakes and mountains: Another fun thing this week was having some friends over for dinner and treating them to a "chocolate buffet" for dessert: This is the chocolate we brought home from Switzerland and holy cow is it good! Everybody had their favorites...I think mine are the raspberry (which has the delicate flavor of real raspberries, not yucky faux flavoring) and the milk chocolate with corn flakes mixed in. Three words: to die for!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At May 07, 2006 12:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmmm chocolate.
I need to try this short row reinforcing method, once i get out of my toe-up mood. the sock pattern is very pretty! hope you don't have an attack of SSS.

 
At May 07, 2006 3:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, the sock looks so pretty, what a great pattern! I absolutely love the photo you shared from your hiking trip, I wish I could be there now as well!
And yummy, what a chocolate buffet! Swiss chocolate might be the best one around, so I can imagine very well how much you enjoyed it all!

 
At May 07, 2006 7:00 PM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Beautiful sock...where did you find the pattern? Love the yarn. Thanks for the pointer to the directions on the short row heel - I'll have to try it. And yum on the chocolate!

 
At May 08, 2006 9:57 AM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Socks on fire! I think we've all been secretly brainwashed by the gamma rays coming off of those skeins in our stashes, said as she goes off to cast on for pair #2.
Just thinking about that chocolate makes me happy...

 
At May 08, 2006 4:14 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

very cute sock! very jealous of the hike and super, duper jealous of all the delicious chocolate!! :)

oh and you asked where the counterpane pattern came from..it's from Handknit Holidays...a very, very worthwhile knitting book!!

.♥.

 
At May 09, 2006 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh! Pretty sock! I love it. those hiking pictures look beautiful. Makes me want to get up to Maine again real soon!

 
At May 10, 2006 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice socks! I'm finally going to tackle a pair of socks this summer after I knock a few more gift items of The List o' Knitting.

 
At May 14, 2006 12:57 PM, Blogger Annie said...

Great socks! Very pretty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home