Friday, March 31, 2006

Big Sighs

Does this look like a boatneck sweater to you? No? I didn't think so. Thankfully it hasn't been too hard to fix. I unraveled the collar, ripped out the raglan seams, and then frogged each of the body and sleeve pieces by about two inches. Bound off, re-sewed the raglan seams, and picked up for the collar again. And here is what we are looking like at the moment:Certainly bears a greater resemblance the pattern photo than before. I am not sure how it'll look once I bind the collar off (the stitches are all scrunched up on the needles right now), but so far it looks much better.

The question is, what went awry here? I really can't figure it out. My gauge is correct. I re-read the pattern many times, both while knitting (especially after I had my initial suspicions about the neckline being weird, as I mentioned in my last post), and again after knitting the collar and discovering that the neckline definitely was weird. I'm 99% sure I didn't make any mistakes knitting the pattern. So that seems to leave only two possibilities:

1) My body type is so bizarrely off the norm that the pattern as written would fit most people but not me. I'd be shocked if this was the case, since I generally have no trouble fitting into standard sizes. Also, I don't see how the collar as I originally knit it could stretch around anyone's shoulders, except maybe a three-year-old's.

2) The pattern is fudged up. The weird thing is that I found one other blogger, here, that knit this pattern and her's looks fine. I can't find a reference to any major pattern problems. I'm wondering if the original version of the book as published by Rowan was fine, but the reprint that I have by Trafalgar Square Press is screwed up?

Hmph! I may never know...but as long as I get a wearable garment in the end I'll be happy! At least the weather has been gorgeous--I think it was 60 degrees or more today! Hope you all have a delightful weekend! :)

Labels:

5 Comments:

At April 01, 2006 11:54 AM, Blogger JustApril said...

If you really are worried about how it's going to look, you can thread a piece of yarn or a longer smaller circ thru the stitches and get a better idea. It's a hassle I know, but a little less of a hassle than tearing out the cast off edge =][

probably already cast off by now tho? =)

 
At April 01, 2006 3:36 PM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

I think both necklines look good, but after seeing the pictures you saw, I understand what you mean. It looks like the other knitter made the neck much lower (the body shorter?) so it spread out more. Did you email her to see if she altered the pattern?

Anyway, it is wonderful that you can fix it. I would be floundering.
Great work!

 
At April 01, 2006 9:31 PM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Drag. Could you put back stitches on holder, drop a few rows back on front, then start edge? BO front. Knit back stitches from higher row count. BO. Then seam your neck edges. Make sense? I just don't know if you'll get that true boatneck vibe on circulars. My 2%. Where's the stash, dear homarus?

 
At April 02, 2006 5:28 PM, Blogger lobstah said...

Thanks for all you sympathies & suggestions!

April--yeah, I know I *should* have done that, but I was too lazy. Thankfully it came out OK the last time!

Knittinreed--I agree that the "turtleneck" looked OK too, I just had my heart set on the wide neck. I completely didn't think to email that other knitter-duh! She definitely made the neck lower and that's what I did too.

Ms. Mary--You're right, it's definitely not a true boatneck...more of a wide neck opening.

 
At April 02, 2006 6:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, how frustrating! I think once you pull out a few rows it will look a lot better. It's already looking more like the book photo in your second picture. It looks like it will all work out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home