Wednesday, April 05, 2006

It Ain't Over til it's Over

I guess spring decided to take a temporary leave of absence; this morning there are a couple inches of snow! I don't think it will last long. I'm actually kind of glad we got it, because it was getting way too dry around here--we need to get those lakes filled back up for the summer season!

Well, as promised here are some photos of Cherie. I must've been standing strangely in this first one, because it's wrinkled up a bit. It looks OK in real life though! Here is a photo sans flash, which shows the color of the yarn better:Here's a close-up of the buttons. You can also see my tubular bind-off...I love the way it blends right into the ribbing. I did tubular cast-on for the bottom ribbing as well. So there you have it...another Lobstah production!
Pattern notes: "Cherie" designed by Kim Hargreaves from the book Vintage Knits. Used 10 balls of Rowan Yorkshire Tweed DK in Color #354 "Gust". Knit with US size 4 and size 5 needles. I think I sufficiently documented the pattern problems I had. The only yarn problem I had was that even within the same dye lot, there was quite a bit of variability in yarn thickness that made it difficult to maintain gauge. The yarn is quite soft for a tweed (though it does feel slightly itchy, which will hopefully subside with wearing/washing). Interestingly, there was a fair amount of vegetative matter in the yarn which I've never encountered with Rowan before. Overall, I think I would use the yarn again...especially because I've been in love with tweed lately!

Well, this should be my last post for a bit, as we are leaving for vacation tomorrow evening. Everyone take care and I'll see you in a couple weeks! :)

Labels:

11 Comments:

At April 05, 2006 9:41 AM, Blogger JustApril said...

It looks really good! No sign of trouble on the neck =)

I have serious issues with binding off too tight -- even when I use needles 2 - 4 sizes larger. Is the tubular bind off stretchier?

 
At April 05, 2006 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, Cheri looks awesome, as do your photos. The boatneck turned out perfectly. Nice closeup of the buttons! Have a great time in Europe and take tons of pictures.

 
At April 05, 2006 11:53 AM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Kudos on that neckline--verrry nice. Just perfect for your trip--have a great time!

 
At April 05, 2006 2:50 PM, Blogger Jenn said...

the sweater looks great! i can't wait till I have a finished piece as nice as this!

isn't weather weird? it's snowing there and here in Tennessee it's 70 degrees. craziness!

sooo jealous of your vacation! enjoy!

.♥.

 
At April 05, 2006 4:47 PM, Blogger Brahdelt said...

Good job with your sweater!
Have a good time on your vacations! ^^

 
At April 06, 2006 8:46 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Beautiful sweater, and love the collar. Have a nice vacation!

 
At April 06, 2006 8:51 AM, Blogger lobstah said...

Thanks everyone! :)

April--The tubular bind off can be either stretchy or tight depending on how tight you pull the yarn as you bind off. I made mine pretty tight so that the edge wouldn't ripple.

Kelly--Ha ha, don't worry if you gave me Log Cabin syrup! I grew up on that stuff too and it's OK, just not as good as real syrup.

Be back soon!

 
At April 06, 2006 11:18 AM, Blogger tatjana said...

your Cheri fits so nicely! i love it! we got an expected smack o' winter here in S Germany too yesterday, but now it's gorgeous out...go figure.
have a great vacation :D

 
At April 07, 2006 6:51 AM, Blogger Pam said...

I am knitting a sweater from Melissa Leapman's Book: Close knit Family with Rowan Aranspun Tweed. The color is a beautiful green, but it is coarse feeling. No plants or animals in it.
I like the bindoff. I have done it when asked but never think of it myself

 
At April 08, 2006 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's so classy!! looks awesome on you!

 
At April 24, 2006 4:52 PM, Blogger Emma said...

The snow looks beautiful, and the sweater is amazing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home