Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Denial, Anger, Acceptance

So while I was pinning out Cherie's pieces last week, I noticed a small detail that was bugging me. I tried to ignore it, but as the pieces were drying the problem continued to lurk in the back of my mind. The perfectionist portion of my brain informed me that I could not ignore it any longer. You see, the new ball of yarn I got must have been from a different dye lot (somehow I forgot to save one of the ball bands from the original yarn, so who knows?). Or maybe it was just at the opposite end of the natural variability that is characteristic of this yarn. Sorry about the teeny photo, but you can probably still see the "line" very distinctly across the middle. Gah! I spent three hours ripping back to the start of the raglan arm shaping and re-knitting it with alternating old and new yarn.

It is much better, but I can kind of see a stripe pattern if I look really closely. Hopefully no one will be staring at my back that intently!

After re-blocking, I started seaming and finishing last night. So far I have sewed three of the four raglan seams, picked up the stitches for the collar, and knitted about an inch of said collar. I suspect the collar may not end up as "boatneck-y" as the photo...it seems kind of pulled in to me. Actually, my suspicions started when I was knitting the front piece and the top bound-off edge looked narrower than that in the photo. I also tried holding the piece up to me to get a sense of fit, and the top seemed really high considering there would be another couple inches of ribbed collar. But maybe once the sides are seamed and I block the collar it will drape into place. Either way, I think it will turn out fine.

I finished up the Glimmer scarf Friday night. The whole thing only took about 2 hours, so that was fun! Speed knitting! Here is a photo:

This will be a fun spring scarf. I was worried the Glimmer yarn would be a bit itchy due to the gold flakes, but after spritzing it with water and blocking, it feels fine. Project notes: "Glimmer Scarf", "designed" by me! (I'm sure a million people have already done the same pattern hence the quotation marks around "designed"!) Knit on US Size 13 needles with two balls Rowan Glimmer Print in color "Lavish Pink".

Here's the pattern as requested (though I think you already figured it out, Joanna!):

Cast on 8 stitches. Knit two rows garter stitch. *Next row: Knit into stitches 1 through 7, wrapping the yarn twice for each stitch. Knit the last stitch plain. Next row: Slip every stitch as though to knit, letting the double-wrapped yarn drop to create an elongated stitch. Move all the stitches back onto the left needle without twisting (Maybe twisting would add an interesting look though?). Knit every elongated stitch. Then knit garter stitch for the next three rows. Repeat from * until you run out o' yarn!

Oh yeah...I'm definitely counting the days 'til vacation! We're down to T minus 11...

Labels:

7 Comments:

At March 28, 2006 9:16 PM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

I feel your pain about the different color hues. I wore the VKHol'05 sweater to death in Japan and didn't think about it...much. It's a knitter thing to obsess. You've spent so much time with that yarn that you know every bloody inch. As for looms--they're really expensive and I still don't know what weavers do with their work--kit out the family in broadcloth? How many table runners can you give away? Have a great vacation if I you don't post before then. Ambien is great for jetlag and skip the Bulgari The Rouge in duty free--it smells like powder.

 
At March 29, 2006 12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

denial, anger, acceptance indeed when I couldn't ignore my BIG heel on my sock any longer *sigh* This was after knitting on the foot for a good number of inches!! it will be ripped! booo

 
At March 29, 2006 10:08 AM, Blogger Phoebe said...

Love the Glimmer scarf! Very cool yarn and your creativity!

 
At March 29, 2006 5:00 PM, Blogger Prachi said...

Hey lobstah, you're a good one to actually frog! it feels painful now, but you'll pat yourself on the back later on!
that scarf looks very nice!

 
At March 30, 2006 4:32 PM, Blogger Jen (pieKnits) said...

Congrats on getting through the rework, how frustrating!
Thanks for the nice comment- definitely sharing in the knitter angst :)

Like the scarf too, that's really unique yarn. I hadn't see it before.

 
At March 31, 2006 7:59 AM, Blogger JustApril said...

I really like that scarf =)

yes that's me singing =)

 
At April 01, 2006 4:39 PM, Blogger Brahdelt said...

Oh, I love the scarf! ^^ Elongated stitch, I thought so because I knitted a scarf using this technique. But I must try with thicker yarn and bigger needles - I've just bought a VERY big size in Sweden!... (*^-^*)
Sorry to hear you had to frog your sweater, I hate frogging. ><

 

Post a Comment

<< Home