Sunday, April 02, 2006

Sugaring Time

Who doesn't love some maple syrup? (All you freaks who prefer that fake Log Cabin crap can just skedaddle along now...he he he)
Yesterday we got to check out a working sugarhouse! Welcome to the Barker Sugarhouse:

Inside, the wood-fired sap boilers were working away: And at one end, some syrup was going through a final filter before bottling. You wouldn't believe how much dirt comes out of syrup in the filtering. Yummm...syrup! And the whole time we were in there, they were feeding us samples of maple-roasted peanuts, ice cream with syrup, maple candy, and "shots" of pure syrup. It was maple syrup heaven!

Oh yeah, I got Cherie's problems all worked out over the weekend and she looks wonderful. I will post some photos before I leave this week.

Edited to add: Just wanted to say that I didn't do the "Flash your Stash" because (gasp!) my stash is so small and pitiful, it would've been embarrassing. Seriously, all I have are about 5 skeins of some random Bartlett Yarn, 5 or 6 balls of cream-colored All Seasons Cotton, and about 20 little balls of left-over crap. Not too exciting.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At April 03, 2006 10:32 AM, Blogger JustApril said...

mmmmmmm YUMMY! There ain't nuthin' like the real thing baby, la la la la la.

me jealous =)

 
At April 03, 2006 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wahoo! I've always been SUPER fascinated with the maple syrup process (I think it started as a really young kiddo reading the little house on the prairie series!) I would absolutely LOVE to go do something like that! how fun!

 
At April 03, 2006 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, that looks like so much fun (and delicious). I'm ashamed to admit I used to like the log cabin stuff until I moved to New England. I'm worried I might have served that to you and G when I made the three-hour french toast. I can't wait to see Cherie. You can parade all over Europe in her!

 
At April 03, 2006 11:57 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Wow.. I bet that was really interesting. I've seen all the work that goes into syrup on Good Eats. (Food channel, he's great!) But it seems like seeing it in person would be waayy better.. especially with the sampling.. lol

Don't feel bad about calling my pillows ugly. They came with the couch and I even told the sales lady that I hated them and she said "Well pillows are easy to replace.. you could just get some blue ones" Now I wish I had gotten her to pull some kind of strings to get us better ones.. but whatever. lol.

 
At April 03, 2006 12:03 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

that place sounds great!! :)

thanks for the comments on my stash! and yes, I shall be able to keep busy! lol.

sounds like you have a fair stash...but I can understand not wanting to flash. I thought I had a lot till i saw some of the other entries..holy crap!

.♥.

 
At April 04, 2006 1:39 PM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

Nice! Yummy! We tapped maples on my grandmother's (upstate NY) when I was young and made our own syrup. Didn't get much, but the adventure was there.
Thanks for reminding me of those days long ago.

LOL - your stash sounds like mine. It seems like a lot of yarn to me, but to see some of the others ~ wow! No flashing for me either...

 
At April 04, 2006 3:04 PM, Blogger JustApril said...

Funny you said that about my blanket project, b/c that was my whole idea in making it huge, I just didn't know it would be 5'1" huge LOL. I never have liked making plain old blankets, and the ones my kids are loving the most are the bigger ones that they use as they get older. I did one other once, but it was before I was a blogger, and it was this pattern sortof as well. =) not THIS big, though LOL

 
At April 04, 2006 8:22 PM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

I just want to fix me up some hoe cakes right now! I said hoe, not HO.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home