Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Recycling

After much trial and tribulation, I managed to frog an entire sweater and get it back to this state: I had a funny photo of what it looked like before this week (a half-frogged, tangled mess!) but I accidently deleted it. Which is a bummer because now you can't see the dramatic transformation. So much for drama.

Anyhoo, here we have Rowan Plaid that was once my very first sweater, Freya from Rowan 36. It didn't come out very well...let's just say it was about two sizes too big. Plus, the trim along the bottom made it sag even more. Altogether not a pretty sight. As soon as I finished the sweater, I started ripping it, but got frustrated and threw it in a plastic bag. There it sat for the last year. Finally last week I decided it would be a shame to waste all that nice (expensive) yarn. I sat down and patiently ripped the entire thing, washed the yarn to get the kinks out, and wound it into balls.

Then I laid them out on the floor as you see in the photo above and left them there for a day.

Yesterday, when I came home for lunch, this is what I found: "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, can't prove anything." Luckily he didn't cause much of problem, mostly he just pulled off a yard or two from each ball. Love his oh-so-innocent look. Quincy is absolutely fascinated by this yarn. I'm guessing it's the stripiness that catches his eye. If I have some leftovers, I'll have to make a cat toy out of it.

Last night I cast on and starting knitting my new project with this, Tidal Wave (scroll down just a tiny bit, it's the pink sweater right at the top) from the Rowan Plaid Collection booklet. Here's what I have so far:This should be a pretty quick knit, which would definitely be a novelty for me. I think this pattern should be a much better fit for the yarn, since it has no heavy trim and is much shorter than Freya.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At February 01, 2006 7:16 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Gosh, Quincy is lucky he's so cute. Otherwise, he'd be in big trouble! Good for you for frogging Freya. If you're not going to wear it, it's a shame not to. I like your new pattern selection. I think it will be a good match with the yarn's bulk. Talk to you soon!

 
At February 03, 2006 9:44 AM, Blogger Sam said...

Hi there,

I found your blog from a post on Knitter's Review, and I was wondering about the lobster reference in your title. I live not too far away- in Nova Scotia.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home