Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Rowan Arrives

This weekend in Boston was fun but...brrr! The wind howling through those high-rise buildings will get ya! It wasn't an overly eventful weekend. We went out for a couple of yummy meals, walked around and checked out some stores, went to bars, etc. We also saw Blue Man Group, which was kind of dorky but very entertaining. I'm not generally into the whole 'audience participation' thing, but the show was fun (especially since they didn't pick me to do anything). My friend also took a photo of me with the Blue Men after the show, which I can't wait to see (has to be developed first). I also gave my friend the scarves I made, and she loved them!

While I was gone, the new Rowan made its appearance in my mailbox. My general thought is...eh. There are some cute things but nothing that I am dying to make right away. Here are the items that I'm digging:
Left: Bliss, a little cropped wrap sweater.


Right: Jewel, a fair isle tie-front cardigan






Left: I think this one is called "Lizzie." It's a cardigan in All-seasons cotton, which is a fave yarn of mine. I have a feeling that this may be the most popular pattern in this issue.

And to the right, "Nicole"...I love this design, except for the crop length. Gah! Who can wear that stuff anyway? I might try to re-work this pattern to be regular length...we'll see.



I managed to get Tidal Wave blocking last night:

I am sensing that this sweater might have the same problem as I did with the other sweater I made with this yarn...too long! The body seems to be about 3 or 4 cm too long and the sleeves are about 4 cm too long, even though I swear I measured carefully while knitting. At least this explains why I ran out of yarn. Oh well, I'll put it together and see how it looks. If it's bad, I don't know if I can rip this yarn again, it was already looking a bit ratty from the first time. I did manage to find an extra ball of this yarn over the weekend to do the turtleneck...if I get that far! I really need to work on my sizing/gauge issues, as it seems to be the one thing that trips me up a lot.

I also cast on for Cherie: I did the famous tubular cast-on, and it looks great. This is the ribbing for the bottom of the sweater. I think this will be a pretty boring knit (lots o' stockinette), but at least that makes it easy to do while watching movies!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At February 23, 2006 5:12 PM, Blogger Mary, Mary... said...

Tidal Wave is looking great! I want to see a close-up of one of the diamonds. Can't wait to see the Blue Man pic.

 
At February 25, 2006 12:40 AM, Blogger Knittinreed said...

Good for your friend loving your hand-made (with love) scarves. And thanks for the comment on my sock - it does look like sherbet!!

Tidal Wave is georgous!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home