Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Finally, Some Skiing

So, for the second time this "winter" (note the quotation marks), I went x-country skiing! Sunday was a beautiful day (actually a little too warm) and I hit the local trail with G. There I am! Whee! Did you notice I'm wearing my Panta? The picture's a little small, but trust me, I'm wearing it!

I learned how to go dowhill with less fear and more control. Only after G MADE ME DO IT, though. The first time I *screamed* as I went down. Then I realized that I had, indeed, survived, so I didn't have to scream any more. I also learned to snowplow to control my speed. Snowplowing on x-country skis feels a bit different than on downhill skis! All in all, I had an awesome time! This is such a great sport...it is so fun and I really like that it gives your arms a workout, which most physical activities I enjoy don't do (does knitting count?) I'm going to try to go a couple days this week after work. The last time I checked the weather, it might rain this weekend, which unfortunately may mean the end of snow this year. Then again, we sometimes get storms into April, so who knows?

I was very excited to receive the Knitting Pattern-a-Day calendar from my friend L in the mail! She got this for me for Christmas but forgot to bring it on our ski trip a few weeks ago. It was kinda fun getting to tear through the first two months of patterns right away...but now I'm gonna be patient and only look at the pattern on the day I'm supposed to. I found a few intriguing patterns that have been added to the pattern stash (which is actually scarier than my yarn stash).

Cherie's arms are growing: And in a sure sign of spring, I started my seeds this weekend:

Pretty much all flowers, except for some Early Girl tomatoes and Sungold cherry tomatoes. I grow tomatoes in pots, and between that and the short, frigid growing season here they never really thrive. But darn it, I try every year, and the few tomatoes I get out of it are worth it. We'll see how everything does...I usually have some brilliant successes and some abject failures when it comes to my gardening.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At March 07, 2006 7:48 PM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Webs.com is having a sale on Alchemy'Lone Star' FYI. The snow looks great--we hit 80 degrees yesterday. Now, all you need is a rifle and you're all set for the biathlon;)

 
At March 08, 2006 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you've been busy! The cross-country skiing looks pretty fun. Where do you go? Just around in the woods or are there trails around?

Cherie's looking pretty, too.

Bummer you guys can't come up this weekend for the draft. It's hard on a Sunday, though. K said you all are planning on coming up for St. Patty's? Any truth in that?

I'm definitely down for a Jewel KAL. We should plan that.

 
At March 09, 2006 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww, me & j were going to go skiing, but ended up staying b/c we're poor students :(

i wish we had snow!

 
At March 10, 2006 2:26 PM, Blogger Jen (pieKnits) said...

Thanks for the comment! I got the Knitting pattern-a-day calendar too, only you're much more patient than me- I peeked :)

 
At March 11, 2006 10:03 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Hey There!
Looks like we got all the winter this year... Last weekend we had a storm that dumped about two feet in a 12 hour period - setting a record in Zurich and today it is snowing again in Munich. But I don't seem to be getting sick of it for some reason. Everyone thinks I'm nuts.

Glad to see you got a new camera. You will need it when you come to visit. Marius and I started planning last night at dinner and have some fun ideas :)

 
At March 11, 2006 2:07 PM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

Nice skiing shot! How nice to be in a location where you are able to do something like cross country ski - we live in a suburb of a very large urban area and just do not have that type of beauty around us. No snow, either.

As for WIPs, I am trying like crazy to turn them into FOs - but I also have a short attention span.... must go back a few rows on Mom's papaya shawl. Darn YOs!

No seedlings here, but the geraniums are blooming and so are the azaleas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home