Saturday, April 29, 2006

We Have Heel

I am quite pleased with the heel, if I do say so myself! I've only made one other pair of socks (a year ago!) and my grasp of the whole short row concept is much better this time around. Not that I was unable to make them back then, it just seemed like a much larger hurdle at the time.

Here is a close-up of the short row heel:

I used the wrap-and-turn method...I'm not sure if this is what it's "officially" supposed to look like, but I think it looks nice and neat. The heel was stitched as slip 1, knit 1, which is why it has a ridged look.

How about an extreme close-up of the shell pattern, stretched out a bit? I really want to call this the fish scale sock, 'cause that's what it reminds me of! Isn't it amazing how fast you can knit a sock? Especially after making sweaters.

And finally, just thought I'd show you all how much gas has been costing in my town lately: Heh. I guess I better get back to listening to the Red Sox stink up the field. Man, I hope they get better soon. Ooh, they're rallying right now...

Labels:

10 Comments:

At April 29, 2006 10:48 PM, Blogger Zonda said...

Nice looking sock there! Love the gas sign too! I was visiting Carrieoke's blog (yay her!) and saw your blog name and knew you had to be from Maine...I was right!

I am a Mainer living in exile...(born + 26yrs), now in NC 16 yrs..we want to come home! I look forward to visiting your blog and trying not to get homesick :)

 
At April 30, 2006 9:54 AM, Blogger Prachi said...

Beautiful colour, Lobstah! I'm curious about the combination of heel flat and short row heel. Do the wrap and turns add extra reinforcement? I've only ever knit upto a certain point and turned back when turning the heel. This seems to be nicer, somehow.

 
At April 30, 2006 11:06 AM, Blogger Emma said...

Love the socks. I've been wanting to try that pattern too, and your look so lovely. Very inspirational!

 
At April 30, 2006 1:47 PM, Blogger Brahdelt said...

Nice colour! And the pattern is beautiful! I've just finished my big shawl and I think I'll knit a pair of socks, they really are the quick projects compared to sweaters and shawls! ^^

 
At May 01, 2006 12:35 AM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

Welcome home. And thank you for your picture tour!

My husband and I met in Italy playing Opera - it is a magical place. We were hoping to get back this summer for our 20th weding anniversary, but it is not going to happen. So thanks for the taste from your pics!!!

I love the little shell socks - they resemble the Pomotamus (sp?) but sweeter.

May I copy that gas sign? Our prices here are sky high too.

 
At May 01, 2006 8:41 AM, Blogger Casa Pearl said...

Oh your sock is gorgeous! Maybe if I master my current one, I can move on to something like this. I love your heel too. Thanks for the chuckle with the gas sign.

 
At May 01, 2006 1:31 PM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Very pretty fish scale sock. Am I a traitor for checking out Johnny Damon on Planet Yankee?

 
At May 02, 2006 4:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi from Austria! I absolutely love your sock, the pattern is amazing and the color certainly rocks! Great work done!
I wonder if gas ever will get cheaper again? Or will it rise up into unimaginable heights? It's a shame indeed....

 
At May 02, 2006 6:50 PM, Blogger Jen (pieKnits) said...

Oh what a nice pattern! Looks fantastic. Great job on the heel, it looks very neat.

 
At May 04, 2006 9:37 PM, Blogger eve knits said...

Your sock looks great! I love the color too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home