Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Warm Wool for Cold Hands

Now that winter seems to have permanently set in (at least until May), I really need a pair of warm hand coverings of some sort. I have a couple of store-bought pairs, but they're not the greatest. As such, I started a new project over the long weekend:

These are a version of the "Labrador Diamonds" pattern from Robin Hansen's book Favorite Mittens. I am knitting them in Bartlett Yarn Fisherman's Two-Ply. The color is a delightful salmon-y pink, which is a wonderful thing after slogging through G's dull green and gray pair that I made (guys pick the most boring colors). I started this mitten on Friday night and finished it Saturday during our drive down to Boston. I should have the pair finished by the end of this week, I hope. It's been quite cold!

New Year's in Boston was OK. It was a pretty small party, as many of the "usual suspects" had other commitments that prevented them from coming. As such, I didn't get to go wild this year...hmmm...on second thought that is probably a good thing. Last year, my flailing arms came dangerously close to permanently destroying one of our friend's beloved UConn bobbleheads. That was a little embarassing. Maybe I just need dance lessons?

We drove home Sunday night kind of late, and listened to the Dr. Demento show's top 25 songs for 2005, which I've never heard before. This show is definitely a weird little slice of nerd culture. If you've never heard of him, Dr. Demento plays funny, joke-y, spoof type songs. Most of the songs were pretty cheesy, but there was one hilarious one called "My Cat is Afraid of the Vacuum Cleaner" by Power Salad. I could not stop laughing! (Disclaimer: Not sure if this song is really funny, it may just be my strange sense of humor. Or maybe I was really tired. Or a combination of the two).


Labels:

2 Comments:

At January 04, 2006 3:38 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Hey, I totally forgot about your crazy arms and kobus's beloved bobblehead! Between that and the meat throwing from the year before, it's shocking you didn't do anything crazy this year:) Love the mitten, as you know from watching me drool over them this weekend.

 
At March 20, 2006 11:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, glad you thought "My Cat Is Afraid of the Vacuum Cleaner" was hilarious. Yes, it was indeed supposed to be funny, but amazing how many folks thought it was hilarious! It is now available on our new album "Power Salad 3: Sweat Equity", at www.powersalad.com or www.marianth.com/records ...Thanks!

Chris/Power Salad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home